Solar Panels. Any cheaper than this?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by solitaire woman, May 12, 2008.

1. solitaire woman

solitaire woman Read Only Funster

Am wanting to put solar panels on my van as I plan to spend most of the time around europe off site. Only just started motorhoming so have loads of questions which I am sure will sound daft to all the seasoned motorhomers!
    Have seen advertised solar panels, 100watt for £440 for the panel and then the cost of extras to fit. The weight of the panel is 16k which is worrying me as I dont have a huge payload. Anybody know of any cheaper/lighter panels?
    Thanks.

2. Don Madge

Don Madge Funster

If you plan to spend time in Europe you might find the panels cheaper abroad.

I can recommend FF solar Aljezur Portugal they are on the west coast of Portugal.

I bought my solar panel from them ten years ago and it's still working very well.

I've not checked the prices lately so with the £/€ being what it is the panels might be cheaper in the UK.

Don

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Panels are a big investment, you really need to know the longest time you will be between hookups, if this is a week or less, you might save your self a lot of money by just having another battery or two fitted. If a little longer than a week you could buy a small 1kw generator to charge those batteries in an emergency. And of course a generator will charge your batteries whatever the weather, but you have to pay a price for this. there is of course the noise of a genny and you have to lug it and the fuel for it every where you go, this is too high a price for some.

If you are going to live in sunny climes, then once you have bought the panels, you can forget about them and they may well keep you relatively topped up all the time, Prices vary considerably and you really do need to shop around to find the best value.

4. kands

kands Read Only Funster

I seem to remember from another life that Olley had sourced some solar panels and they seemed to be relatively inexpensive, but beware because my memory isn't what it used to be :thumb::thumb:

Keith

5. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Don't worry about it Kieth, my memory's never been what it used to be. :Eeek:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

:thumb:Hi Solitair, Sounds about right. I fit a 130 Watt panel with fitting kit (which contains everything you need) came to around £550 or so. Along wit that I installed a second battery and have never been on hook up since, infact I have just thrown the genny out into the garage. That makes me green powered.
    Yes it is an expense but think of all the connection fees you are saving, soon adds up.

Best of luck what ever you decide.

Don

PS dont worry about "stupid" questions if yo read through the forum, thier are plenty.:Rofl1:

7. olley

olley Funster

Hi Keith I got them secondhand of grommet on facts at less than half price, 2x130watt plus controller all 1 year old. He was flogging off bits and pieces before he sold his van.

Olley

8. solitaire woman

solitaire woman Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the info everyone, will spend a bit more time searching in case there is a better
    bargain out there! What do you think about the weight though, is 16kg not a bit heavy?

9. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Mine is 12kg

10. adventure

adventure Read Only Funster

Hi Solitairwoman

I think Jim has made a very good description of the for and against of solar panels, I would suggest the same criteria to anyone considering solar panels, 12kg sounds about right for the weight of a 130w so an 85 w panel being smaller would be lighter, we do have sizes and weights on our web site for comparison.

nick