Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I know it's nothing to do with motorhomes, but I've been irritated by my slow running, 10-year old Windows laptop for a while. It' running Windows 10 and isn't used for much other than email/browsing. Anyway, I've replaced the original hard drive with a £30 SSD drive (240Gb) from that well-known on-line retailer. What a difference! It runs much faster and has acquired a new lease of life. For anyone else considering replacing an old laptop, consider upgrading the HDD. Not a lot of money and it can make a big difference to performance. There are some YouTube videos to assist.
By the way, don't be fooled by the Curry's "Minimum £100 trade-in" when buying a new lap top. Tried that and they only offered me £30.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In addition to an SSD upgrade if it's also capable of taking additional \ larger memory it can also be a worthwhile upgrade.(y)

OP
OP
Korgrocker

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
In addition to an SSD upgrade if it's also capable of taking additional \ larger memory it can also be a worthwhile upgrade.(y)
I thought of that - I have 4Gb fitted (2x2Gb). Another £40 or so for a couple of 4Gb modules. Wait till I get paid next month :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Be a little careful with adding memory. Check your motherboard can accommodate more than the current 4 gig and if it can it would also be worth checking that the processor is a 64 bit processor.

In essence if the processor is only 32 bit there is no point in having more than 4 gig of memory.

If you have a 64 but processor and can increase the memory make sure your windows version is 64 bit.

If you know all this please accept my apologies for teaching granny to 'suck eggs'!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I thought of that - I have 4Gb fitted (2x2Gb). Another £40 or so for a couple of 4Gb modules. Wait till I get paid next month :)
Just make sure the laptop is capable of taking modules up to that size \ speed first and is 64bit. Guessing at DDR3?

Edit, just as @clanjones says(y)

OP
OP
Korgrocker

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Be a little careful with adding memory. Check your motherboard can accommodate more than the current 4 gig and if it can it would also be worth checking that the processor is a 64 bit processor.

In essence if the processor is only 32 bit there is no point in having more than 4 gig of memory.

If you have a 64 but processor and can increase the memory make sure your windows version is 64 bit.

If you know all this please accept my apologies for teaching granny to 'suck eggs'!
The processor is 64 bit, running Windows 10 Pro (64bit) and there are 2x2Gb DDR3 memory modules installed at the moment. But because I'm only using it for light duties I don't think I would much benefit from more RAM. My main machine is a MAC desktop, so I use that for more power hungry stuff. The PC is fine for taking in motorhome checking emails etc. - it's not worth much if it breaks/disappears.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Hi I’m a Microsoft certified technician and the advice given by clanjones is bang on the money, good advice , in my experience, the slowdown is usually virus , or malware, but if your antivirus is and malware protection is UP TO DATE , it should catch most attacks , most off the virus / spyware I have dealt with , was because the protection hasn’t been updated or even expired

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back