Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder since it works on 14v whether it would work on 12.7/12.8v (ish) direct from a hab battery ??
I think I`ll try that.

I`ll have a dig around in my box of old leads and try and find a cable with a jack plug that fits the Nest and wire it to the hab battery, with a 10 amp fuse
Is 10 amp sufficient ?

Can I be certain the + will go to centre of jack plug ?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I think I`ll try that.

I`ll have a dig around in my box of old leads and try and find a cable with a jack plug that fits the Nest and wire it to the hab battery, with a 10 amp fuse
Is 10 amp sufficient ?

15watts at 12volts is only just over 1amp so maybe a 5amp fuse?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Just found this, seems to confirm 12v will work and that the central connection is the positive đź‘Ť
Screenshot_20210102-225633.png

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Re inverters.
Not all modified inverters are the same. Most times you get what you pay for and it's even more a fact when buying pure sinewave.
I had a 1000w Ring modified sinewave inverter and it would run my small microwave just fine, where many cheapo inverters wouldn't.
Having said that I would only recommend a good pure sinewave inverter these days as electronic devices are less well built and more sensitive to non perfect sinewave supplies and can be damaged easily.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Just found this, seems to confirm 12v will work and that the central connection is the positive đź‘Ť
View attachment 453070
Good news.
It saves me from testing 11v & up on mine 🤪
Mrskevenh made a variable DC power supply as part of her 1st year electronics apprenticeship.
I did that same apprenticeship but I didn’t make one of those. 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Good news.
It saves me from testing 11v & up on mine 🤪
Mrskevenh made a variable DC power supply as part of her 1st year electronics apprenticeship.
I did that same apprenticeship but I didn’t make one of those. 🤔
Let us know how you get on, my son has one lying around he doesn't use, I'll earmarked for my van if it works đź‘Ť

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I think I`ll try that.

Is 10 amp sufficient ?

Any luck? Did it work?

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Any luck? Did it work?

No not yet, work got in the way, I`ll do it tomorrow
Like the guy who`s post you copied above I couldn`t find a jack that would fit the nest mini even though they appear identical.
So tomorrow I`ll butcher the original nest lead and having established the + I`ll solder the connections and connect to the leisure battery.
I just hope there are no essential Google gizmo electronics in the 230v plug I`m disconnecting :(

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Itsmcb

Well I carefully stripped off the insulation from the Nest Mini power lead after measuring the voltage at 14v.
There is an insulated positive inner strand with the negative braided wire wrapped around this, then the outer insulation.
So not quite what I`d expected.
The 230v plug ouput is marked up at 14v and indicates the inner strand is positive which I checked.
I soldered connections on then wired to the 12v leisure batteries and everything works well (y) despite the difference in voltage.
I was on hookup whilst doing this so 13+ volts was showing and I will have to see if it continues to work when the volts drop to 12.2v ish
But so far so good
I think the Nest will be quite handy in the van whilst away

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Itsmcb

Well I carefully stripped off the insulation from the Nest Mini power lead after measuring the voltage at 14v.
There is an insulated positive inner strand with the negative braided wire wrapped around this, then the outer insulation.
The 230v plug ouput is marked up at 14v and indicates the inner strand is positive which I checked.
I soldered connections on then wired to the 12v leisure batteries and everything works well (y) despite the difference in voltage.
I was on hookup whilst doing this so 13+ volts was showing and I will have to see if it continues to work when the volts drop to 12.2v ish
But so far so good
Excellent news. I have a little 12v socket near my TV which isn't in use. Ill warm up my soldering iron đź‘Ť.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Itsmcb

But so far so good
Before I take out the soldering iron can I ask how the nest performed when the voltage dropped when not on EHU. Nothing like reactivating a thread dormant for 3 years!

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Before I take out the soldering iron can I ask how the nest performed when the voltage dropped when not on EHU. Nothing like reactivating a thread dormant for 3 years!
It performs just fine, even when the battery has been depleted after a few days off grid.
The google nest is a really useful tool to have in the motorhome, a morning fix of radio 4 over breakfast to catch up on events is recommended (y)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
It performs just fine, even when the battery has been depleted after a few days off grid.
The google nest is a really useful tool to have in the motorhome, a morning fix of radio 4 over breakfast to catch up on events is recommended (y)
Mighty....thanks. Project for the weekend sorted!

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
Can I ask ,do you need , standalone wifi in your motorhome, or can you hotspot off your phone?

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Can I ask ,do you need , standalone wifi in your motorhome, or can you hotspot off your phone?
You can run most things by using the hotspot on the phone but it does tend to hammer the battery and my previous phone used to get quite hot when streaming TV.
Depends on your usage but for most a mifi or router with a data sim is a better option.

Edit ,Just realised what thread this is :doh:
For a smart speaker I think it would need to be connected to a dedicated mifi

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
I use a mifi device but importantly I have multiple SSIDs at home where I part the camper and the SSID on the mifi is the same as one of these home SSIDs so anything I put onto the camper network works at home always. Handy for monitoring cameras etc. Will also be useful for Nest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back