Solar Controller

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by Daifuse, May 26, 2014.

1. Daifuse

Daifuse

I fitted a 100W Biard solar panel earlier in the year. It feeds 2 x 110Ah. batteries. The charge rate is not indicated on the controller except by tri-colour led's and I'm concerned that the batteries are being over-charged - loss of electrolyte in both and higher than normal voltage - 14.9v in sunlight. I'd prefer a better controller so that I can see what's going on. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I use a Votronic MPPT controller and then a Votronic solar computer that simply plus into the controller. There is no information on the controller other than a few lights.

The solar computer gives charge in amps, battery volts, total ah delivered since a reset and total power in KWh again resettable so you can have a weekend away and see what power you have had from the sun.

Not the cheapest by a chunk but works for me.

Martin

3. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes I use the one listed above but you can save money on the 200watt version

5. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I have both the 200w and 300w controllers running two different leisure battery banks, they both perform exceptionally well even in poor light,
    Recommended buy IMO:thumb:

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

7. Daifuse

Daifuse

Thanks for the suggestions - the consensus seems to be MPPT - I'll give it a try but it looks as if both my batteries are cooked. More expense!

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as your batteries are goosed i would suggest the solar controller is trying to push more power in to compensate for the poor battery condition, which is why its showing 14.9v.

New batteries should bring it back to 13.6v to 14.7v depending on battery charge state.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Fit a NASA BM1 and see The Big Picture. All in and out.

My solar controller is odd, it runs up to 14.6V for a second then drops to 13.6V for a few seconds then back up to 14.6V. Does not appear to be harming the battery.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Absolutely correct. A battery with a faulty cell, (they usually drop one of the outside cells first,) will constantly be asking for more voltage. In theory, a 12volt battery should be able to accept 15.5 volts before 'gassing', and therefore losing electrolyte, but in practice, this voltage can be much lower, depending on atmospheric conditions, ambient heat, temperature etc.