Sold on my Blaupunkt Columbia 945 (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We had one fitted a couple of months ago by Vanbitz as well. Nice piece of (expensive!) kit but best to point out that DAB is not standard on it, you have to buy another £100 or so box of tricks to add on before you get this facility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had one fitted a couple of months ago by Vanbitz as well. Nice piece of (expensive!) kit but best to point out that DAB is not standard on it, you have to buy another £100 or so box of tricks to add on before you get this facility.

Hi Bob, the deal I got included the DAB kit and the Twin Lens Camera. This is a pic of the flyer in the shop.

Flyer.png

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The DAB is included in the Navigation/Multimedia/CAM44 twin lens camera.

If you buy the Columbia just as a "stand alone" product, you can select which "bolt ons" you require, and yes, the DAB module is available as an "add on"

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I know someone else like this:

My partner, after huffing and puffing, finding shoes, putting a coat on, sometimes gets out and guides me back. But, after 30 years she still hasn’t quite grasped the concept that if she can’t see my mirrors, I can’t see her frantic waving.

:LOL:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We use some old Blaupunkt Sat Navs (based on the same software as the original Mercedes Comands and many other systems).

They withdrew from the market for some time and I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We regularly watch couples argue and fight trying to hitch up trailers and A Frames. To avoid this I do it all myself. A blob of silver paint on the tow ball, and a bit of wood I reverse up to the "A" frame, stop when the ball disappears, jump out, remove my stick, the A Frame drops on to the ball and I plug in the electrics and test them from the car. No fuss no drama.

We had a customer came into the office a few years ago and asked if "Some one could go and help his "partner" in the car park"

It turned out that the bloke had knocked her over, and reversed partially over her, yet thought it was her fault as he can "never bloody see her" The lady was in some pain and quite shocked so Lyn drove her to A&E Asking if he wanted to go with his Wife

"Not my wife, and I am OK here" and walked off.

Lyn rang from the hospital, to say that the lady had a broken arm and bruising and would be release and wanted us to let her "partner" know whats what"

I found him sat in his van watching TV not a care in the World, and didn't seem to care that he had hurt his "partner" He was still convinced that it was her own fault, and that he given up trying to tell her where to stand so he could see her!

Trouble is, at this stage all the sympathy will be directed at the lady and most reading will think that the bloke is a real bastard, but they must have both been in their Eighties, bickered constantly but seemed to travel all around Europe with each other so it was impossible to take sides, as she also thought that it was her fault as "He is always telling me that he'll bump me over one day"

I wonder what happened to them, I'd hate to think of them stuck in a No through road somewhere in North Africa arguing still about how to turn the van around lol

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Fitted a Blaupunkt 945 in our Laika and it's been brilliant. Found the code to ROOT it so I could add Google Play Store which is missing. Have now added CoPilot Truck which I have also added to my IPad and Samsung Tab 3. You will be surprised what you can do with it. The Laika has a rear camera and it's own 7" monitor on the dash. The Blaupunkt now displays the route on the monitor when not used for the rear camera. I have SWC on mine and have had all sorts of agro getting it to work. I now have it sorted. One problem you may have if you haven't got the steering wheel controls is how to turn up the volume for the sat nav. There is no volume button for the media channel. I found an apk in the Google Play Store that you can use if you break your volume control. So I can now set the volume of the directions. POI files are also easy to add as are speed cameras. Have fun .. Great Choice .. Ps there are some updates on the Blaupunkt website. Might be worth checking you have the latest.

Blaupunkt Capetown 945 is the same as the Dometic .. I paid £490 for mine ( 2016 ) from a Company in Germany .. You can get them on Amazon for £795

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Fitted a Blaupunkt 945 in our Laika and it's been brilliant. Found the code to ROOT it so I could add Google Play Store which is missing. Have now added CoPilot Truck which I have also added to my IPad and Samsung Tab 3. You will be surprised what you can do with it. The Laika has a rear camera and it's own 7" monitor on the dash. The Blaupunkt now displays the route on the monitor when not used for the rear camera. I have SWC on mine and have had all sorts of agro getting it to work. I now have it sorted. One problem you may have if you haven't got the steering wheel controls is how to turn up the volume for the sat nav. There is no volume button for the media channel. I found an apk in the Google Play Store that you can use if you break your volume control. So I can now set the volume of the directions. POI files are also easy to add as are speed cameras. Have fun .. Great Choice .. Ps there are some updates on the Blaupunkt website. Might be worth checking you have the latest.

Installing co-pilot what a great idea. I've not done too many journeys yet and I'm more than very happy with the supplied Navigation, but I love Co Pilot so knowing I have that option is good (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Blaupunkt Capetown 945 is the same as the Dometic .. I paid £490 for mine ( 2016 ) from a Company in Germany .. You can get them on Amazon for £795
Is that DAB? with a CAM44 twin lens camera, fitted?

If not its not the same thing

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Its identical .. Even the software is the same .. All they do with the twin rear view is use the video inputs .. and YES I have a DAB Radio ..

I did fit it all myself though and used the single camera which was already fitted to the Laika.

Dometic are certainly offering a nice bit of kit but boy is it EXPENSIVE ..

Don't see how you could use the Sat / Nav and the rear long view camera at the same time. It's going to be one or the other and it's also in the wrong place to be any real use.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
When the rear view camera is on the sat nav continues on voice only.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Not a lot of good for junction views then .. The IGO Software shows pictures of junction and lane views .. It does not tell you exactly which lane you should be in. I have played with IGO for a few years. It was installed in an Alpine 920 Sat Nav I had before this one. The other problem I have with IGO is you cannot tell DORIS not to use the local roads or not to use the Peage unless it is necessary. DORIS loves taking you down narrow country lanes to save a couple of yards on a journey distance.

I have just been planning a route through France from Calais to the Spanish Border near San Sebastian. I tried CoPilot which has worked out a route using a couple of stretches of Peage ( Use Toll Roads if Unavoidable ) without to much fuss. IGO on the other hand with the don't use Peage flag set says that a route is not available.

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone know how the Blaupunkt Columbia 945 compares to a similar Pioneer AVIC F80/88DAB UNIT? Does either have any significant advantages over the other for use in a MH?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Depends if it's a TRUE Android System or just something that uses WinCE with a Looks like Android front end. Difference is vast as you certainly would not be able to put Android Apk files on it and run any other programs. You would also need to check if you can add your own POI files and Speed Camera Database without having to use Third Party Software. Most of these manufacturers have got things set so you cannot get to the file system so you have to use their software at a cost. I managed to find a program that let me into my Alpine Sat Nav. What it did was crash the system by trying to load a file from the SD Card. Once it had crashed you were back to good old WinCE so you could get to the files you wanted to change.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not a lot of good for junction views then .. The IGO Software shows pictures of junction and lane views .. It does not tell you exactly which lane you should be in. I have played with IGO for a few years. It was installed in an Alpine 920 Sat Nav I had before this one. The other problem I have with IGO is you cannot tell DORIS not to use the local roads or not to use the Peage unless it is necessary. DORIS loves taking you down narrow country lanes to save a couple of yards on a journey distance.

I have just been planning a route through France from Calais to the Spanish Border near San Sebastian. I tried CoPilot which has worked out a route using a couple of stretches of Peage ( Use Toll Roads if Unavoidable ) without to much fuss. IGO on the other hand with the don't use Peage flag set says that a route is not available.
Simply select XL Motorhome from the vehicle selection, and use input the weight, height, width and length and it won't take you down county lanes

Also you can choose to be offered things like tolls and if trailers are connected for example every time to input a destination

It is expensive, no one is denying it, but at £1500 installed, with a DAB antenna installed, a separate TMC antenna installed, the Weaco twin lens camera installed with the AMP 100, switch box allowing you to toggle between back view and down road view it takes the best part of a day to install, properly.

As for selecting between rear view and navi, I really don't have an issue pressing a button on the unit to switch between the two, to be honest, I only tend to switch to rear view with I'm driving in built up areas

The navigation continues with voice commands over all screens as well

The Pioneer we removed to install the Blaupunkt had a split screen for rear view and navi, but had a stupid warning message across it, and, I couldn't select rear screen only except in reverse.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Its identical .. Even the software is the same .. All they do with the twin rear view is use the video inputs .. and YES I have a DAB Radio ..

I don't think, but I stand willing to be corrected, the the Cape Town has the same software?

The home screen on the Columbia has a motorhome icon, which lists all of the Promobil camp sites, and the motorhome software allows you to select small medium large or extra large motorhome from the vehicle list and as I mentioned earlier, allows you to input lots of physical data about your motorhome.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I don't think, but I stand willing to be corrected, the the Cape Town has the same software?

The home screen on the Columbia has a motorhome icon, which lists all of the Promobil camp sites, and the motorhome software allows you to select small medium large or extra large motorhome from the vehicle list and as I mentioned earlier, allows you to input lots of physical data about your motorhome.
Hi Eddie.

I can't find that motorhome icon on mine? Would it be possible perhaps to take a photo of the relevant screen to show where it is? It's perfectly possible I could have missed it as there are so many features there for an old man like me to take in!
Ta,
Bob

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

Hmmmm .. Looks like you can get a FREE APP for the Promobile camp sites, Once you have it installed on the unit you just put the APP on the front screen.. The Columbia is just Dometic and Blaupunkt getting together. The 945 in whatever guise is a great unit. It is even better with CoPilot Truck installed. The IGO Software has it's limitations one of which is the cost of new maps at £100 a throw. Nicest feature of the Blaupunkt is that you can use any Android based software on it. That is if you can get it to run in the first place. Google Play is missing but can be added easily enough. The base software is the same it's just the little tiny SD card thats got a couple of extras.

As usual anything with Dometic on it is going to be far more expensive ..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hmmmm .. Looks like you can get a FREE APP for the Promobile camp sites, Once you have it installed on the unit you just put the APP on the front screen.. The Columbia is just Dometic and Blaupunkt getting together. The 945 in whatever guise is a great unit. It is even better with CoPilot Truck installed. The IGO Software has it's limitations one of which is the cost of new maps at £100 a throw. Nicest feature of the Blaupunkt is that you can use any Android based software on it. That is if you can get it to run in the first place. Google Play is missing but can be added easily enough. The base software is the same it's just the little tiny SD card thats got a couple of extras.

As usual anything with Dometic on it is going to be far more expensive ..
The Promobil is on the Navigation home screen not the main app

How do you input height, length, weight, width etc?

I agree it's just software, but making programmes for small niche markets such as the motorhome market, in comparison to say, the car market, is expensive. I'd rather have the motorhome software on my navigation system, in my motorhome.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
All they have done is use TRUCK software. Hardly niche market when you see how many trucks use it. Days work for a decent programmer at IGO to add a couple of preset buttons to one of their screen layout theme files ..

POI file then for Promobil .. Hardly rocket science .. You can add your own if you know your way round the software file system and how to import KML files and Speed Camera txt files rather than keep paying out for IGO products.

TRUCK software lets you put in exact size of vehicle rather than predefined.

As I said earlier ,, Great piece of kit .. but not at Dometic Prices :eek:

The CoPilot TRUCK software iwhich I have added is in my opinion far better and lets you input POI files in TomTom Ov2 format with a small bitmap picture file also. It also has FREE map updates and fixed speed camera database.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
All they have done is use TRUCK software. Hardly niche market when you see how many trucks use it. Days work for a decent programmer at IGO to add a couple of preset buttons to one of their screen layout theme files ..

POI file then for Promobil .. Hardly rocket science .. You can add your own if you know your way round the software file system and how to import KML files and Speed Camera txt files rather than keep paying out for IGO products.

TRUCK software lets you put in exact size of vehicle rather than predefined.

As I said earlier ,, Great piece of kit .. but not at Dometic Prices :eek:

The CoPilot TRUCK software iwhich I have added is in my opinion far better and lets you input POI files in TomTom Ov2 format with a small bitmap picture file also. It also has FREE map updates and fixed speed camera database.
That's great if you can.

So we established that the two systems aren't identical

I'll get you a price for the Motorhome software if you like so you can upgrade your car Software?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Whats the point .. The CoPilot TRUCK software is much better .. If I wanted the IGO TRUCK software I can just download it from the Internet (y)

Other things you could try ..

Connect the Blaupunkt to an external monitor. I have a rear view display fitted by Laika so the Blaupunkt displays the Sat Nav information when not in reverse on the monitor. Nice having two displays to see where you are going.

If you ever come across one with SWC ( Steering Wheel Controls ) fitted I do hope that Dometic have solved the problem with the Fiat Canbus ? .. I did eventually find a unit that worked but kept getting the dreaded flashing mileage display indicating that the CanBus software had found something it didn't like. Managed to sort it eventually :cool:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@QFour Non techy types like me haven't understood much of what you have said :blush: Which is probably why I'm much happier buying the kit and having it professionally installed. But if ever i'm feeling brave If I ever want to find the root code, play with the canbus (whatever that is) break my volume control or add to the 44 countries mapping thats already included. I'll be shouting for R2D2. :) Meanwhile I'm more than happy with the setup as is.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Eddie.

I can't find that motorhome icon on mine? Would it be possible perhaps to take a photo of the relevant screen to show where it is? It's perfectly possible I could have missed it as there are so many features there for an old man like me to take in!
Ta,
Bob

We'll call you Monday

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Thanks Eddie. I cant find any reference to it on line or in the instruction book so am a bit flummoxed!

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
I agree with you Jim. Really pleased with my system, again fitted by Vanbitz. With regard to the volume control of the sat nav, I found if you just turn the main knob that normally controls the radio volume whilst the sat nav is 'speaking', this controls the sat nav volume.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back