So how do you get started on these cold frosty mornings.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gonewiththewind, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Over the past 3 to 4 weeks my van is getting harder to start. This morning have resorted to the spray can. Not sure if this is good, bad or indifferent. I was told many moons ago, that it damaged your engine.
    Any one want to clarify or offer advice.

(beats the political stuff):Rofl1:

Don

2. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Petrol or diesel?

3. Gonewiththewind

Diessl !

Don

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Becouse I use 100% bio diesel in my vehicles I have an inline fuel heater which warms up the fuel by the use of 2 glowplugs which thermostaticaly switch off when the engine is at working tempreture.When the glowplugs switch off the fuel is warmed by the heater coolant.I had no problems with starting even when temps went down to minus 15 last year.Engines that use biofuel are not as easy to start as fossil diesel engines,but I have had no problems as yet.Regarding your difficult starting in cold wheather,have you checked that your glowplugs are working correctly.

5. Gonewiththewind

At the moment I use 50/50 Diesel and Bio. I have changed the glow plugs, but how do you check that they are functioning correctly.

I had looked at one of these heater filters, but pension dosnt go that far.

Don

6. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Glow plugs would be my guess on diesel, if the motors cranking happily then there's you most likely problem.

As to starting fluid, don't know but I'd be cautious on a diesel, but other may and probably do know better:thumb:

7. Snowbird

Any competant mechanic will test the glowplugs for you.
    The fuel heaters I use came from Germany,but are now available on ebay UK for about £85 for the complete system.If you use these you can run 100% bio and it wont take long to get your money back.

8. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Having to use ether to get a diesel going, assuming that glow plugs and the fuel delivery is OK can be a indication that the engine is loosing compression, but as said before all these things can be tested.

As to doing damage, yes it does do damage, it lifts the temperature of the exhaust higher that normal and can burn the valve seats, but if it is loss of compression then the engine is already in need of work and the damage that the ether is doing is not important.

However if the compression is good the damage is more serious as it will course loss of compression due to the burning of the valve seats. get it checked as soon as possible and you may save yourself a head overhaul.

Doug...

9. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Should we not know what sort of mileage the engine has done?

My Transit with 130k miles can be a bit sluggish, but I normally give it 2 turns of the key = twice the glowpluggery, then start.

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

It has been said that engines get addicted to the use of Easy Start, an ether based aerosol, how true this I do not know.

I cannot see how the use of it would burn out valve seats as it is only enough to get a few ignition sequences, enough to kick start.

Peter

11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

My well used 1966 International B414 tractor given 40 secs on glowplugs always starts ok. When battery was low I tried easystart , it worked but knocked like mad when first started. I think best to avoid it.

12. Snowbird

As I have said in previous posts regarding engines becoming addicted to easystart.They are made from metal,therefore cannot become addicted.
    People think they become addicted becouse once you start to use it you have to keep using it.The problem is that if you have to use easystart there is an underlying problem with your motor,sort that out and you wont nead the easystart.

13. goffer

goffer Read Only Funster

sound like sluggish battery to me, glow plugs have been replaced so should be ok normally last for several years.

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Has anyone ever taken the cylinder head off a engine that has had a lot of easy start in it ? I have :thumb: it looked like it had been hit with a axe :cry:Knocked hell out of it - best to avoid it if possible :thumb:Make sure the battery is fully charged - a good earth and that the glow plugs are working :thumb:
    terry

15. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Believe me Peter its true, for my sins I served my time on Diesel engines and lost count of the number of engines that I have overhauled, I have seen valves that have pieces missing the shape of a slice of cake from engines that had a to be started every morning on ether.

Doug...

16. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Might not be the glowplugs but the controller that isnt letting them stay on for long enough. A always give the van 2 or 3 glow plug cycles before starting on a really cold day, seems to work every time for me :thumb:

17. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Poor cold starting gonewithewind

If when you turn on the ignition, the glow plug lamp stays on for a reasonable time, then it is an easy job to test your glow plugs. Using a long socket of correct size ( 10 or 11 mm I think ) take out the glow plugs one at a time, get a good battery and put a pretty substantial piece of wire from the Pos terminal to the threaded end that the connector normaly goes to and put the side of the plug body onto the neg terminal ( dont use the threaded part of the body that screws into the engine, you may burn it ). A good plug will glow red. No glow , its US. Only do this if you are a Bit handy at DIY. Good luck. Mitch

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Glow plugs will need a little longer to go out. Don't always trust the dash light!

On some vehicles, if you listen carefully, you will hear a 'click' as the solenoid relay knocks off. This is usually, quite a few seconds AFTER the dash light goes out. Listen for that.

If not, use the old 'ten second rule' - sometimes it may even need a little longer, or to switch off the ignition and start the process again.

During snow/icy periods, buy quality fuels. Cheaper ones do not have as much, if any additive and diesel does freeze. Allow for this thickening on start up, as that fuel in you lines will be colder than in the tank.

19. Gonewiththewind

Thats another queation answered without me asking. My dash light goes out after about 5 / 6 seconds owever the click doesnt occur for another 10 seconds, and I did wonder which should I rely on. thanks to the above, I now know.

Don

20. Gonewiththewind

Thanks Mitch, I should have tried that when I fit the new ones 2 week ago. however we assume that new gear is OK and working. But will have to brave the cold and remove one and try that method.
    I am begining to doubt the battery, but that will have to wait as pension christmas and new batteries just dont go together.
    Much appreciate all comments and advice.

Thanks
    Don