Solar Regulators...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Destination Unknown, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

Can anyone confirm if this Solar regulator works the way it should, the instructions are pigeon chinese/english.

Have put two pics of displays.

The left 24 amp works fine and displays battery/charge/load. No problems there.

The middle one 20 amp..is the unsure one, it shows two greens, charge/battery (so think its charging but) you press the power button which shows a number display which we have set at 6, which we think is general use. the red displat only stays on for a few seconds then goes out..(unsure if the unit still on) At night the charge green light goes out which it should as no sun and the load light comes on.

The right one 10 amp shows two greens charge/battery and when you push the power button the red led stays on, which is switched on and working fine.

The main question is , is the middle one working right and still charging when red display goes out.

Attached Files:

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am a little confused as to why you would need 2 regulators. Unless am mistaken, are they coupled together ?.

3. Destination Unknown

Destination Unknown Funster

We have 4 regulators which run different solar panels to different power batterys. The new regulator which is the centre one is working in a different way to the others.

Just thought someone who has this type of regulator knows what the display is when working correctly.

4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Never mind two I count three of the buggers. Unless they are all connected to separate and unconnected batteries I would suggest the problem lies with there being multiple regulators. Assuming the batteries are connected together in paralel and all three regs are connected to the same bank then when close to fully charged the regs will conflict with each other. The cutoff voltage of one reg, even of identical design and manufacture is unlikey to be precisely the same as another one so when one reg sees the batteries as full it switches off (into float condition) but another reg hasn't quite reached the same conclusion so continues to offer up charge to the batteries.

It would be far better to replace all three regs with one unit that can handle the maximum current possible from the panel array.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I didn't want to say :Laughing:

6. Snowbird

A very odd setup indeed. Would it not be better to have one regulator doing the job. I don't trust Chinese regulators anyway. German or American are the only ones I would use personally. You have an American RV Brian, if you put Chinese parts on it, you will finish up with a Chinese camper.

7. Techno

German as in Steca???? They're Chinese too :Laughing: as is most stuff now with expensive badges like Sterling for example

8. Snowbird

Thats as maybe, but with German technology, design and quality control. Having seen inside one of the Chinese designed ones I think I will stick to what I know to be reliable. Not much point in spending hundreds of pounds on solar panels and relying on a 30 quid Chinese regulator to control them.

9. Techno

Seeing inside of ONE is not typical
    Steca are made by fangpusun solar China but twice the price with Steca name on
    Inside identical.

10. Techno

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

regardless of how the controllers are wired the red button will serve no purpose in your case.

The button is to enable a low current appliance (around 2 amps) to work from the controller at night, basically backfeeding from the batteries.......could be something like a porch light or background night light etc. But as you have nothing connected to the terminals, the pair on the right hand side, it will do nothing.
    As soon as the controller see's voltage from the solar panel at daybreak it switches off the supply

12. Techno

Mine looks like this, have you looked in yours :Laughing:
    [​IMG]

13. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I have the same regulator and it has worked fine for the last two years. Look at the graphic on the front, it clearly displays the different modes and light combinations. As for the red light and switch Pappjohn is right. I actually run my alarm from this source on the premise that I have two leisure batteries, charged by my solar panel and I think far better than using the main vehicle battery.