So many times I've been overtaken by speeding caravans

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, May 28, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Looks like speed was a major factor here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Agree Jim. I wonder why so many tuggers think that the towing speed limits don't apply to them, many a time on the motorway I get passed by caravans.

• Like Like x 2
  3. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Self inflicted I'd say. I too have often been overtaken at speed by towed caravans.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

tuggers love overtaking motorhomes.. it's as though they are trying to prove something.. :rolleyes:

it's like willy waving ..

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Yes, a few overtook us on our way home from Falkirk this week. I wonder if people take any notice of the 80% rule when towing a caravan???

6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

+the inability to drive .
    When I lived in Devon, once spring came it was a weekly occurrence of an overturned caravan between J25, Taunton & 26 Wellington.

The only overturned caravan I have ever seen here was a British one.

7. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Just this last week on the M6 there have been 3 such disasters with caravans ,I saw one by junction 31 and the tailbacks were miles long .I remember in Yorkshire a few years back on a long downhill straight a caravan passed me at great speed and a few minutes later so did an ambulance the caravan was on its side smashed up and the driver and his wife were both hurt.

8. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

Can someone tell me how fast the caravan was traveling at.

9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Too fast by the looks of it. But I'm no expert, I know that, radical manoeuvres, the wrong loading giving C of G problems, overloaded nose weight, overall weight, the car caravan combination weights. Can all cause serious problems. But, you might get away with any of those problems at low speed, but...

10. Dave K

Dave K Funster

You'll be pleased to know it hasn't changed, I think the large 4x4 are the biggest culprits, they seem to forget they're towing something very lightweight and not stable at high speeds, we got passed by a few on the way down to Cornwall this week with the caravan swaying about on the back.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Us too. To and from Devon last month on motorways 90% of the time I lost count of the times we were overtaken by tuggers. I tend to sit in cc at around 60 mph which is probably 56/57 on the sat nav, perhaps it's too slow for them?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Having recently become a tugger I drive with extreme caution and I attended a training course before using the van.

Only once have I passed a motorhome on the motorway and it scared the life out of me; I felt the overtake was necessary because the mh was travelling at 45 mph, staying behind it meant that all lorries etc were passing me and causing crazy buffetting.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Suppose really its time a caravan / large trailer driving test was introduced along with a mot type assessment of trailer ...

• Like Like x 3
  14. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

While I totally agree with you that people should be trained unless you can get through to them the towing weight capability of the tow vehicle the need for correct loading, The fact that whatever the total weight of the caravan is the nose weight should be 7% of that weight and should under no circumstances exceed the tow vehicle manufactures nose weight nor the caravan manufactures nose weight.

Recently saw a twin axle being hooked up to a tow car that I doubt was truly capable of towing it then saw all the toys and BBQ + gas bottle plus bikes and awing ground sheet being packed inside it then the awning was stuffed into the gas locker at the front. Off they went car back down - caravan nose down and totally oblivious to the danger they present not only to them selves but to other traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Many years ago I was towing a Compass Rallye behind a heavy old Ford Sierra. I never sped, was meticulous about the towing weights and considered myself a careful and safe driver.

Coming back from a holiday in Cornwall on the M4 just south of Oxford, on the flat and level, a coach passed me doing about 75mph I reckon (I was at 60mph on inside lane). The bow wave started a snake; I eased off exactly as they say you should, no brakes etc. As we slowed and from about 50mph through to 30mph the van was bouncing off each wheel. It was quite terrifying, kids in the back screaming and wife almost woke up! Shortly after that I changed the van to a lightweight Swift with alloy chassis making my rig something like 60% of tow car weight.

Quite scary when it goes pear shaped!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

If there was some mot type test for trailer caravans it would have to be for the whole outfit. There are many, no doubt, perfectly safe caravans that only become dangerous because the towcar is unsuitable or the hitch height is wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Not condoning speed but would it have anything to do with age. Most motorhome drivers are old possibly retired and no children. The caravan driver could still be working, cash rich but time poor, kids screaming in the back and just wants to get from A to B in the shortest possible time. The journey may be something they endure rather than enjoy, not excusing bad driving but looking at possible reasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mickx

Mickx Funster

I thought I was tonking along at warp speed yesterday on the A14 (66mph) and TAG caravan being towed by a RRS went helling past - if only common sense was common.....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Speed is always the biggest factor in these accidents but weight balance also has a big effect. Had a Lunar caravan, before our first long trip in it I carefully balanced the weight I took the spare wheel out of the front locker and put in on the floor above the axle and carefully packed the van so the noseweight was correct. A few mile down the motorway from Calais got the most horrendous sway, slowed down carefully when safe to stop through everything back in the front locker and it towed fine after that. Our last caravan was a Hobby had a very light nose weight even had a bike rack on the back and that towed like a dream.

• Like Like x 1
  20. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I thought there was, is it not called B+E? Don't know what the test covers but it should certainly cover correct outfit matching and loading.
    Agree with the MOT for trailers, most other EU countries have some form of testing.

I have always towed with the correct nose weight and this usually gives a slight nose down to the van, much preferable to having weight at the back end causing a pendulum effect.

• Like Like x 2