Solar Regulator Problem

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mags52, May 30, 2015.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

We have a Votronic solar regulator - a simple looking kind of thing that has two lights, one for charging and a second one for fully charged. Today no lights are showing at all and it is sunny outside. I've checked the fuse. Is there anything else simple I can check? I'm wondering whether we're getting any charge at all or whether the regulator itself is duff. We're on a site by Loch Ness so can't take it back to the dealer who installed it for a few days. I'm worried that there is nothing to stop the charge once the batteries are fully charged. If this is the case will the batteries be badly affected?
    I've no idea how these things work (you can probably tell) so any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mags

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Mags

First question from me would be, do you have a voltage readout for your habitation batteries and what does it say.

Martin

3. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

No we don't have a voltage readout - just high medium and low. We're on electric hook up so it will be trickle charging anyway.

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the solar regulator has three pairs of terminals. Using a multimeter connected across the first two and then the second two (reading from the left) What readings do you get with the multimeter on the volts range.

5. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

On site and don't have a multimeter - oh dear.

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

should be standard equipment, hee hee. Ask around and see if you can borrow one. with no lights showing I would think the controller is no longer connected to the battery, a wire pulled loose maybe.

7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Funster

When we had a similar thing happen it was caused by the wire for the inline fuse slightly pulling out of the fuse holder. It caused a bit of head scratching until I checked the fuse for the second time and the wire came away in my hand.

8. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

It turns out that our solar panel is faulty. Took the van into the dealers this afternoon and they checked it out - getting us a new one under warranty. Thanks for all the helpful advice folks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

I gave you a like not because your solar panel is faulty but because you let us know the outcome.:)

• Like Like x 1