small step up transformer

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by IanH, Dec 5, 2010.

1. IanH

IanH Read Only Funster

I need to fit a tv in the bedroom of our 5er

We have a 240v 19inch LCD with freeview that we can use but everthing is now 110v sockets.

Have anyone used a small 110v to 240v transformer the type that you can get off ebay bout £12 to run a tv

Other option is to buy a 12v LCD tv but i need to keep costs down

Ian

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Provided the transformer is rated for continuous use and is the correct wattage .. I see no reason why not. Allow 25% - 50% extra wattage when sizing .. but do you not have any 230v sockets in the van ?
    If so, I would suggest it's better idea to install a 230v socket, you could run a spur from the nearest one to the bedroom.

3. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

If you already have 12 volt there might we worth getting a normal TV ( Tesco / Argos ) that runs on 12v through a 240 v stabilised box and getting a 12v stabilised power supply unit from Maplins or using one of the 12v mini inverters that run off 12 volt

4. algill

algill Funster

Yes, we bought one of these off ebay 3 years ago to run the bedside lamp in our 5er. It's been great. If you need to know which brand it is etc I'll search for the info, I've probably got it somewhere.

Jim's right in that you need to make sure you get one that's above the wattage you need.

Gill