Spanish apartments cheaper than mohos

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dorwyn, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Idly watched a couple of winter sun progs on Ch 4 today, there were some nice looking 1 bed apartments in Lanzagrotty for £43,000. Amazing value. No wheels though! I guess there are cheap flights, although I haven't checked them out, and I'm not sure that I'd want to go to the same place each time. The thing I like about camping cars is the choice of places you can go. I love that feeling of freedom when you get behind the wheel.

Even so, it makes you reconsider your values.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yup.. you can fly there cheaper than drive !
    trouble is, you do not like the neighbours and you canna really up sticks and move the apartment down the road a bit !

• Like Like x 6
  3. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Some of the chalets on the campsites in Spain don't seem a lot dearer than a pitch.
    And you get your own flushing inside loo and a bath! Lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If cost were the only consideration, few would have a motorhome..

• Like Like x 14
  5. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

It would be nice to be able to fly over for some winter sun and let it out for the rest of the year..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

There are pros and cons with everything isn't there? MoHo, caravan, static, apartment, all have good and bad points. What suits one family won't suit another.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

With the motorhome it will have a resale value & you have the likelihood that you will always be able to sell it for a sensible price. I can find you stuff here for as low as 10k. What you have to remember is that now it is equivalent to putting the money in a bin & setting it on fire. Chances of selling if you needed to , in your lifetime, are remote , very remote.

If you want to let out do it in the UK . Get a dodgy tenant here & you've no chance. can't even cut off water /electric as it is illegal.:LOL:

• Like Like x 4
  8. jumar

jumar Funster

Good idea, but I think someone has beaten you to it, well the 675,000 empty unlet/unsold properties that are up for grabs.
    Made the number up but there are loads, my Spanish bank owns buckets full of them, can I buy one please Mr Bank Director, NO........ you have to buy at least 10, even that seems a lot for me a current account holder.
    A near relative of ours bought off plan with exactly the same Idea, got a couple of weeks bookings in the whole period of ownership, had difficulty in keeping up mortgage payments, and finally WALKED AWAY, leaving the keys at the bank. Sad story but not uncommon.

• Like Like x 3
  9. peter marshall

peter marshall

When I was having difficulty getting my licence, we thought about firstly a fixed chalet in Benidorm but the sites want around 4000 Euros site fees per year, secondly an apartment plenty going cheap but then your stuck in one place likewise a chalet, so we changed to a caravan so can still get around all be it perhaps not has much has in a MO Ho but still mobile. Pete

• Like Like x 6
  10. peter marshall

peter marshall

We also have friends who live out there full time one I think are ok, the other couldn't sell if they wanted to their urbanization has dropped in price to about half what they paid so stuck there with no capital to come back. Pete

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I'm not planning to buy, as was said there are plusses and minuses each way. It is the value for money, bricks and mortar compared to the high cost of Mohos that I was highlighting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. busby

busby Funster

Not that easy to let as there are so many of them.Friend of mine has a sea view apartment in Fuegarola,,says she just about breaks even on her lettings. BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We use our MH far more than the bricks and mortar properties that we could use. If we had the choice of one or the other, our MH would be the one.

14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I am quite happy with our place in Benidorm. Community fee Inc water €1400 a year only thing extra is electric as we use it. Feel comfortable that I could rent easy for holidays or long term. Plus as I have done every year can drive down in Motorhome and leave it in storage for €1.20 a day.. Just arrived now on a £70 return flight.. :)

• Like Like x 6
  15. campa cola

campa cola Funster

You can't legally cut off someone's water in Scotland.....and the chavs all know it.

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Interesting ... is your motorhome covered by your insurer when it is left there?

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

At least they motorhome will always be yours.
    Spaniards have a nasty habit of building without proper permission and you may find you dont actually own the apartment as it was built illegally.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Bricks and mortar are a better investment, assuming it's investment you want.
    We have a place in Fuengirola that we have a long term let on.
    Same as any property investment, it has to be the right place, the right type of property and has to be aimed at the correct area of the market. Entry level property is not the place to be.
    As for freedom, the motorhome offers that and we enjoy it more.
    Horses for courses.

19. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

We,ve discovered that an apartment near the site we've stayed at in previous years is actually the same price per month as the pitch! We're in an apartment now with the motorhome parked outside! Bit daft really!

• Like Like x 4
  20. wanderer

wanderer Funster

You will be lucky to have any neighbours most of these complexes are empty of people . We visited some friends in mazaron last winter who rented an apartment and it was like a ghost town ,

• Like Like x 2