Some advice on this Pilote G830LC please (1 Viewer)

Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Hi all
New to the forum. We've been motorhoming using rental vans for a while now to get a feel for the best layout for us and have narrowed it down to a island bed A class with a good payload. We have found a Pilote Explorateur Galaxy G830LC that seems to tick all the boxes.

We are planning to check it out tomorrow but I don't have much experience of Pilote - does this look like a good deal? To be honest, it's a bit older (2008) and more miles (32k) than we we're used to - is there anything to be concerned about and anything specific I should be checking?

thanks in advance for any help
Andy

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I don't know anything about the particular make and model of MH but the mileage at 4,000 (8ys at 32,000) per year is minimal so I wouldn't worry about that. You can also check the service history in the vehicle log book.

It looks well fitted out and very tidy. I should think that it is well worth a look and as for the price you can always see what the dealer will do regards that.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on. (y)

KH

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have a Pilote G690 purchased from Hayes Leisure a couple of years ago. Ourse is typical of the Marque - few minor issues but really good sales back up from Hayes (Chris Hayes in after sales / service).

Would I buy another Pilote? 100% yes
Would I buy from Hayes? 100% yes

Start a private conversation if you need any other information. Cheers

P.S. Well worth becoming a full member on here - you will easily get your £15 back on discounts and also the wealth of good advice on here in all the archives. (y)(y)

Edit - oddly enough, I was looking at that exact van online 2 days ago whilst bored in hospital and thought 2 things - "wow that is a lot of van" and "pity we can't make the turn into our driveway"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have a Pilote G690 purchased from Hayes Leisure a couple of years ago. Ourse is typical of the Marque - few minor issues but really good sales back up from Hayes (Chris Hayes in after sales / service).

Would I buy another Pilote? 100% yes
Would I buy from Hayes? 100% yes

Start a private conversation if you need any other information. Cheers

P.S. Well worth becoming a full member on here - you will easily get your £15 back on discounts and also the wealth of good advice on here in all the archives. (y)(y)

Edit - oddly enough, I was looking at that exact van online 2 days ago whilst bored in hospital and thought 2 things - "wow that is a lot of van" and "pity we can't make the turn into our driveway"
Do you not think its a lot of money for an 8 year old van Dave?
What's the price new ?

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do you not think its a lot of money for an 8 year old van Dave?
What's the price new ?
In today's money based on the fact that it is the premium range - probably nudging toward 85-90K. Always room for a good deal at Hayes as well it would probably sell around £45K with a good haggle

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In today's money based on the fact that it is the premium range - probably nudging toward 85-90K. Always room for a good deal at Hayes as well
What would you suggest the OP's final (opening) offer should be?

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
its a nice looking van, Id looked at it (on the net) myself befor stuff happend, sort of van id like to own when I get better,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
In today's money based on the fact that it is the premium range - probably nudging toward 85-90K. Always room for a good deal at Hayes as well it would probably sell around £45K with a good haggle

I must admit I was also struggling with that much money for an 8 year old van and was hoping there may be some movement so this gives me a bit of confidence thanks

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hayes are brilliant dealers - they look after you and the vans. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd known the van all it's life! LOL Bill Hayes is absolutely the salt of the earth and 100% trustworthy.

Guess where we had our Pilote from? LOL Before we did the deal, I checked him out by PM with Peter from Johns Cross, as a longstanding truthful member of this forum and also a Pilote dealer LOL - his opinion of Bill is exactly the same as what you've heard already on here!

And much like John's Cross - all the employees follow exactly the same ethos.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
And (my) Pete's just added - 'and his mum's nice too!' - she is a lovely lady and both she and her daughter (never actually worked out whether she's Bill's sister?) are much more helpful - and use! - than 99% of other dealer 'receptionists'.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hayes are brilliant dealers - they look after you and the vans. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd known the van all it's life! LOL Bill Hayes is absolutely the salt of the earth and 100% trustworthy.

Guess where we had our Pilote from? LOL Before we did the deal, I checked him out by PM with Peter from Johns Cross, as a longstanding truthful member of this forum and also a Pilote dealer LOL - his opinion of Bill is exactly the same as what you've heard already on here!

And (my) Pete's just added - 'and his mum's nice too!' - she is a lovely lady and both she and her daughter (never actually worked out whether she's Bill's sister?) are much more helpful - and use! - than 99% of other dealer 'receptionists'.

Well yes - not a jobsworth in sight. I also checked them out before buying - same answer. It is a lot of money, but it is a lot of van. Satellite and extra solar and you won't need anything else

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...

Thanks. This is one of the things that I am impressed with; after the obligatory search for reviews on line I've found nothing (absolutely nothing!) but praise for Hayes and the family. After speaking to them this morning to arrange the test drive they certainly sound like people I'd like to do business with.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I must admit I was also struggling with that much money for an 8 year old van and was hoping there may be some movement so this gives me a bit of confidence thanks
20% discount off a new MH is not unheard of - hopefully the same applies to used
Best of luck !

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm biassed because of the Frankia-Pilote family relationship and just how similar this layout is to my own Frankia Platin Plus. I would prefer it on a Mercedes to a Fiat but then I had no problems with my last (Fiat) van so have no real reasons to say that. Certainly the wider track of the Fiat will give less roll than the Merc, and less need for air assist suspension.

I think the auto is probably the clutchless man version of auto as opposed to the real epicyclic gear train associated with torque converters.

I honestly believe that price to be more than a little optimistic, but then how many vans of this calibre are out there for sale with such an attractive interior.

You are a cash buyer, that will be attractive to the seller, he has one of a very few of these vans for sale and a great reputation this must be attractive to the buyer.

You are made for one another, go find some common ground and deal...... Griff

edit: and join up proper for £15, you'll get it back ten-fold with friendly advice!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
I'm biassed because of the Frankia-Pilote family relationship and just how similar this layout is to my own Frankia Platin Plus. I would prefer it on a Mercedes to a Fiat but then I had no problems with my last (Fiat) van so have no real reasons to say that. Certainly the wider track of the Fiat will give less roll than the Merc, and less need for air assist suspension.

I think the auto is probably the clutchless man version of auto as opposed to the real epicyclic gear train associated with torque converters.

I'm assuming this is the Comfortmatic auto which I'm used to and quite happy with.

I honestly believe that price to be more than a little optimistic, but then how many vans of this calibre are out there for sale with such an attractive interior.

You are a cash buyer, that will be attractive to the seller, he has one of a very few of these vans for sale and a great reputation this must be attractive to the buyer.

You are made for one another, go find some common ground and deal...... Griff

Let's hope so

edit: and join up proper for £15, you'll get it back ten-fold with friendly advice!

done :)

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Certainly a lovely vehicle but as others have mentioned, it strikes me as a lot of money...
I have no idea if it's 'market price' or even close, but do know that 50k to spend on a used van gives lots of options !

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You won't regret joining and haggle hard with Bill. When the cash discount runs dry, go for the essential extras (y)(y)

Let us know how you get on; we would love that van despite the age as the only box it doesn't tick is the length precluding the reverse turn into the driveway, and we don't all own a castle and country estate like @Popeye does (rumour has it he personally purchased the new forest from King Henry VIII no less)

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Oooh, I dunno - if you can enter and park a car at Hayes premises and then extract a motorhome (even after they've parked in on their 'driveway' ready for you) and return it back there - I shouldn't think you'd have much trouble ever parking it again anywhere!

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oooh, I dunno - if you can enter and park a car at Hayes premises and then extract a motorhome (even after they've parked in on their 'driveway' ready for you) and return it back there - I shouldn't think you'd have much trouble ever parking it again anywhere!
That much is true! When I test drove ours, I got Steve to pull it out of where it was parked in front of the showroom building!

What I would say on the test drive is to check if you can reverse it up the slope to the workshops - that should sort any judder issues!

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
(rumour has it he personally purchased the new forest from King Henry VIII no less)

Any more of your cheek and I'll strike you.....................................

...............off my get well soon list, of course it's common knowledge that the Dux will never get well, it's that sort of medical problem that has had men of letters stumped for Millennia.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Any more of your cheek and I'll strike you.....................................

...............off my get well soon list, of course it's common knowledge that the Dux will never get well, it's that sort of medical problem that has had men of letters stumped for Millennia.
Noted that you didn't deny it, though.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Certainly a lovely vehicle but as others have mentioned, it strikes me as a lot of money...
I have no idea if it's 'market price' or even close, but do know that 50k to spend on a used van gives lots of options !

Interestingly, as there are so few around to compare with in the UK I have been looking on Mobile.de among other sale sites and in Europe the same model (albeit with slightly different spec such as manual gearbox etc) are up for comparable amounts (an 08 with 130kkm for Euro 56k, an 09 with 4.5kkm for Euro 76k) so they certainly seem to hold their value very well.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interestingly, as there are so few around to compare with in the UK I have been looking on Mobile.de among other sale sites and in Europe the same model (albeit with slightly different spec such as manual gearbox etc) are up for comparable amounts (an 08 with 130kkm for Euro 56k, an 09 with 4.5kkm for Euro 76k) so they certainly seem to hold their value very well.
Big tags are not as popular as they used to be (sales growth still there but lagging behind other sectors) so worth putting in an offer and seeing how much they can move. Bonne chance!!

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Thanks.
Does that mean that it's been available for a while?

I think it was about 6-8 weeks ago but having spent a lot of that time in and out of hoospital Im not too sure on the time zone.

but nice van, and any Dealer with that surname is probibly trustworthy ( i wonder if were related)

Upvote 0

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I Have the smaller 730 with the 3 ltr engine same as the 830. I Can see from the photos that the front suspension has not been upgraded to cope with the extra weight. I had to have stronger suspension fitted as it was constantly riding on the bump stops.
The uprated suspension was an option with the 3 ltr engine when new.
It was a common problem. @Techno had the same with his rapid.
Check for signs of water ingress around the windows. 2 of mine have had to be resealed. Also check the side walls at floor level under the garage doors

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back