Smoking in motorhomes: new law October 2015 (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Why, if smoking is such a good thing, do motorhome owners go outside, in all weathers, to have their fix ?

I don't think I know of any smoker who thinks it is a good thing. I don't go outside to smoke I don't see why I should suffer more than I need to for my suffering.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have been on e cigs for some time now. I always go outside to have a little poof, except in our static or m/home!
I am amazed when visiting others, non smokers, who say to me don't go outside e cigs are no problem!

Enter stage left Buttons!!!

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Can manage without farting and sex but swearing I'm not so sure ................
Now, I think I can manage without swearing but I am not sure about the farting and sex bit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
I read it different you can smoke as long as no one under 18 is in the vehical,simple don't allow children in your motorhome. Done my time bringing up kids.Stay away from them now as much as possible don't do campsites with swimming pools, no kids playgrounds if you turn up at an aire stay away from motorhomes with kids bikes on the back.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
trying yet agene to stop tobacco going to have a go at the e sig it so much better in the van as it dose not stink the van uo
bill

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
People having their kids breathe in their second hand smoke?
It's a great idea.
It means I don't have breathe it in instead!

I'm against this new law!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
trying yet agene to stop tobacco going to have a go at the e sig it so much better in the van as it dose not stink the van uo
bill
Beg to differ, been on the e-cigs for ages, and it could just be my preferred flavour, but they most assuredly do smell. My personal favourite is coffee, which makes everything smell of burnt coffee.
The plus point is, that recent studies show that the vapour is totally harmless as a second hand recipient. But still expect to be told to go outside to have a puff! :D
Also handy tip, the e-cigs you can buy in newsagents and supermarkets are rubbish, and will not help you quit (voice of experience), find your nearest vape shop, you can try before you buy! ;-)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Why, if smoking is such a good thing, do motorhome owners go outside, in all weathers, to have their fix ?
Well, if their male, chances are their married to an ex smoking woman. :( Women ex smokers are the grumpiest, tetchy, and uncompromising people in the universe. :cry::cry:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Beg to differ, been on the e-cigs for ages, and it could just be my preferred flavour, but they most assuredly do smell. My personal favourite is coffee, which makes everything smell of burnt coffee.
The plus point is, that recent studies show that the vapour is totally harmless as a second hand recipient. But still expect to be told to go outside to have a puff! :D
Also handy tip, the e-cigs you can buy in newsagents and supermarkets are rubbish, and will not help you quit (voice of experience), find your nearest vape shop, you can try before you buy! ;-)
This basically supports why I am against e-cigarettes being sold, rather than prescribed and the user monitored, they don't actually stop you getting your 'high' - you just switch to another form of nicotine addiction.

People actually take up e-cigs who have never smoked before thinking it is totally safe.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
you just switch to another form of nicotine addiction.
Nothing wrong with nicotine, says the nice lady at the 'stop smoking' clinic. Its the crap in the tobacco plant that does the damage.............................If indeed it does.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
This basically supports why I am against e-cigarettes being sold, rather than prescribed and the user monitored, they don't actually stop you getting your 'high' - you just switch to another form of nicotine addiction.

People actually take up e-cigs who have never smoked before thinking it is totally safe.
Well yes and no, I am in favour of the liquids being regulated, so that the ingredients are safe. They deliver a small dose of nicotine, which in itself is no more harmful than an addiction to caffeine (which I am also guilty of).
They do offer the smoker a way of getting their nicotine hit, without all of the deadly stuff. And to be honest, if someone chooses to start vaping, surely that is preferable to the alternative?
I would suggest that someone who chooses to start vaping, would start smoking if the alternative was not available?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whatever next.................... worst of all no sex............ wait and see it will happen.
It already has , whatever next, it must be very difficult with all those cupboards and a low roof.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

so far luckily there has been absolutely no evidence of that. SMoking is no longer cool, the younger generation have finally got the message my generation and many before didn't - smoking isn't nice and it kills you.

ecigs need to be left alone. Many (me included) have found the nicotine addiction impossible to kick but have achieved a smoke free life by switching to ecigs. This isn't giving up and we know it but it is better than stopping smoking for a while inevitably to always end up back on the fags when life gets more strenuous and the latest fad crutch is deemed to have worked and therefore removed. If ecigs are banned (and medicalising them is the same thing due to the fact that you cannot medicalise something that has no benefit to health) I suspect many like me (maybe me maybe not) will end up back on tobacco

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
so far luckily there has been absolutely no evidence of that. SMoking is no longer cool, the younger generation have finally got the message my generation and many before didn't - smoking isn't nice and it kills you.

ecigs need to be left alone. Many (me included) have found the nicotine addiction impossible to kick but have achieved a smoke free life by switching to ecigs. This isn't giving up and we know it but it is better than stopping smoking for a while inevitably to always end up back on the fags when life gets more strenuous and the latest fad crutch is deemed to have worked and therefore removed. If ecigs are banned (and medicalising them is the same thing due to the fact that you cannot medicalise something that has no benefit to health) I suspect many like me (maybe me maybe not) will end up back on tobacco

Sorry but I don't agree, I have recently heard a group of young girls talking about taking up e-cigs simply because they think they are totally safe and are 'fashionable' ... and come in lots of lovely flavours! I suspect they would not even have contemplated taking up normal cigs!

As for going back on cigs for those who've stopped ... I know of a lot of people who have stopped and have been 'cig free' for a long, long time and even in the 'bad' times have never gone back to them as they realise the benefits of not 'using' them far outweigh the quick fix of having a puff.

To my mind if you think you'll go back to smoking when the 'need' arises you will ...

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Indeed this is true, and in fact quite depressing in this day and age. There have been conflicting 'scientific' reports from various people, all with their own agenda to follow. BAT conducted a survey, which somewhat predictably found that e-cigs were completely harmless. Which is interesting since BAT have invested heavily in the technology! Whilst a rabid anti-smoking organisation (can't remember which, sorry) also conducted tests and found the complete opposite. No need to postulate as to why they skewed their results.
I suspect in actual fact, that whilst e-cigs are not completely harmless, the effects would be comparable to say standing on a busy street in London for a few hours each day.
It would be nice to have a truly unbiased test performed by people with no hidden agenda so that we knew for sure.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Indeed this is true, and in fact quite depressing in this day and age. There have been conflicting 'scientific' reports from various people, all with their own agenda to follow. BAT conducted a survey, which somewhat predictably found that e-cigs were completely harmless. Which is interesting since BAT have invested heavily in the technology! Whilst a rabid anti-smoking organisation (can't remember which, sorry) also conducted tests and found the complete opposite. No need to postulate as to why they skewed their results.
I suspect in actual fact, that whilst e-cigs are not completely harmless, the effects would be comparable to say standing on a busy street in London for a few hours each day.
It would be nice to have a truly unbiased test performed by people with no hidden agenda so that we knew for sure.
Sorry but I don't agree, I have recently heard a group of young girls talking about taking up e-cigs simply because they think they are totally safe and are 'fashionable' ... and come in lots of lovely flavours! I suspect they would not even have contemplated taking up normal cigs!

As for going back on cigs for those who've stopped ... I know of a lot of people who have stopped and have been 'cig free' for a long, long time and even in the 'bad' times have never gone back to them as they realise the benefits of not 'using' them far outweigh the quick fix of having a puff.

To my mind if you think you'll go back to smoking when the 'need' arises you will ...

I love this site, two replies, both opposing, and a smile on every face :) :)

anyway, @MinxyGirl, I am sure (I know some) many people give up smoking for life. I am equally sure (I know them too) there are people who 'never stop giving up' and are on a constant cycle of addiction. I was one of those until I found myself on ecigs and am now over 3 years smoke free by choosing to switch to ecigs. They may prove not to be completely harmless, they will likely (as @DanielFord suggests) prove to be only equivalent to background pollution) but they sure as heck aren't as bad as smoking and I only need to wake up in the morning with a clear chest to know that.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
but they sure as heck aren't as bad as smoking and I only need to wake up in the morning with a clear chest to know that.
Ain't that the truth my friend! :D

But of course, an opposing opinion doesn't mean either party is wrong! :D

Anyway, I have just thought, I think this thread may have been slightly hijacked now! :blusher:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Who cares! no one is smoking in my van so it do,se not affect me We stopped fifteen years ago but dont bother about other people smoking as long as it is not in our van

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

anyway, @MinxyGirl, I am sure (I know some) many people give up smoking for life. I am equally sure (I know them too) there are people who 'never stop giving up' and are on a constant cycle of addiction. I was one of those until I found myself on ecigs and am now over 3 years smoke free by choosing to switch to ecigs. They may prove not to be completely harmless, they will likely (as @DanielFord suggests) prove to be only equivalent to background pollution) but they sure as heck aren't as bad as smoking and I only need to wake up in the morning with a clear chest to know that.
I'm not criticising or condemning you for your choice, in fact I'm more than happy to congratulate you for getting off the 'real' cigs and that you are realistic about knowing they are still an 'addiction' which some people don't appreciate. Its just the 'misconception' by some that they have no health issues at all and that there are some really nasty vip liquid concoctions out there which cannot be easily spotted.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Its just the 'misconception' by some that they have no health issues at all and that there are some really nasty vip liquid concoctions out there which cannot be easily spotted.
Yup, that's the point I agree on. Hence why I reckon regulation is required, or at least a licensing body so that one knows what is in them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well yes and no, I am in favour of the liquids being regulated, so that the ingredients are safe. They deliver a small dose of nicotine, which in itself is no more harmful than an addiction to caffeine (which I am also guilty of).
They do offer the smoker a way of getting their nicotine hit, without all of the deadly stuff. And to be honest, if someone chooses to start vaping, surely that is preferable to the alternative?
I would suggest that someone who chooses to start vaping, would start smoking if the alternative was not available?
E cig vape liquid is available with no nicotine at all - in fact the majority of e liquids sold in vape shops are very low or zero nicotine content. To get a decent nicotine fix you have to ask for high strength (and understand that different shops have different ideas about what is high strength). As a pipe smoker turned vaper I struggle to maintain my addiction.:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
E cig vape liquid is available with no nicotine at all - in fact the majority of e liquids sold in vape shops are very low or zero nicotine content. To get a decent nicotine fix you have to ask for high strength (and understand that different shops have different ideas about what is high strength). As a pipe smoker turned vaper I struggle to maintain my addiction.:D
I had that problem, I used to smoke Malboro Reds, so when I switched to e-cigs, I started on I think it was 1.4% nicotine. That just didn't cut it, and I couldn't put the thing down. Now use 1.8% and the odd puff now and then satisfies the cravings. I get through 30mls per week, which is £15. As opposed to around 200 cigs per week which was around £90!
As an aside, this thread has had me so interested, my battery just ran out on my puffer!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
And so, I'm breaking the law if I smoke when the postman arrives??? Incredulous.....:Eeek::Eeek:

If you dial 999 for an ambulance, your home then becomes a Paramedics workplace. So they may leave the building if you refuse to put your cigarette out. It was a brilliant cop out for a crew that doesn't want to be in the company of irritating patients. Its exactly the same with any professional person who may need to enter your home, tv repair guys, plumbers etc. Now if you invite a person of the worlds oldest profession (that'd be a prostitute to you & I) then could you have the obligatory post coital fag?? Perhaps you'd need to a an MP about that one, but please wait until they've taken the frilly apron & handcuffs off!!

Seriously as a lifelong non smoker who had grown up in a family of smokers, I find it deeply satisfying to tell smokers to get out of my face with their substitute nipples & their filthy polluting addiction. I put them firmly alongside addicts of drugs & alcohol.

A very satisfied Robert.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
One of the worst things you can do to devalue a motorhome is smoke or vape inside. You just cant ever completely clean it and it will always stink

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I find it deeply satisfying to tell smokers to get out of my face with their substitute nipples & their filthy polluting addiction. I put them firmly alongside addicts of drugs & alcohol.
That's a coincidence! (y) I find it deeply satisfying to tell non smokers to get out of my face with their winging self centred opinions and their filthy polluting Sprinter vans. I put them firmly alongside Scotsmen, who themselves are usually four sheets to the wind, cavorting around in a drunken stupor. :) You know, we could be brothers! (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Oh
That's a coincidence! (y) I find it deeply satisfying to tell non smokers to get out of my face with their winging self centred opinions and their filthy polluting Sprinter vans. I put them firmly alongside Scotsmen, who themselves are usually four sheets to the wind, cavorting around in a drunken stupor. :) You know, we could be brothers! (y)

My my, you really must watch your blood pressure Tootles otherwise your drug addiction may bring about a stroke or heart attack. You'd need to put your ciggie out & worse than that you may need to invite a Scotsman into your home, only to be told that your beyond help. Now how deeply satisfying would that be for the Scottish Paramedic???

If its any consolation, your my favourite Troll on here, & I always have a giggle at your posts, it makes me feel strangely smug & superior.

Best wishes...Robert x

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My my, you really must watch your blood pressure Tootles otherwise your drug addiction may bring about a stroke or heart attack.
I care not a jot. :):)
You'd need to put your ciggie out & worse than that you may need to invite a Scotsman into your home
The next will be the first. They tend to smell of whisky. I don't drink, but hey, I wouldn't post obnoxious stuff about people who enjoy a snifter or two. (y) Life is for enjoying, and not for being prudish. (y)
only to be told that your beyond help.
I think that happened when they said the cancer would spread. Big deal. Who wants to live forever. I certainly don't.:)
it makes me feel strangely smug & superior.
I think that's par for the coarse for an Ayrshire resident?? I often find it coupled to a strange lack of basic intelligence. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back