So what is the Answer?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Popeye, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Extended travelling in France Spain or Portugal, how do you guys manage for Gas?

Is it Gaslow or adapters or what?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Cheapest and simplest way is buy a local bottle and regulator. LPG to fill a UK gas bottle is not on every street corner in Spain.

3. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We have two 11kg Gaslows. Also we have discovered that a French bottle will fit straight on if we needed to. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Gaslow for us, but I'd prefer a decent sized under slung tank. That way I could turn my exsisting gas locker into a welly locker and have it house an extra leisure battery as well:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Thanks for that, the underfloor tank makes a load of sense, I've got oodles of space under the floor, then I suppose I'd have to get a filler neck plumbed out to the side of the van.

Mind you, Ken's solution has to be cheaper and less fuss.......what sort of cost are these Gaslow systems?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree with Dave

I had an large LPG tank on the RV, relatively easy to fill up in France but not Spain... so after entering Spain I kept the tank in reserve and used a local bottle.. same when we went to Morocco ..

It's also less hassle to buy a bottle on site than to de camp and take the motorhome looking for the stuff ..

Flexibility is the key word.. have Gaslow/fixed tank by all means but keep your options open and be equipped and prepared to use local gas when needs must. By that I mean have a method or facility for plumbing in a bottle .. ie a BBQ point or other facility.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Every time we go to Spain we see more LPG, MUCH more. in Portugal it seems to be more abundant than the UK, seemed every other garage had it on the Algarve this year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

We have Alugas refillable...2 x 11kg.. external connection fill...the same as gaslow but half the weight when full...That is for.. France, UK, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, and Germany

• Like Like x 1
  10. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

Have a look at GAS-It. Same as Gaslow. 2 x 11KG bottles and everything you need fittings and adaptor wise for £317 (delivered free).

11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Having a 5ver we use the gaslow adaptors then just buy local bottles when needed and use the relevent adaptor, we have 1 for the spanish bottle and 1 for the french 'le cube' bottle, you can get adaptors for all of the european countries.

12. aba

aba

i went with a single gaslow 11kg but i wish i had invested the money in an underslung tank as they are bigger and less hassle and not much more expensive.

although there are advantages to both ways its all down to weight.
    if you are running with 2 x 6 kg calor bottles it will cost around £20 to refill each one where as an 11kg gaslow will cost around £13 to fill and will sit in your existing locker.

if you decide to go underslung then you have another big space made available so inevitably the old gas locker ends up becoming the generator storage etc. and you end up carrying more weight mainly because you have the space so you are going to use it.

personally i would go with a 80 litre underslung tank fitted with stainless steel straps as the normal steel ones rust away and the last thing you want whilst doing 60mph on a motorway is effectively a bomb falling out from under your van.

13. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 4
  14. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Looking at the cost of a gas system myself. Prices I have been quoyed for just 1 11kg refillable system are as follows

Gaslow - £270
    Gas it - £165 - free next day delivery
    autogas - £175 (steel bottle)

Looked at the aluminium bottles but cant really justify the extra £50 a bottle to save 4kg.

Or just go for the underslung option

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As with so many items, what price does one put on convenience and peace of mind?

When we got our van back in February we had a single 11 Kg Alugas bottle installed and continued to carry a 6 Kg Calor as spare. After a while we decided we would like a second Alugas bottle, probably towards the end of the year but circumstances then dictated getting a second one earlier than we had planned. Yes, it cost a bit but the freedom it gives us was - for us - well worth it.

Same can be said of the solar panel we have.

To go back to the OP though, I still reckon the best solution is to not cross the Channel in the first place :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

#Not really a good idea Jim the locker would have gas pipes and connections all of which could be the source of possible gas leaks, do you really want to put a spark generator in there, I wouldn't.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a good converter would move all the pipework to the underbody leaving the locker free of all gas bits and pieces.

a cowboy converter may just extend whats already there.

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Jim - If that's all you want to use your locker for, it would probably be cheaper to have a Beeny box installed instead. When we were considering getting a fixed tank fitted to our new van (before I managed to 'encourage' the 11kg Gaslow bottle into the locker using a lump hammer! :thumb: ) we were quoted around £770!!!! :Eeek:

20. sedge

sedge Funster

It would have needed something more substantial than a liump hammer to get the 11kg Galslow bottles in our gas locker - so do check on dimensions of them and you gas locker door, before ordering 11kg of any brand.

Locker itself plenty big. Just the daft door ......

Hence we use two 6kg Gaslow ...... we very rarely stay on a site so hence no mains this year for a month we went nearly full (had filled up towards the end of a few days in Norfolk earlier in the year) and grabbed two refills when the opportunities arose oce in the middle when we had just started bottle 2, and ditto right at the end of the month on the way back in Dunkerque ISTR - because it's cheaper in France is all and saves having to do a 15 mile trip to fill it up at home, before we go somewhere next time.

We keep having to say this on similar threads about 'measure your door' - think it ought to be a ruddy sticky by now! (been saying for over 3 years at this point LOL)