Solar Panel Information and Help (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Unfortunately yes ... :(

It's an EBL99k
I would check that with Udo Lang. Unless the 'k' is significant, I'd be surprised if it mattered. I have an email from Udo saying that you can use what you like with an EBL99.

You do have to make your own arrangements to charge the starter battery if you bypass the EBL though - either use a dual output regulator or fit a Battery Master (or equivalent). If you have a battery monitor that shows anything more sophisticated than just voltage, that also may be a consideration.

I explained what I wanted to do & why to Udo, then asked these questions:
1. If I use a different solar charge controller, should this still be connected through the EBL 99, or should it be connected straight to the habitation & starter batteries?

2. If the solar charge controller is connected straight to the batteries, bypassing the EBL 99, is there a danger of the EBL 99 being confused when it senses the solar charge voltage at the battery?

3. What particular benefits are there from using the LRM1218 with an EBL 99 that would not be available if another controller was used?

With many thanks for any information you are able to provide,

His answer:
You can use any solar-charger to connect to the EBL 99 or the battery you like to charge.
No problem to add further chargers (solar-chargers) when they are connected at the EBL 99 at the solar-entry or the additional charger entry.
Then connections at the EBL are just for easy connection for a solar-charger. But it depends on the place where you build in the solar-panel and where you wire it.
If the direct connection to the battery will be more easy to wire, don´t worry.

When you have a panel in the camper which is showing Ampere, you will not see there the Amps going from any solar-charger directly to the battery, but this is not the issue.

I did use a different controller & it's all been working fine for the last 12 months. I use the van as a mobile office 12 months of the year in the UK, so I wanted 2 x 100W panels wired in series to squeeze every last drop of available power out of a weak winter sun & short winter days. For more normal use, I probably would have gone for the more straightforward option of using their own controller.

OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry for the delay as I've only just picked up my messages. There's a lot of useful information for me to get on with and some notes made.
Armytwowheels we are hoping to check in at the Camperstop at Totana on Monday 11th April all going well and maybe see you there if your still around. Mines an Americano! :LOL::LOL:

Daisie

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Selston , Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 vans in 40yrs
Hi, have downsized to an Autosleeper Symphony based on a Peugeot Boxer (1992 Reg) can get this one in a car park space. Problem now is I would like a solar panel but not sure whether I should have one fitted on roof like previous large motorhome or have a suitcase type to stand outside. Any suggestions or ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back