Solarpod anyone got one

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lorger, Jun 30, 2012.

1. lorger

lorger Funster

Firstly i will start with saying i know nothing about electricity so that is why i am asking here.

Seen this in the cc mag and wondered if anyone had one or what people think of it would it be worth the money as i think its just over £1000 so a bit more expensive than a Honda and about double the price of a Kipor :Rofl1:

http://www.thousandsuns.com/solarpod-range/solarpod-pro

Thanks
    Gerry

• Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

looks like a self contained power pack/inverter to me.

it uses lithium-ion battery technology at 29v so a special charger will be needed to recharge via mains or solar power.

at just 30ah capacity it aint going to run a 1kw inverter for long at full power.

for £1000 i'd rather buy a couple of new 110ah batteries, a decent solar panel and a 1000w inverter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lorger

lorger Funster

Thanks pappajohn i i said not got a clue did think it was a bit over priced for what i thought it would do:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I cannot see the point for a motorhomer. If you do not have mains hook-up (and you wouldn't need it if you had) the solarpod has to be charged either from a solar panel or a generator. I think it is designed for ad-hoc portable power needs, not as a device for a motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

What a waste of cash...
    30ah battery and in reality only 1/2 of that to avoid battery damage..
    It's just a battery and an inverter in a shiny box....!!!!!!!!!!:Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

i agree, and i would seriously doubt it could handle the likes of a fridge/freezer or kettle, toaster,fan heater, these things might after power up consumne within the 1000w but power up could use half if not more e.g. 1500w startup

• Like Like x 1
  7. lorger

lorger Funster

Thanks for the replies i kind of thought it was an overpriced useless piece of kit:Rofl1::Rofl1: just want expert advice on it.

I wasnt going to buy one just interested to know if it was any good.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It is just a battery with a kW inverter in a posh box !

Max product value £490 inc the LiFe battery

Max realistic value to motorhomers ?.. well as you already have leisure battery(s) about £130 for an inverter

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Did anyone else see the 'alternative' to a standard generator at the Stratford Show? It was basically a small 'engine' with alternator which produced 12v power - I think it was around £599 or so.

I can't remember the name of it/who was marketing it, but it looked very interesting and much more efficient than a standard generator as you dont' have to convert the power from 240v to 12v as you would with a normal generator, if you were only wanting to charge up your batteries and/or use stuff on 12v.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

but why spend £500/£600 for something which only produces 12v.

the same money will buy a proper generator to run 230v and 12v stuff.

for that money I would want a genuine Honda engine as well...not a Chinese copy.

overpriced by at least £300 in my opinion for parts and build costs.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Yes he's been selling them for a while, its essentially an alternator with a small Hyundai engine to spin it. Chris Green (Funster) built his own with a Honda engine. It brings batteries to a state of 90% charged VERY quickly. While everyone agrees they charge quickly, Opinions are split as to whether regular use might damage a leisure battery. Brilliant in an emergency. Last year at Malvern a members RV battery bank was completely dead; using Chris's charger in just 45 minutes they were charged enough to last the rest of the weekend.