Slightly Fed Up

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by supabrigg, Jul 18, 2015.

1. supabrigg

supabrigg Funster

Just thought I would let folk know how my luck is these days, test on bus said slight play on front wheel bearings but only same as last year.So as I am going to Europe soon shall I have them done or risk it.With my recent run of luck I decide to have them done as if they went on holiday i.d feel a right idiot.460 pounds spent and we are off, 6 miles from dover and guess what? RAC out and you ve guessed right yes bearing gone, police arrive and because rac can.t give a time to move me police call there people who still take 1.45 to move me and charge me 150 pounds to go 6 miles.Brought 220 miles home next morning so instead ofTournai today it s Tesco to stock backup. Still its only money and missed holiday and I suppose I could have stayed there and had it fixed but when you are in this situation you can t think clearly and I just wanted the people who did them to make it right so opted for home.Thanks for listening, going to the pub cheers mick

• Like Like x 5
  2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

So sorry to hear this. I hope you give the people who are supposed to have done the repair hell. They should refund ALL your costs including your disappointment at the loss of your holiday.

Their mess up could have resulted in a serious accident.

If you get no joy then name and shame.

• Like Like x 4
  3. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

They fitted New bearings and one went?
    Sounds a bit iffy !
    Could it be they just tried to adjust them and too tight .or not replaced locking nut correctly ?
    Enjoy your pint (y)

• Like Like x 5
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

That's sounds tough, but now we need more info, I guess you do too

Did the repairers fit original parts or compatibles

It shouldn't really be the repairers fault unless he has fitted them badly or not fitted new just told you he has

Hope you get it sorted though and soon enough to get going again :)(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Hope you get it sorted supabrigg, the garage have some explaining to do.

6. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

Sorry to hear of your woes. No way should new bearings fail so quickly???!!!..... I'm with Jollyrodger on this....hope you get satisfaction.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Sods Law??

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dont forget to send your recovery invoice to your bd company for reimbursement.
    the police wanted you moved and they couldnt oblige in the timescale....not your fault.

• Like Like x 3
  9. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

factored parts are always a gamble as far as front wheel bearings are concerned but how are you to know what the garage has fitted. It once happened to me and apart from the inconvenience they were replaced F.O.C. It is common knowledge that pre X250's could be troublesome and Fiat changed the specification.

10. supabrigg

supabrigg Funster

thanks for all replies, chap who did job has serviced and repaired all my vehicles work and leisure and I ve always trusted him and he has always gone the extra mile to keep my work vans on the road.I will keep you all informed in case it helps someone avoid same happening to someone else.cheers mick

• Like Like x 1
  11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Sorry to hear your bad luck, something similar almost happened to my 2004 Ducato... heard an occasional squeak from the brakes, took the van in for a service and noticed black streaks on a wheel......... wheel was too hot to touch.

No doubt the bearing would have failed very soon, had to have new calipers and a bearing....... lucky I spotted it

The problem with most MHs is lack of use, that's what I put the problem down to

12. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Oh heck hope you get it sorted, talk about Murphys Law.

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sounds like some of my luck has rubbed off on you :(

If the wagon is either a Fiat or Pug, the front wheel bearings are always a tad loose.. In fact the MOT tolerance for them is quite a lot..

If the failed bearing was fitted by a garage I would suggest you tell them about it and say you are taking it to another garage to get a report.
    If the report comes back with anything iffy you should be able to get all costs and compensation from the original garage

• Like Like x 1
  14. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Thank you very much for pointing out potential problems. I am only sorry it had to happen. Although I appreciate your thread, I can hardly put 'Like'.
    Regarding responsibility for the failed part, there is only so much effort worth putting into sorting it out, without simply adding to your pain, for you trust the garage and are presumably a valued customer. Parts can fail! Fitters can make mistakes! I do feel sad that some problems can be chased to death, nobody really winning, while I also accept that there are occasions when the guilty should stand up and pay. This seems to fall into the first category, you lose but the part is now replaced and nobody really knows where the fault lay.
    Alan