Solar Panel and CTEK D250S Dual Installation completed.

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Revolvor, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

At last I have finished the installation of a 100W Solar Panel on my MH. I used the tried and tested method of Aluminium Angle riveted to the panels and then bonded to the roof using Sika 512.

All that is left to do is to fit some trunking between the panels and the gland through the roof.

Instead of a more common MPPT Solar Controller, I have fitted a CTEK D250S Dual. This acts as a MPPT controller, and 5-stage B2B charger, and also charges the Vehicle battery from solar, once the 2 x 110Ah habitation batteries are fully charged. I have fused the output from the CTEK, and fitted an isolator for the input from the Solar Panels.

The CTEK unit can handle 340W Solar, and charges @ 20 Amps from the Alternator. Although this is not as much as a Sterling B2B, it should meet my needs, at a much lower cost. I have already noticed that following a journey, the Habitation batteries are charged better than they used to be.

By using the combined unit, I know there will be no conflict between B2B and Solar Charging.

Solar 3.jpg Solar 2.jpg Solar 1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. danielf

danielf Funster

I have a ctek dual I fitted a few weeks ago

Brilliant kit. Not as good possibly separates but my batteries are well charged on just 100watt solar. Important as I have compressor fridge now

Daniel

• Like Like x 1
  3. ericroy

ericroy Funster

We have a CTEK250S Dual with 240w solar and 225Ah leisure batteries fitted. Even in December we get enough current to keep both leisure and starter batteries topped up. We installed a couple of years ago and so far it has been faultless.

We even feed power into the CTEK from an 18v PSU on hookup (in place of the solar) to provide any extra top up needed for heavy 12v use overnight - this enables us to make use of the intelligent charging of the CTEK without recourse to another full spec mains charger. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

They seem to have a good reputation.

The first D250S unit I fitted was actually faulty, but I contacted Amazon, where I had bought it, and they sent me a (working) replacement within 24 hours!

So far I am very pleased with it.

John

5. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Another option is to connect the 18v power supply to the alternator input via a relay. If on hook up the batteries get charged through the Ctek alternator input, if not on hook then the batteries get charged via the solar input.

6. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

I still have the original Sargent PSU fitted for when I am on hookup - although it is not as "intelligent" as the D250S Dual. I have fitted a relay in the line from the Sargent, that goes open-circuit when the engine is running, to make full use of the CTEK B2B facility.

The Sargent PSU defaults to charge the Habitation Batteries, but can be manually overridden to charge the Vehicle battery (but not both at the same time) However, I have discovered that when I now set the Sargent to charge the Vehicle battery, the CTEK B2B function simultaneously charges the Habitation Batteries.

(I would only do this if the Habitation batteries were nearly fully charged, so as not to put too much load on the Sargent PSU.)

7. ericroy

ericroy Funster

Yes quite correct, it is possible - but it would not achieve what I want. I wish to have the option of keeping BOTH leisure and starter batteries topped up by the intelligent charging of the CTEK from either solar or mains.

8. bigguspeckus

bigguspeckus Funster

Hi Daniel, I know your post is months old but if U shld see this I'd really like to know what a :ctek dual: is? Any help wld be much appreciated. Regards, James;,,, Bigguspeckkus.

9. danielf

danielf Funster

Morning bigguspeckus

The ctek dual is a battery to battery charger that replaces a split charge system , it puts more power into your leisure batteries than a standard split charge. And works the same charging regime as a ctek mains charger. It also has an input for solar panel and decided which is and charges leisure battery form the best source.

It charges at up to 20 amps so less than a sterling charger.

Daniel

10. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

@bigguspekus - I started the original post.

Here is a link to the CTEK web page. There is a good explanation of how it works. It also acts as a Solar Panel Controller, and you can add a solar panel as as option at a later date.

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/D250S DUAL

You can also download a manual from here.

Installation was very simple, once I had routed the cables from the vehicle to leisure battery area.

I am very pleased with it. When driving, the leisure batteried are charged quicker, and to a better charge than before. The optional 100W solar panel keeps the leisure batteries charged, and when they are fully charged, provides a trickle charge to the vehicle battery. On trips away in the summer, the habitation batteries were always fully charged in the evening, without using EHU

John

• Like Like x 1
  11. bigguspeckus

bigguspeckus Funster

Ta muchesslottass Daniel, from dun ear in Narfuk.

12. bigguspeckus

bigguspeckus Funster

Info much appreciated Revolvor, tazee lots from dun ear in Narfuk.