Tour Guide Wanted Southern Ireland (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Odyssey 92
Exp
I’m a newbie and lovin’ it.
Hello, we would really like to hear from/speak to any Funsters who can give advice and recommendations for visiting southern Ireland. We leave in about 5 weeks time, we have only 2 weeks for our holiday and don't really want yo drive long distances every day, every other day is fine though 🙂.

We sail into Dublin at 6pm, so need a campsite quite near there as that will be the end of a long day.

Any recommendations welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We was there this year for three weeks. Enjoy :drinks:

On this latest trip to Ireland It was suggested we should complete the Atlantic Way.
A planned route is far too organised for us although we did keep finding we was on the Atlantic way but it does cover the whole of the West coast for 1600 miles.
Many routes in Ireland can get pretty narrow and naggery and that is the charm, the people are so patient and courteous it’s never an issue. Our Motorhome is just 7mts but was never a problem - except when a stone wall disguised as grass bank got me
There is some fabulous scenery and very unusual landscapes
Basically we meandered between visits to towns on the way to overnight stops on the coast. There is hundreds of harbour's piers and dock all over the west coast and even on the lakes. We searched out a local one near too us every night on Park4night especially if we needed water or the cassette needed emptying. We had absolutely no reason to book onto a campsite.
The roads are mostly quiet bur do not drive in Dublin, the traffic is horrendous, catch a commuter train in to the city. Any of the other bigger towns are also worth a visit but they are all very busy. There is a short stretch of Toll motorway around Dublin. It is very cheap but we avoided it because of the need to find how to pay
Killarney was lovely. Tipperary even though ‘it’s a long way' was a disappointment.
We only went into the north for one day and without any bother but did find an English Tesco and an LPG supplier in Enniskillen.
The cost of living and fuel are about the same --- except for any booze, which almost double UK prices - stock up!
We tended to stop at Lidl almost daily as the have huge selection of fresh bread products. We would buy a baguette (0.69E) and have a French type lunch of meat and cheese.
Be aware though that there are very few laybys on Irish roads so stopping on the road for lunch was always a task.
The Irish are crazy for whippy ice creams - with a flake 2E. We had to have one almost everyday
The Irish people are so lovely, chatty and so laid back - nothing is a problem.
We spent almost three weeks aimlessly touring and you can tell we totally enjoyed it. Even the P&O ferry from Liverpool turned out to be a good choice

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi there. :)

Look at joining Total Motorhome Ireland, which gives you access to the online map of the whole of Ireland, (North & South), with stopovers at sites, pubs, marinas, and ferry ports, etc, etc.

The map also shows gas and Autogas locations. It is a godsend when touring the Emerald Isle.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
QueenD
Oct 20, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Odyssey 92
Exp
We was there this year for three weeks. Enjoy :drinks:

On this latest trip to Ireland It was suggested we should complete the Atlantic Way.
A planned route is far too organised for us although we did keep finding we was on the Atlantic way but it does cover the whole of the West coast for 1600 miles.
Many routes in Ireland can get pretty narrow and naggery and that is the charm, the people are so patient and courteous it’s never an issue. Our Motorhome is just 7mts but was never a problem - except when a stone wall disguised as grass bank got me
There is some fabulous scenery and very unusual landscapes
Basically we meandered between visits to towns on the way to overnight stops on the coast. There is hundreds of harbour's piers and dock all over the west coast and even on the lakes. We searched out a local one near too us every night on Park4night especially if we needed water or the cassette needed emptying. We had absolutely no reason to book onto a campsite.
The roads are mostly quiet bur do not drive in Dublin, the traffic is horrendous, catch a commuter train in to the city. Any of the other bigger towns are also worth a visit but they are all very busy. There is a short stretch of Toll motorway around Dublin. It is very cheap but we avoided it because of the need to find how to pay
Killarney was lovely. Tipperary even though ‘it’s a long way' was a disappointment.
We only went into the north for one day and without any bother but did find an English Tesco and an LPG supplier in Enniskillen.
The cost of living and fuel are about the same --- except for any booze, which almost double UK prices - stock up!
We tended to stop at Lidl almost daily as the have huge selection of fresh bread products. We would buy a baguette (0.69E) and have a French type lunch of meat and cheese.
Be aware though that there are very few laybys on Irish roads so stopping on the road for lunch was always a task.
The Irish are crazy for whippy ice creams - with a flake 2E. We had to have one almost everyday
The Irish people are so lovely, chatty and so laid back - nothing is a problem.
We spent almost three weeks aimlessly touring and you can tell we totally enjoyed it. Even the P&O ferry from Liverpool turned out to be a good choice
Thank you. We were worried about booking/nit booking campsites in advance.

OP
OP
QueenD
Oct 20, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Odyssey 92
Exp
Hi there. :)

Look at joining Total Motorhome Ireland, which gives you access to the online map of the whole of Ireland, (North & South), with stopovers at sites, pubs, marinas, and ferry ports, etc, etc.

The map also shows gas and Autogas locations. It is a godsend when touring the Emerald Isle.

Good luck,

Thanks Jock, I'll give TMI a go! 😊

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks Jock, I'll give TMI a go! 😊
As a result of the TMI information available, we never stopped on a campsite once. ;)

Enjoy your planning, bringing forth a wonderful trip and memories.

I don't drink Guinness here on the UK mainland much, but in Ireland, (North or South), it is a wondeful pint, and seems different to the UK Guinness. :drink:

We've had some wonderful Chowder too out there, with warm home made dark brown bread, with butter. 😋

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
The whole of the South West is lovely and my favourite part of Ireland. From Cork around the coast to Kenmare, then around the ‘Ring of Kerry’ and via Killarney up to Tralee would definitely be on my itinerary. The tiny pubs in the middle of nowhere that can look deserted and dull from the outside can be some of the most hospitable places you are ever likely to visit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back