Southern Africa in a Motorhome

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Forestboy, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Two years ago we had joined an expedition to travel down to Cape Town on our motorbike with 6 others. However due to civil unrest, pirates and god knows what else the British Consulate withdrew support from 4 countries which basically scuppered our plans and the trip was cancelled.

We still have a hankering to go to Africa and have considered a safari holiday but its all a bit rushed.
    Now thinking about taking a couple of months and touring maybe South Africa, Botswana, Namibia & Zimbabwe in a motorhome, cant be that difficult as the CCC run trips there every year.

Does anyone have any experience of this, either solo or on an organised trip?
    If so I'd like to hear from them either on the forum or by pm.

Thanks(y)

2. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

We went to South Africa last year and did a bit of travelling around with my sister in law and her husband and their "Bakkie". We are going again in Feb next year and will hire a bakkie with rooftop tent. We intend going with them again to Botswana to the Kalahari National Park, our brother in law is a seasoned overlander. We found the country beautiful, more info and pics on my blog, use the link after my signature, look at Avocado Adventure Parts 1 and 2. May be of some help! Can't wait to go again on our next trip. Also there is a Stratford show soon on overland expeditions could give you more info.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A couple of months isnt long Rory, its a big country.
    I took a 7 week holiday to the cape a few years ago.

Took three weeks (in a 1975 VW beach buggy) to travel the garden route along the indian ocean, and surrounding area, from capetown as far as Port Elizabeth....and its only around 500 miles.
    So much to see and do.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

What's up with Skegness, No bottle you lot:D

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Skegness:eek:
    I remember when you has a sense of adventure Ali Baba :whistle: