Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We have a Votronic solar regulator - a simple looking kind of thing that has two lights, one for charging and a second one for fully charged. Today no lights are showing at all and it is sunny outside. I've checked the fuse. Is there anything else simple I can check? I'm wondering whether we're getting any charge at all or whether the regulator itself is duff. We're on a site by Loch Ness so can't take it back to the dealer who installed it for a few days. I'm worried that there is nothing to stop the charge once the batteries are fully charged. If this is the case will the batteries be badly affected?
I've no idea how these things work (you can probably tell) so any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mags

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mags

First question from me would be, do you have a voltage readout for your habitation batteries and what does it say.

Martin

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
No we don't have a voltage readout - just high medium and low. We're on electric hook up so it will be trickle charging anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the solar regulator has three pairs of terminals. Using a multimeter connected across the first two and then the second two (reading from the left) What readings do you get with the multimeter on the volts range.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
should be standard equipment, hee hee. Ask around and see if you can borrow one. with no lights showing I would think the controller is no longer connected to the battery, a wire pulled loose maybe.

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
When we had a similar thing happen it was caused by the wire for the inline fuse slightly pulling out of the fuse holder. It caused a bit of head scratching until I checked the fuse for the second time and the wire came away in my hand.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
It turns out that our solar panel is faulty. Took the van into the dealers this afternoon and they checked it out - getting us a new one under warranty. Thanks for all the helpful advice folks.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I gave you a like not because your solar panel is faulty but because you let us know the outcome.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back