smart phone or dongle

Discussion in 'Computers' started by camper, Aug 29, 2012.

1. camper

camper Read Only Funster

Can anyone advise me whether I'd be better with a smartphone or a dongle for my pc.
    I don't make lots of calls -maybe 10 texts a week but I do like the idea of being able to communicate by email when I travel and I like the access to maps on my laptop.I know I can download maps but I prefer things to be interactive.
    Is this enough info?

2. pvw10

pvw10 Read Only Funster

iphone everytime for me.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I used a phone for many years, going back to when I had a Psion 5MX over 10 years ago. Either cable attached or using infra red/bluetooth, whatever the devices were capable of.

When dongles came out we got one but since moved to MiFi as we sometimes use two devices at a time.

One consideration with phones is whether your contract allows tethering.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Interactive maps scare me to death, you wouldn't like the cost on the continent.

In UK ?

I think a dongle might give a better bandwidth, all it has to do is serve data.

And then things get blurred, a good smartphone is a PC.

I have a smartphone and MiFi. One works in some regions, the other in others, being on O2 and Voda.

Cost, the MiFi was £52 unlocked off ebay. A dongle would be a bit cheaper but isn't so flexible.

5. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I found that if i bought a French sim card i could not type into a mifi unit a code number to unlock it.
    I ended up using my Vodaphone acc sim in my phone and if i paid a extra £3 per day i got a connection anywhere in euro land and could use my phone as here without a shock :Eeek:
    The phone can be a wifi hotspot for a laptop ect too

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Me too and I have Tethering included in my Orange contract so I can connect my Ipad or laptop to the internet through it. Best of both worlds.

In Europe I buy the 30mb per day bundle and only get charged £3 on the days I use it

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

I recently changed from a dongle to using my smartphone (HTC desire)....MUCH better,......quicker, cheaper and using bluetooth, no need for wires, wouldnt go back.:thumb:

8. Paramotormanal

Paramotormanal Read Only Funster

I have to agree with the first reply a smartphone is a must for me.

9. Techno

Having put off getting an iphone just because of the negative hype and buying an android that I was initially happy with but shortlived I finally got on the right path.
    Had my 4s 11 months now and I wouldn't swap it for anything except perhaps a 5.
    Everytime I use it is complete satisfaction.

• Like Like x 2
  10. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Fior me too it is I Phone all the way although I do have 3 dongle for visiting the UK because free wifi is much more difficult to find there !!

11. Techno

All McDonalds are free and very many pubs and shops use cloud O2 free, all you need do is register to log in.
    Also if you buy a Fonera and install it at home you'll gain access to all the very many Fon sites in UK
    https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/G...8C6B1944185E2BB41B.BillingCluster?language=en

https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/G...8C6B1944185E2BB41B.BillingCluster?language=fr

http://maps.fon.com/fr

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  12. tsrwright

tsrwright Read Only Funster

We travel 3 months in UK and Europe each year with 2 x iPhone, 2 x iPad and 2 x laptop.

We got a Huewai (sp?) MiFi (I think they call it) which charges off the laptop or the van 240/12V and has a battery so we can take it anywhere. Can plug into the USB ports but basically it is wireless and supports up to five devices at once (I think) Normally it is just Velcroed to a rooflight and connected to 12V.

With this set-up any of the devices we have can be connected at will so it is just like having a wireless network at home. It mainly uses the 3G network which is ok for ordinary work and doubtless 4G willl be better.

You need to have a sim card and data account with a provider - in our case 3 and over the past 12 months reception has become quite good.

Thing is, and I don't know how this applies to other devices, my wife and I can sit connected at the same time with no problem. Donlt think you can do this without having a dongle each which probably you couldnlt connect to an iPad.

I suppose for Europe we would just buy a local sim card.

13. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

My Samsung SII has almost completely replaced my laptop with dongle in its usefulness.

Wouldn't touch an Apple product with a 10 foot bargepole.

14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

why

Just wondering why?

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'll bet the same as me, you pay Apple top money for a good product then they tell you just what you can do with it.

Android, you pay from cheap to top money and do what the hell you want with it. So much variety.

Apple is too much of a cult thing, a triumph of marketing, ney brain washing from the master control freak.

• Like Like x 1
  16. buttons

buttons Funster

And now I have downloaded all of the relevant US maps onto my S2 using Nav Free I will be using it as my sat nav while in the US too. No WiFi or data required. Can you do that with an iphone.:thumb:

17. Techno

Samsung only copy apple hence being sued for gazillions :Rofl1:

apple isnt plastic junk either :thumb:

18. Techno

I ask myself why when I have a tomtom 1005 with world maps that has a much more powerful GPS receiver and therefore less likely to lose where you are when it's important

19. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Yes, the tomtom app does not need a data connection or wifi to operate fully. However, I would prefer to use my tomtom 1005 sat nav as it has a larger screen that a phone and it made for the job although I do find the tomtom app on the phone ideal if walking around, particularly in a city.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  20. jaygee

jaygee Funster

i've got tomtom on my ipad. We're travelling Europe for 3 months and found this to be invaluable. You can access a general map of any area and zoom in to see all smaller roads or zoom out for bigger picture. It is always up to date (at no extra cost as oit's an app!) and you don't need internet connection to view it. It's also on my iphone so good if we are out & about.
    I've got an iphone on 3 with "the one" package which gives intenet tethering to up to 5 devices at any one time. OK if you have got a signal but not allowed to tether when you are abroad - only in UK!
    Have found that internet connection has been quite readilly avaliable wherever we've been, on campsites, in bars or in Macdonalds - all free!