Solar panel position

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Moodybrook, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

While waiting for the arrival of my panel I was down the van today fitting the controller into its' home and I thought maybe I'd better check the roof as to where the panel would fit best. Away from objects that may cast a shadow etc.
    Well she is a big lump of a panel 1590 x 790. 14 Kg 165W jobbie from Bimble solar.

Well the only place she would go is on top of the Luton, the overcab double bed, cum golf club, fishing tackle, satelite dish locker .

The top of the Luton is kind of on a slope, for streamlining !! but flat, facing forward.

Question - Am I asking too much of Sikaflexing 4 corner and 2 side mounts to hold her down at 50 - 60 MPH. ?

Somebody mentioned somewhere - a wind baffle to direct wind
    over the top ? !! :Smile:

Nothing on the tellie tonight so I hope a few of the resident experts notice my plea :Smile:

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

It would not be my choice of positions, mine is fixed down with a bracket on each corner and they are fixed to the roof with self tappers.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Mine are held down by Sikaflex 2 of them ,no need to screw into roof more holes mean more possible ways for water to get In.They have been up there for thousands of miles at times up to and over 80 mph ,:Blush:( sometimes just want to get there)
    I however personally wouldn't want to fix to the over cab area as it's fibreglass and flexes a fair bit.Dont be worried about shadows from cowels or aerials as the loss will hardly be noticeable although some anoraks will tell you you'll loosing out on 0.000463 amps per solar cycle !:Rofl1:
    Stick it where you want and be happy with what you get!:thumb:

Vlad

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  4. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Vlad,
    have you a photo of your roof with the panels on old chap?

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

5. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Pm sent Trikeman.

6. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Thanks for your thoughts and your reassurance about Sikaflex. However it is the only place because of its' size. My luton is nice and flat although sloping forward and pretty rigid, been up there polishing before now, I know, sad git ! I PM'd "Techno" and he also reassured me about the sticky stuff just recommended closing off the leading edge to keep the wind out from under her(the panel), makes sense ! You get baffles from Seitz but not wide enough and nearly £100 :Eek!:
    Gonna get(Buy) some extra 530mm side mounts from ebay.

:thumb::thumb:

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Personally I would never use such a large unit. I could not install it single handed for one
    If it devolopes a fault or gets damaged it's a total loss for two
    If leaf litter or other debris falls on it the shading effect will decimate output for three
    Probably other negatives too :Eeek:
    With those plastic feet make sure you use course grit abrasive on them before cleaning ready for adhesive.

8. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Your taking good advice I've never met him but Techno seems to know his stuff!
    He recommended a relay which I fitted at a fraction of the price of others,fitted and still going strong:thumb:
    Thank god for experience and an open forum:BigGrin:

Vlad

• Like Like x 2
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Strangely I've had 8 pm's today :Eek!:

• Like Like x 1