Slovenia info please (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
We are hoping to spend July / August in the country and then drop down into Croatia but I wonder if someone could give me steer of a few things ?

Where do you purchase the DarsGo unit” box (I am over 3.5t) ? is it really required or is it easy enough to avoid the toll roads ?

What can I expect at the the Italy / Slovenia border - Passport stamping , fridge / food checks etc ?

Is there really enough to see and do in Slovenia for a month or so ?

Many thanks in advance

Sep 20, 2015
Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R
Exp
since 2014
If you enter Slovenia, from Italy, via the motorway system then the first services will have an outlet to obtain a DarsGo box. It is very easy to explore Slovenia without using their motorways, you just need to allow little more time. Because Slovenia is a Schengen country the borders between other Schengen countries is completely open without controls.
The border with Croatia, until Croatia becomes a Schengen country, is controlled for immigration purposes and your passport will be, or should be, stamped by both countries border guards. They are not interested with customs controls because of the single market.
Re things to do in Slovenia see this link:-
Slovenia is a very beautiful country and even though it is small by European standard it is well worth visiting.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We have just come back from Croatia and went via Slovenia.
Went from Austria to Slovenia non toll then decided to get a DarsGo to get to Croatia, €80 later and about 20 miles on a smash up closed the main toll road and we were directed across county by the SatNav☹️☹️
Seems expensive compared to other countries and you can go non toll but the road we went on was all through little town and not enjoyable.

The border at Croatia is just a passport check and then pay for the toll, we payed €3 ,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are hoping to spend July / August in the country and then drop down into Croatia but I wonder if someone could give me steer of a few things ?

Where do you purchase the DarsGo unit” box (I am over 3.5t) ? is it really required or is it easy enough to avoid the toll roads ?

What can I expect at the the Italy / Slovenia border - Passport stamping , fridge / food checks etc ?

Many thanks in advance
Different people have different opinions about Slovenia. We spent 2 days there on our way to Croatia and I'm sure that there must be more to see but imho, there are many other places which are far more interesting to spend a month in; two days was enough for us. We much preferred Croatia and, Bosnia and Herzegovina.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

Many thanks in advance
Unless you need to cross Slovenia quickly by motorway there is really no need to get a DarsGo box.

As to whether there ‘is really enough to see and do in Slovenia for a month or so’, it depends on the sort of things you like seeing and doing. :Smile: We enjoy walking and watching wildlife, as well as visiting castles and old towns, so there is plenty in Slovenia to keep us happy. We were even lucky enough to see beavers swimming and interacting only a few yards away from us. David took a video of them on his phone - I keep saying to him that he should post it on Fun. There are also brown bear watching trips that you can go on - something I’d like to do in the future.

The ’52 Places in Slovenia’ website that Mr David linked to is good for finding more out of the way places. So far John Bills has only written about 34 places but hopefully there will be more soon.

Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
There’s lots of Slovenia info on my Polarsteps…we visited in 2019 and 2020. Beautiful country and lots to see and do. Message if you want my account details

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Ljubljana is an amazing city to visit - largely pedestrianised, very attractive, and friendly. We really enjoyed Slovenia as a whole - far preferred Lake Bohinj to the more popular Lake Bled.
If you do get a DarsGo box, make sure to check the details of registration etc - we only needed a vignette, but the garage we bought it from mixed up a 0 with a O in the reg no - when we eventually got home there was a penalty charge on the mat, which we successfully appealed.

RobPullen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 707
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020 - previously in campers
Only thing I would add to travelling from Slovenia to Croatia off the motorways is be prepared for some narrow, steep and winding roads. No worse than places in the Alps or Pyrenees and many other European small village areas though. We were only there a short time but loved the countryside.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Only thing I would add to travelling from Slovenia to Croatia off the motorways is be prepared for some narrow, steep and winding roads. No worse than places in the Alps or Pyrenees and many other European small village areas though. We were only there a short time but loved the countryside.
Spot on👍👍

We traversed Slovenia to Croatia and back without dars box, and travelled on some, shall we say interesting roads :whistle2:
The inland roads of Croatia aren’t anything to shout about either😬😬

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Ljubljana is an amazing city to visit - largely pedestrianised, very attractive, and friendly. We really enjoyed Slovenia as a whole - far preferred Lake Bohinj to the more popular Lake Bled.
If you do get a DarsGo box, make sure to check the details of registration etc - we only needed a vignette, but the garage we bought it from mixed up a 0 with a O in the reg no - when we eventually got home there was a penalty charge on the mat, which we successfully appealed.
Can I ask - Is the Dars Go box like the Austrian one .You pay up front when you enter and return it when you leave . Can I also ask where did you stay when you visited Ljubljana , am struggling to find a safe site ?
Cheers.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well will be traversing through Slovenia on our way to Croatia later this month and in preparation I registered on the Darsgo website, sent details of my V5 and COC and printed out a barcode for me to take and collect from the first service station across the border.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
When we went Slovenia to Croatia I didn’t fancy non toll so went to the service station and the lady gave me a DarsGo, asked what route we were going then said €80
Assume if you change route you have to go into another service station and pay extra?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I assume it’s similar to the Austrian GoBox where you load money into the box. Maybe she asked you which route to ensure the €80 was enough to cover the toll charges?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Can I ask - Is the Dars Go box like the Austrian one .You pay up front when you enter and return it when you leave . Can I also ask where did you stay when you visited Ljubljana , am struggling to find a safe site ?
Cheers.
Sorry, when we went our van was under 3500kg, so just got a vignette, so no idea.
We stayed at https://www.ljubljanaresort.si/camping-info-en - outskirts of city but easy bus ride into centre. Site was fine, but it was 2015, so things may have changed?

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
The Austrian and Slovenian boxes are both working on the same principal. we used motorways in both Austria and Slovenia in the past three months. The Dars box for Slovenia is available at the first services in Slovenia. The Austrian box is available at services in Germany.
We travelled North to South in Slovenia and we put 50 euros on the box, including the 4.99 euro rental. On leaving Slovenia for Italy we stopped at the last services listed and the took back the box and they gave us a Certificate of return. We were unable to get our money back at that time as none of our cards had the Iban details on them. We have since by email to Dars received back 22.56 euros which is minus their admin fee of 6 euros. So a total of 27.44 euros spent. Easy to do once you have done in once. The V5 and Euro rating certificate are all you need.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The Austrian and Slovenian boxes are both working on the same principal. we used motorways in both Austria and Slovenia in the past three months. The Dars box for Slovenia is available at the first services in Slovenia. The Austrian box is available at services in Germany.
We travelled North to South in Slovenia and we put 50 euros on the box, including the 4.99 euro rental. On leaving Slovenia for Italy we stopped at the last services listed and the took back the box and they gave us a Certificate of return. We were unable to get our money back at that time as none of our cards had the Iban details on them. We have since by email to Dars received back 22.56 euros which is minus their admin fee of 6 euros. So a total of 27.44 euros spent. Easy to do once you have done in once. The V5 and Euro rating certificate are all you need.
Oops, still have mine on the screen😁😁
Didn’t go far on it as toll road shut due to accident so we were diverted across country🤬🤬

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back