• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Snipe Automatic Satellite Dish (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Hi I’m after a Snipe Automatic Satellite Dish. Or another fully automatic system. Must be simple to install. Thanks ?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I know you are only pointing out what's available but no way would I pay that for a 1st edition. In fact having had a snipe 2 I wouldn't buy another one. I named it daisy. .... Will let you guess the reason why :giggler:
Had ours updated and it has not failed us yet? Not sure what it is that you are referring to? Surely it comes down to you being the owner and keeping it up to date? If you dont ...its like not servicing the car ! It fails!

Kev

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Had ours updated and it has not failed us yet? Not sure what it is that you are referring to? Surely it comes down to you being the owner and keeping it up to date? If you dont ...its like not servicing the car ! It fails!

Kev
Ours was kept well up to date! Maybe you've been lucky or I was just unlucky but I can only call it as I experienced it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We had a Snipe 2 for a couple of years before we sold the ‘van, and it performed well as long as there was a good ‘line-of-sight’ to the satellites......
We haven’t bothered to get satellite for the new ‘van as we mostly stream content now, or use the supplied digital aerial.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
We had a mark one and kept it updated the only problem we had was on occasions of traveling abroad was to reset the GPS as it very rarely self tracked, not a difficult thing to do just added a few mins to TV watching wait! Worked on UK channels as far east as Kiel and the Baltic, just about picked up south at Arles and fine on the Atlantic coast to Bordeaux after that we were on different satellites and were amazed at how many calls to prayers there were each day and Gibraltan TV was like watching the 1970/80's . We went for an 85cm dish this time as we can pick up programmes about 250 miles further south than the Snipe which equates to a 65cm dish But apart from that quite happy with the Snipe

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i have recently bought a pre owned 85cm oyster vision 111 with twin lnb and skew. i hadnt looked at it for about 6 weeks as i had a lot on and weather wasnt good. started to fit it over the weekend, taking advantage of the good weather - ran all the cables and put additional sat sockets in as i will be using one feed for the bedroom and one for the lounge area (single tv though !!) and tested it for the first time yesterday. THANKFULLY everything worked as it should.

just need to fit it on the roof now !!

it was quite expensive but well less than half the price new, so a large expensive outlay. so if you do buy second hand/pre used make sure you see it all working before you part with your money !

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
make sure you see it all working before you part with your money !

Yep your eyes are your merchant and for me if its not at least half price the cost of a new one then I'd rather buy new and get the warranty.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi I’m after a Snipe Automatic Satellite Dish. Or another fully automatic system. Must be simple to install. Thanks ?
We bought a pre-owned Snipe 2 from another Funster about a year or so back and self-fitted onto the roof of our motorhome.
Relatively easy to fit once I got passed the "eeeek I've got to drill a hole in the roof" thought. The gang on here were of great assistance in terms of both advice and confidence building.
Once I'd worked out where it was going to go and the cable routing it probably took 3-4 hours (excluding full setting time for the adhesive) for it to be on the roof and connected up to TV. Left it over night before testing for the first time to ensure adhesive had set.
Whilst I've never had first hand experience of the v1 Snipe I had read that it could be susceptible to worn \ damaged gearing. Others may be able to confirm or otherwise.
One of the pros I like about our Snipe is that it can be used in fairly strong winds. During Storm Ciara(?) earlier this year we were able to continue watching TV whilst others with "traditional" dishes had lowered theirs.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
the dome type are certainly more weather proof in terms of use during winds etc. our last two motorhomes had dome type sat dishes and we never had an issue WHEN we could get a signal. However we dont usually use our moho in winter so have made the decision this time to go for an 85cm dish (Oyster).

when we attended the new year rally, we managed to watch tv via the internet (when we werent partying lol) as we had no sat dish at the time, so i do think though that as data availability increases and price decreases, then sat dishes may become less relevant (although for many tv is totally irrelevant when using their moho anyway!)

i have seen projects where the motorised lift up dishes have been adapted for directional solar and directional internet reception, so in 5/10 years time ......?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back