SOGs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by billkce, Sep 2, 2009.

1. billkce

billkce Funster

My other half has been reading about SOGs for the toilet cassette.

Any views on efficiency? :Smile:

2. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

SOGs are great, they save the cost of chemicals which are not needed, no smells whilst using the toilet, easy to use and no maintenance, and you can empty the cassette daily,as you are not dumping expensive chemicals. It is a good idea to empty the cassette daily because the only down side of a SOG is that when you empty the cassette it can be a bit smelly as it contains no chemicals.:thumb::thumb:

3. Scotties

Scotties Funster Life Member

Sog ...

As Vindiboy said, it is the best single upgrade for any motorhome. making it possible to carry out normal bodily functions within its confines by venting all unmentionable odours.

You will believe yours does not stink:Wink:

Regards Richard

4. billkce

billkce Funster

I've seen them advertised for £94. Is that the going rate & would you advise a professional to fit one?

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi bill there was quite a nice friendly bit of banta about sogs 4 or 5 weeks ago. Have a search through the threads.

Basically there was those of us that had shxt than didn't smell and those that did:Rofl1: makes amusing reading with some good info that might answer your question

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

:Rofl1::Rofl1:Those that didn't passed it on to those that did :Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Looks like yet again you get bogged down on the same matter :Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

£94 is about the going rate. I fitted one the weekend before last. Took me 1/2 day but I took my time to check fitting and wiring runs etc. It's not difficult if you are a competent handyman. The main issue is to measure several times before you drill or cut. Having done it once, I guess it could be done in about 1.5 hours, but then it's not something I'm likely to make a habit of doing.

I took time to find a convenient power junction block, rather than break into existing cables with the Scotch-Blocks they provide. This took me a bit longer than the standard fit.

I was fitting a model B for a C200 Thetford by the way.

Of course, I cannot comment on the efficacy of the SOG as we have yet to assault its air passages, so to speak, but I'm hoping it is all that others have claimed (that's what supporters have claimed - not detractors you understand).

Philip

9. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

only if you have the slide valve open while you are carrying out those functions. Otherwise the smell is going to be as usual and the only gain will be not getting the waft of foul air from the cassette when you flush.

10. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

So on behalf of all us newbies can I ask.....

WHAT THE XXXX IS A SOG ?

11. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Google "SOG".

Picture is worth ...

12. davetthedon

davetthedon Read Only Funster

Did that got this......

13. 6pm Cowboy

OK
    SOG = Society of Genealogists

SOG= Son of GAIA

SOG =
    Special Operations Group

??????

14. 6pm Cowboy

OK
    SOG = Society of Genealogists

SOG= Son of GAIA

SOG =
    Special Operations Group

??????

So do genealohists know how to stop poo smelling ? :Rofl1:

15. 6pm Cowboy

Ahhhh I should have perservered..... Google page 3

SOG = Senile old Git

methinks that would make the smell worse.:Rofl1:

16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Ok Guys-

For the newbies out there-

The sog is basically this dependent on which camp you come from, the SOG for all vans camp -Mine :thumb:

Or the all Sogs should be banned camp- scotjims:Blush:

My camp- says the SOG is an extraction system that you fit in to your motrhome toilet door and connects to the casette. When you sit down to rid yourself of yesterdays BBQ the flap of the casette is opened and the smells that some create are extracted from your beneath and placed outside via a very efficiant carbon filter. This leaves your bathroom smelling nice and fresh. The other positive sign is that it creates a vacum that amazingly breaks down all the solid matter without use for a toilet allowing you to use normal toilets for emptying or even digging a whole and burying it.

The Scotjim camp-
    The sog is basically a computer fan and a few pipes that costs 2bob to buy. Its sole purpose is to throw out filthy dirty smelly air out of an extractor fan to annoy your neighbours whom have to suffer the displeasure. The other downside is that when emptying a sog all other members on the site need to be outside a 3 mile radius to ensure that they dont get gassed by its appaling smells.:Tongue1:

they you go :thumb:

17. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

A SOG is a venting system for your cassette toilet, as soon as you open the slide in the cassette to use the toilet a fan comes on and vents all cassette gasses to the outside of your van. If you have an awning in use and if your toilet cassette removal door is in the awning area, guess where the smell goes, another slight downside to a S O G I guess, stiill we love ours.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Well, I wasn't going to replay to ANOTHER SOG thread.. but .. can't let this go un answered..

It's a clever product, it takes all the stench of the cassette and shares it with your neighbours, and if your in a tight spot in an aire .. they soon leave .. :thumb:
    because the extremely efficient carbon filter is a MYTH .. if anyone thinks that 1/4 inch carbon filter removes the foul smelling gasses that only a night on curry and beer can produce.. .. think again ..

But don't despair.. SOG lovers can now we have SOG Mk2 ... or STEALTH SOG .. this is even cleverer .. :RollEyes: the filter outlet is under the van so no one will know where the smell is coming from so no embarrassing under the awning complaints .... .. the ultimate chemical weapon to get rid of unwelcome neighbours..

Other good weapons are, a genny , a couple of yapping dogs, pack of kids, smoky BBQ and if your posh, an outdoor entertainment console as seen on up-market RVs..

All great fun on a crowded Aire :thumb:

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

SOG'S law

Sods Law my next van will have SOG fitted .. :Doh: :Eeek:

PAYBACK TIME .. :thumb::Cool:

:Laughing::Laughing:

20. 6pm Cowboy

Showing my newbyism again ( crawls into loo to hide ) but I thought MHs had under vehicle black waste tanks, whats all this about cassettes ? sounds like tent camping.

< goes to get moist tissue to use in sog gy toilet >