Smoke alarms.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kanberlingo, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo Read Only Funster

Hi all. I have a situation that I can't get my head round. Smoke alarms, & their function thereof.:Sad:
    All smoke alarms in our previous caravans & now motorhomes could be silenced when they activated, by pressing the "test button" Now I find that this no longer is the case.
    In my newish 2007 MH, the smoke alarm doesn't shut off when activated & the button is pressed, but continues until the bacon aroma is dissipated from it? The "shut off" syndrome also applied to the alarms in the house, but no longer, they too continue until they are ready, in their own time, to be quiet.

To take this one step further. When they used to shut off by pressing the test button, it never occured to me, but it does now, because I'm trying to figure out what's different,
    & that is. How come the very button one pressed to activate a test on the alarm, was also pressed to de-activate it:Eeek: Pressing it completes the circuit, yet pressing it again used to shut it off??? The mind boggles, well mine does over this query.

Cheers

BeeJay :thumb:

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I removed ours and replaced it with a CO alarm. Can't be removing the batteries every meal time.

I thought CO a good idea in case the boiler malfunctions. But smoke, well if we both choke to death it is the will of Allah when we are 3 feet from the door.

I became a token Muslim in Marrakesh, the only way to get across a road is to walk steadily and trust in Allah. It worked for the Moroccans and it worked for me.

3. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,
    None of the smoke detectors we have had over the years could/can be silenced by pressing the test button, or any other button for that matter, the only way they could be silenced was removing the batteries or the smoke.

But i do know that they make units that do have a silencing button that suspends the alarm for a matter of minutes and then automatically resets, thus removing the age old problem of people removing the batteries to affect the same solution.

Therefore I wonder if the ones you have had previously were of the 2nd type I describe as they are more costly than the original types but are far more safer, as the old problem was people removed the batteries and then forgot to put them back so had no protection, the ones with the silencing buttons normally have a sealed for life battery that can't be removed.

hope that makes sense

4. Kanberlingo

Hi Braunston,

Thanks for that & you are correct in saying that there is the type with a silencer. I must have been fortunate to have had these in the past.

Since my post, I've emailed EI Electronics in Co. Clare. www.eielectronics.com
    for clarification of the different types available, & there is a helluva selection.

They advise the model No. EI 100S or SN for my purpose, (which incorporates a silencer) & the outlets for them in the UK. So that's what will be going back in the MH.

BeeJay

5. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Did you know that you can get a free smoke alarm from your fire brigade.

6. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that's what we have .. with a 10year battery , well worth the extra few quid.. :thumb:

B & Q were selling them recently

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and health and safety state they must use a telescopic pole to fit them, not allowed to use ladders/steps anymore.:Doh:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i havent seen a 12v version but commercial kitchens normally have heat detectors, not smoke.

im not sure what internal voltage the control panel runs on but it could be 12v.

unfortunately they arent self contained.:cry:so a stand alone sounder would be needed as well.

not worth the hastle for a few minutes of bleeping and squarking.:Doh:

10. Braunston

Hi, Brisey

Did you buy yours from the eBay link only it sounds like a very good deal and I was just wondering what the dates were on them, if they still have the 10 years approximately to run then I may well purchase a couple

Thanks
    Braunston

11. J H

J H Funster

Kitchen smoke alarms have an overide button - if the toast is a bit dark and the alarm goes off then press the button and it stops - thats what we have in our van :BigGrin:

GJH always burns the toast :Rofl1:

12. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We didn't buy ours from the link I have posted, we purchased ours a year or so ago.
    If I remember correctly, you have to pull out a battery activation strip before use.
    As Jim has said they are well worth the extra cost.
    I also believe that Kidde make a combined smoke and carbon monoxide detector which may be of interest.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's also worth fitting smoke detector(s) in any locker, cupboard or garage that houses electrical equipment .. I have two fitted in belly lockers, one in the mains locker where the tranny and 230/110v dist boxes are, the other in a locker that houses the chassis 12v electrics.

14. Kanberlingo

Sainsburys first thing this morning. EI 100S with silencer inc battery, £6.99 Sorted.

Personally, I'd have thought that a silencer should be incorporated in all smoke alarms, that way the facility is there if needed, & you don't end up buying the wrong type, ie wafting away the burnt bacon smoke, as the 85 decibels blast in your ear. :Rofl1:

BeeJay

15. Braunston

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up, I will have a look in our local Sainsbury's later today,

Hi, Again I have just been checking the Ei100S and it appears it has a removable battery is that correct.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  16. Kanberlingo

Yup. 9v lasts for ever. Those on line from the link posted, are a good buy as Kidde are a good make. But P&P plus waiting for del. made Sainsburys a better deal.

PS Don't be tempted to install a rechargeable battery in any smoke alarm.:thumbdown:

BeeJay

17. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

a rechargeable 9 volt battery is 8.4 volts, so that's why it wont work (rechargeable nicads and ni-mh batts are multiples of 1.2 volts, dry cells are 1.5 volts)

kiddie do indeed to a combined smoke and co2 detector, but when i emailed them about it, i was told not suitable for a motorhome as the smoke alarm part has not silence feature, they recomended seperates... also pointing out the co2 sensor has a live of about 5 years, the smoke alarms 10 years, so the combined unit i'd be 'wasting' half the smoke alarms life when i had to throw it out due to the co2 part failing.