Solar not charging Engine Battery (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
I have 100 w solar panel which doesn't appear to be charging the Fiat battery while in storage. The engine battery was in the red when I came to check the motorhome, leisure battery showed healthy.
Do I need more solar or is there a problem with the controller?
Thanks IA.
20230116_152313~2.jpg
20230116_193119~2.jpg
20230116_193130~2.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You don't have the starter battery connected to the regulator. You need a battery master or battery maintainer connected between the leisure and starter battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
You haven't got trickle charge from your controller to your vehicle battery so it won't keep your battery topped up

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As other have said, the second battery output of the solar controller is not connected to anything, and could be connected to the starter battery. I can't find the manual for this controller, but if you have it you will probably find you can set the charging ratio, to for example 90% to leisure battery, 10% to starter battery.

Just one caution, if you do wire up the starter battery, keep a close eye on the voltages for a few days to make sure it is working OK. There is one type of solar controller, rebranded by different companies, that has a common positive terminal instead of a common negative terminal normally found in vehicles. In that case the second battery output is unusable, and causes problems if connected. That brown wire left unconnected makes me a bit suspicious that it's one of those.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You have a dual regulator. Connect the second battery output to your starter battery. Twin cable and a fuse. Sorted. 👍
Yes I suppose that was an option as well :LOL:;) I was thinking it might be a long way to the starter battery from where the solar regulator is and sometimes it's just easier to go BM or maintainer route as the two battery connections are very often close together somewhere(y)

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Gets right on my top note when you pay an expert to do a job. Why he didn't connect the starter battery I will never know!
So I will do this myself and add on another 100 watt panel at the same time. Is it worth getting a better controller or is that one ok? Funfair - sorry that went right over my head 'BM or maintainer route'.
Thanks. Don

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Even in this day and age, motorhomes are still being produced that have a good way of charging the leisure battery, but no way to maintain the starter battery if parked up for an extended time.

One solution is to have a device which trickle-charges the starter battery from the leisure battery. That's what a battery maintainer is for. It's an alternative to a dual solar controller. It trickle-charges the starter battery when the solar is charging the leisure battery. It has the advantage that it also trickle-charges the starter battery when the mains charger is charging the leisure battery. There are various brands, but a favourite on here is the BatteryMaster (BM).

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
So I will do this myself and add on another 100 watt panel at the same time. Is it worth getting a better controller or is that one ok?
I think that controller, at 20A, is good for up to 250W of panel. If you are thinking of a new controller, there are two types, known as PWM and MPPT. In the midday Spanish sun, they are about the same, but in cloudy conditions and low light the MPPT type will give you a few percent more yield. The MPPT type costs a bit more too. PWM controllers seem to be mostly for lower power solar arrays, and MPPT can be used for both low and high power, including high voltage arrays on house roofs.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Even in this day and age, motorhomes are still being produced that have a good way of charging the leisure battery, but no way to maintain the starter battery if parked up for an extended time.

One solution is to have a device which trickle-charges the starter battery from the leisure battery. That's what a battery maintainer is for. It's an alternative to a dual solar controller. It trickle-charges the starter battery when the solar is charging the leisure battery. It has the advantage that it also trickle-charges the starter battery when the mains charger is charging the leisure battery. There are various brands, but a favourite on here is the BatteryMaster (BM).
You now have the excellent explanation from auotorouter but I will add that there is a subtle difference between the battery maintainer from the likes of Votronic, Buttner and CBE, and the Battery Master from Vanbitz, to use the battery maintainer type you need to be sure that your solar is taking the leisure batteries above 13.6v as this is the point that the trickle charge to the starter battery starts, the Battery Master works a little differently in that it is just looking for a differential in the two voltages of something like 0.65v so your leisure batteries might only be at 12.9v but your starter battery would be maintained to over 12.2v, OK not fully charged by any means but usually enough to start the van.

The one warning re battery maintainers listed above is that they don't like LiFePO4 batteries, the Vanbitz seems to be OK with them.

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Brilliant - thanks.
So the easiest solution would be vanbitz's BM. Reading the instructions I need to find the 'Split Charge Relay'. Where am I likely to find this?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What sort of electrical control system do you have, that might be an easier place to find the connections, some photos might help, but no sorry I don’t know where your split charge relay will be.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012

I have charging to both my sets of batteries via the system I have but these past couple of months the sun has not been effective enough to the starter battery meaning I have had to charge it at home every 8-12 days. The leisure batteries have always been full. I’m looking now at the % setting.

So I have been looking at getting a Battery Master and spoken by email with Ash at VanBitz and also RoadPro via live chat re similar Voltronic system. Both very helpful 😊

The purpose of posting now was to draw attention to the fact not all things are equal. The VanBitz Battery Master charges when there is a voltage drop whilst the Voltronic one needs to have a +ve EHU or solar charge producing something into the leisure battery, if not it won’t activate so can’t share the current. So there is a risk if no solar charging re cover or cloud it won’t help you.

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
Kimndon, the charge controller and wiring don't look to be properly secured. At risk of stating the obvious the charge controller needs to be securely mounted to a surface and the cables supported with suitable clips to stop any cable movement or strain on the cable connections.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Gets right on my top note when you pay an expert to do a job. Why he didn't connect the starter battery I will never know!
So I will do this myself and add on another 100 watt panel at the same time. Is it worth getting a better controller or is that one ok? Funfair - sorry that went right over my head 'BM or maintainer route'.
Thanks. Don
Sorry but I wouldn’t have paid a penny for that installation. Wrong and undersized cables with the controller not secured. If I were you I would check the panel is secure on the roof and the cables are in a weatherproof box or gland for water tightnes.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Brilliant - thanks.
So the easiest solution would be vanbitz's BM. Reading the instructions I need to find the 'Split Charge Relay'. Where am I likely to find this?
I think your Motorhome may have a Schaudt EBL (119 ? ) fitted , if so , and the leisure and starter batteries are to far apart for direct connections , the rear of the EBL is a good place to connect a Vanbitz battery master as the 3 x connections needed are all there,

Last edited:
OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, you are all correct. Going over to the motorhome in storage and check everything, take photos and come back and check with you guys. Will rewire this properly.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I have charging to both my sets of batteries via the system I have but these past couple of months the sun has not been effective enough to the starter battery meaning I have had to charge it at home every 8-12 days. The leisure batteries have always been full. I’m looking now at the % setting.

So I have been looking at getting a Battery Master and spoken by email with Ash at VanBitz and also RoadPro via live chat re similar Voltronic system. Both very helpful 😊

The purpose of posting now was to draw attention to the fact not all things are equal. The VanBitz Battery Master charges when there is a voltage drop whilst the Voltronic one needs to have a +ve EHU or solar charge producing something into the leisure battery, if not it won’t activate so can’t share the current. So there is a risk if no solar charging re cover or cloud it won’t help you.
Just an update, I adjusted the output settings on my Truma sun controller to give 70% of charge to the vehicle battery where before it was 30%. Very easy to change settings, even for me. The van battery is charging great these past 2 days back in storage, even with low levels of sun, currently showing 13.6v on the Phantom App so I’m very pleased. At this rate I may not need to add a battery master. 😊

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Further update, it’s 9 days since I changed the setting, as described above, and even on the cloudy days the starter battery has not dropped below 12.6V and each day it has been charging at over 13V. Not able to say what the leisure batteries are like until I visit but I expect them to be pretty fully charged still. 😊

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks. Don
The most difficult bit of a solar installation is finding a way to the Fiat starter battery under the cab floor. That's why they don't tend to bother.
The controller will be ok if you can fit a pair of 4 mm cables to the starter battery

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
After changing the Truma solar controller settings to 70% to cab 30% to leisure 12 days ago. The cab battery was seen to be charging every day via the Tracker App and today I found them to be cab 13.95V leisure 13.73V and there was 0.29A going into them even though it was very cloudy. A big big improvement 😊

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
I have fed 4mmsq. From the solar controller to the Fiat battery, (approx 1 metre in length). Just to check that I am ok to connect the red to the positive and my yellow wire to the negative??
If this works ok I might add another 50 or 100 panel. Should I rewire from the solar panel to the solar controller with 4 mmsq. Wire?
I have checked the roof gland and panel - both good.
Thanks for all your help.
Don

20230224_084300.jpg 20230224_084332.jpg 20230224_085329.jpg 20230224_085345.jpg 20230224_102702.jpg

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Very informative post for someone like me who knows very little about electrical systems. I have recently acquired a CI motorhome which is fitted with a Carbest MPPT regulator. It appeared that the solar panel was only charging the leisure battery even though it appears to be a dual-charge controller. Having downloaded the manual for the regulator and looked at the wiring on mine it shows that the starter battery isn't connected.
My question is about the grounding/negative cable for the engine battery. The manual only shows a positive port for connecting the MPPT controller to the engine battery, is this because the engine battery is already grounded? And, if so, does this mean that I only need to have the positive cable attached from the MPPT to the engine battery? Apologies again for my lack of basic knowledgeIMG20220801080823.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-28-11-01-31-91_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
does this mean that I only need to have the positive cable attached from the MPPT to the engine battery?
In a word, yes. As you know, the alternator charges the starter battery, and the negative return from the starter battery to the alternator negative is through the engine and bodywork. The leisure battery is charged from the alternator when the engine is running, and for that to happen the leisure battery negative return needs to be connected to the chassis as well. If the solar controller negative connects to the leisure battery negative, that is already connected to the chassis and the starter negative.

The chances are the two negatives are linked together inside the solar controller anyway. If they aren't, a short link between the two negative terminals may be required.

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
In a word, yes. As you know, the alternator charges the starter battery, and the negative return from the starter battery to the alternator negative is through the engine and bodywork. The leisure battery is charged from the alternator when the engine is running, and for that to happen the leisure battery negative return needs to be connected to the chassis as well. If the solar controller negative connects to the leisure battery negative, that is already connected to the chassis and the starter negative.

The chances are the two negatives are linked together inside the solar controller anyway. If they aren't, a short link between the two negative terminals may be required.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail, that's very helpful 👍

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have fed 4mmsq. From the solar controller to the Fiat battery, (approx 1 metre in length). Just to check that I am ok to connect the red to the positive and my yellow wire to the negative??
If this works ok I might add another 50 or 100 panel. Should I rewire from the solar panel to the solar controller with 4 mmsq. Wire?
I have checked the roof gland and panel - both good.
Thanks for all your help.
Don
Just check that the solar controller can accomodate an extra 50/ 100watt going into it. You may be better with an mppt controller rather than the pmw that you have now.

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Just reading above - I am not sure. Should I connect the yellow, ( brown/negative) to the battery or to ground.
Sorry - confused. This will be a temporary fix until I get more solar and a MPPT.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just connect the positive from the engine battery to the terminal on the solar controller. It is not necessary to connect any negative wire. There is already a negative connection to the leisure battery, and that is connected via the chassis to the engine battery negative. It's only a small trickle charge, so there will be very little voltage drop along the negative return path.

If it was a heavy current, say 20 or 30 amps, it might be worth considering a direct wire connection, but for a trickle charge current of about 1 or 2 amps the existing return path will be fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back