Solo at tolls

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ericonabike, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

I'll be taking the 'van the length of France next week, which will be the first time I've driven an RHD vehicle solo over there. Am not looking forward to sorting the toll booths, but don't want to pay for a radio chip thing that I'll likely not use again. Any tips for getting through? Shuffle across? Get out and walk round? How long do you get? etc

2. att

att Read Only Funster

You get as long as it takes:thumb:
    No need to rush, the drivers on the continent are no where near as rude as Brits.....And usually helpful if you have a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

dont use toll roads .no need to use them .
    but if by accident take your time struggle with chabge etc .its all part of the fun . walk round ask price walk back look in van for money . ask again . struggle to count it out . struggle to count the change . you can have a big lineup behind you if you do it right . ha ha .

• Like Like x 1
  4. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Fishing net for the money & change. One of those litter picking 'grabbers' to get the ticket or hand it back

• Like Like x 1
  5. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Swap for LHD. No tolls in the UK...

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Same as I do at the Severn Bridge in my left hooker. Handbrake on, get up and open the passenger window. It only takes a few seconds more. No worries.. enjoy your trip:thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i hope i never get stuck behind you Alan, you cantankerous old bugger. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

I do it often though work
    Plenty change low denomination notes 5 and 10 euros
    Just walk round money in ticket out or ticket in then pay and away you go
    Any problem press button they can usually speak enough English to get by
    These guys do it all day long and are well used to Brits abroad
    Some times you get a jerk behind getting rattled tough just smile

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Humber bridge, Severn bridge, Dartford crossing, Tyne tunnel, M6....to name just 5 tolls. :Doh::Laughing:

10. robi49

robi49 Read Only Funster

Tolls

Hi the M6 does not have a toll part when did that happen, I have a LHD for sale drove down south and return solo shuffled across to passenger side you should have seen the looks I got further up the road its got uk plates on a ford chassis.:Laughing::Laughing:

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I just get out and walk round.

Usually hand signal to the car behind when walking back to my side.

That can either be a wave to say sorry or a finger if they are revving their engine or hooting.:thumb:

12. ukbill

ukbill Funster

like jim said handbrake on up from the seat and over to the passenger window but remember the tolls in france will cost as much if not more than a tank of diesel go non tolls and see the sights

13. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

ERIC...What Jim, UK Bill, chopper 602, VWAlan... have said is sound advice ...also get yourself a pick up stick (a good one that grips the ticket)...I use one (and I am left hand drive) to grab the ticket it is a lot easyer that uncoupling the seat belt (it is also ideal depending on your door window height ..it may be to low or too high) ....also on approaching the toll in France look at the signs above, many will have a union jack for right hand drive vehicles...also some of the booths are for both sides...
    If all fails make sure the point you stop allows you to get out of your hab door (some are tight lanes with metal work around you )...don't forget to lock the door with the keys while your are getting your ticket as this may take you several minutes.....if all of this bothers you do what most of us do do none toll roads....more to see ...and stop when you want... many times a shorter milage just may take a little longer...but that is ok you are on Holiday Eric:thumb:...enjoy your holiday.
    The small kiddies fishing net is ideal for you to pass the money to a opperator IF one is there but only put coins in (as your notes may blow away or make a lid for the net ) this allows the till person to put your change back in for you...all the pay booth person opperated ....just below the pay window there is a led type screen after the collector has entered your ticket ... the price will come up on the screen...(so keep plenty of coin type money)...also many are now credit card opperated ...put in your ticket ...it will tell which way in which way up......take your time.....then your credit card also which way in which way up..you can also see on a screen what the cost was also a button to press to get a receipt..IF you have a problem there should be a button press and speak somebody will answer yoiu

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  14. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

What about one of those gadgets that you stick on the windscreen that automatically opens the barrier.
    We used one this year towing the caravan and it was excellent.
    Admittedly you have to pay a deposit on the device and it will cost an extra euro for any month in which you use it but we found quicker and less troublesome.

15. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Thanks all. I'll need to use at least some tolls as I have to do the trip in two days - will save the meandering for the return trip,when I' 'll be joined by Mrs E. I'd assumed that all the booths were card only, so the fishing net idea is new to me! Have considered the chip thing, but usually we've two up, so not needed. I'll report back on how I get on!

16. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The answer is perfectly obvious....

Reverse through the tolls.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

This part I agree with:thumb:...the rest of the reply:Doh:

18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

RHD van at French toll booths? No Problem!

Handbrake turn on the approach, reverse through, pay, boot it flat out in reverse, J-turn, then on your way!

Don't forget to pull over at the next services to put everything back in the cupboards!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would suggest unbelting and doing the business out of the passenger side window. If we have to use tolls we always use a lane with a machine rather than an operator, and pay by card, it's much faster. The machines have slots at a high level, as well as the low ones for cars, which are ideal for motorhomes

20. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I thought this was a thread about tolls, not toilet cassette useage!!!:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1