Smoke Alarms…

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by JackieP, Jul 20, 2016.

1. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I'm looking for a new one.

I had to take down the last one as I couldn't bear the noise that went off just about every time I went to cook. It was so sensitive that even the hound's fart seemed to set it off.

What I'd really like is a model that has a hush feature that I can use BEFORE it starts off wailing but I'm struggling to find one.

I'm thinking that perhaps a photoelectric sensor model might be better? They don't seem to be quite so sensitive and they last for ten years so I won't be woken up at 3am to change the batteries.

What do you use and have you found one that has a disable button before you start cooking rather than after it begins it's banshee howl?

2. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

The one in our escape was like that, we used to cover it with a t.towel when cooking, not good practice i know.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trophychap

trophychap Funster

We had one in our Bessacar like that it used to go off every time we lit the grill, I used to take it off the wall and put it on the drivers seat until we had finished doing the toast!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

That seems about right. The National Union of Firefighters have issued a recent statement on the perils of making toast. (y)
    Also, the National Confederation of Toastmakers and Allied Trades have come out strongly in support of a toast-proof smoke alarm, one that would not put those who refrain from making toast in no peril from grilled or fried bacon fires. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. JackieP

JackieP Funster

This all sounds very familiar….

I've been scouring old motorhome/caravan threads this morning and have found a few folks saying that there's no need for a smoke alarm as, if there's a fire, CO2 will be created and the CO2 alarm will be activated.

Is this accurate?

6. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I use the fire angel range. Slim, easy to fit and lasts for 10yrs. or 4 months if it falls off the ceiling after a very bumpy road[​IMG]:rolleyes:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. pyro

pyro Funster

By the time the smoke has triggered the CO detection, I think you might already be to far gone to hear it. (note: CO is not CO2, the former is a killer, the latter is naturally occurring))

And is it worth cutting corners on something as important?

You can now get combined photoelectric smoke detection and combined carbon monoxide (CO) detectors on Amazon

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. JackieP

JackieP Funster

I had a feeling that was the case. I already have a CO2 alarm and I'm looking at this one on Amazon…

But what I REALLY want is one with a button that I can push before I start cooking. Do they exist?

9. JackieP

JackieP Funster

The link isn't showing… but it's the
    X-Sense SD10A 10-Year Extended Battery Life Smoke Alarm Fire Smoke Detector with Photoelectric Sensor

10. pyro

pyro Funster

The link showed.

The photoelectric detector is less likely to suffer false triggers. Personally I would replace with a combined CO/Smoke unit, the sensors in CO units reportedly have a limited lifespan.

As for disabling whilst you toast, it probably won't be necessary with the photoelectric detector

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Thank you Pyro. From what I've read it does seem that the photoelectric models are less sensitive.

12. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I don't know why my link went to the US version of Amazon,:rolleyes: but here is the model for the "Toast" version of the Fire Angel Range.
    FireAngel ST-622R Thermoptek Smoke Alarm

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I replaced my silencable one with a Fireangel. It has a silence button but I've not needed to use it. No need to worry about the battery either, lasts 10 years and then just buy another detector.

14. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Naaa, when ours comes on the bacons ready, I like it crispy. ;):LOL:

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

NO! It isn't accurate! You may have a carbon monoxide alarm (CO) but you certainly won't have a CO2 alarm because CO2 is carbon dioxide and that is present in the air all the time.

I suggest get a new smoke alarm and fit it away from the kitchen.

And try not to burn the toast! :)

We have a smoke alarm in our van and it has only gone off once or twice and then only because something was being burnt in the kitchen. They shouldn't go off every time you cook.

• Like Like x 1