Dec 8, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello

Can anyone help in laymans terms (we are not very technical!)? We are thinking of going solar and probably need something that will charge our leisure batteries as well as running few low wattage appliances i.e. Slow cooker low wattage halogen etc. Is this realistic and what size of panel and type of inverter would be needed? Does anyone know of a company in France or Spain that could fit it?

Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jackie

Slow cooker OK on a sunny day but not sure about halogen hob, whatever watts the 240v equipment says divide this by 12 and that tells you the amps it will take from your batteries, for example 1200watts would take 100amps from your batteries OK for a couple of minutes but not too long.

Your solar has to go into the batteries and then run your appliances via a inverter, so the batteries just store the power.

How big is your battery bank?

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hello

Can anyone help in laymans terms (we are not very technical!)? We are thinking of going solar and probably need something that will charge our leisure batteries as well as running few low wattage appliances i.e. Slow cooker low wattage halogen etc. Is this realistic and what size of panel and type of inverter would be needed? Does anyone know of a company in France or Spain that could fit it?

Thanks
If you are planning to make a bit of use of an inverter to run stuff like slow cooker etc you would need to look at your battery bank capacity as well as the means of keeping it charged.
Relatively high discharge rates from a small battery capacity will shorten the life expectancy of your batteries.. larger battery bank will cope better with the higher discharge rates..
Couldn't advise on what capacity you would need but you would be wanting to keep the current draw from each battery within its rated discharge rate for prolonged use.
Andy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have a slow cooker for occasional use while travelling, power consumption is quite low once its up to temperature. Some you can remove the inner bit and heat it on gas to start it off. No knowledge of halogen though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive heard of people using slow cookers and remoskas on travelling days(running them in the shower tray) or sunny days but probably not a good idea until you've got used to how it all works.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ive heard of people using slow cookers and remoskas on travelling days(running them in the shower tray) or sunny days but probably not a good idea until you've got used to how it all works.
Certainly the slow cooker Jon, we have used ours on solar, the Remoska only needs about an hour so hardly worth a drive it also only takes about 40 amps at 12v so a chunk of that could come straight from solar and the rest from batteries so possibly 30ah draw and a couple of hours to put it back.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't understand.

Never will.

A motorhome is not a house.

When in a motorhome I adapt my life to fit its capabilities.

Slow cookers? Electric kettles? 50" flat screens?

Why?

Solar panels on a motorhome charge the batteries. Thinking they will do anything else is not advised.

(Not counting Techno of course. He is special.)

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Jackie.Kearley

Jackie.Kearley

Free Member
Dec 8, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone for your advice. We're not sure it's worth it at the moment. We wild camped for a week at a time on our leisure batteries and lpg. Think we just need a spare toilet cassette for the time being. We don't have a built in cooker but have a gas hob so have cooked up wonders on this in the past so I'm sure we'll cope

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back