Sliding Window Security.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by cydersyd, Apr 28, 2012.

1. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

The sliding window on my Rimor 728 is configured with a fixed section and a sliding section, the sliding section is on the outside of the van!:Doh: This would allow anyone to force this section open by breaking or bending the perspex as it is held only by a very flimsy squeeze type catch on the inside.

I am unable to block the movement of this section because it is on the outside.
    The only thing I can think of to prevent access when opened is a portable magnetic alarm fitted to the inside of the window and the window frame.

This is clearly a design fault:Eek!: but has anyone any better ideas?

Any observations would be welcome.

The window is a Seitze S4 style.

2. aba

aba

i too would be interested in this as i have one the same although i do need a ladder to reach mine from outside

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you could adapt sliding patio door locks to fit or a simple solution is to cut a piece of wood or aluminium that will wedge between the closed window side and the latch mechanism

4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

drop a strip of wood in the channel

5. grumpybob

grumpybob Funster

window

Wont work sliding track is on the outside

6. B-well

B-well Funster

Can you just not change the glass tracks by swapping them ?

7. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Buy a 6mm diameter .......or similar length of aluminium rod and drop it into the channel.........it will drop right inside and not be easy to see it will stop the window from sliding open .

Its a bad design decision.....but lets face it anyone determined is going to get in any motorhome window or skylight with a crowbar.

barry

8. cloud watcher

cloud watcher Read Only Funster

We purchased at a show a piece of aluminium angle which was pre-drilled to fit the catch and which has a screw on second side which prevents catch from operating.

Expensive for what it is composed of, but ready made and no faffing around.

Now more concerned with other windows, but cannot cover all possible entry methods, rely upon Alarm ringing my phone to alert me.

Joyce

9. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Thanks Cloud Watcher, does your aluminium device have a name or can you remember the stall holder at the show you went to?

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Personally I would not bother - they are all the same :Doh:plastic windows and catches are no match for a screwdriver :Doh:--If you are that worried/concerned you can easy drill through the track and self tap a screw into the window edge to stop the window sliding.Down side to this is you have to remove the screw every time you want to open the window.Bear in mind scroats do not care about damage to your van and as such I could get into any vehicle in well under 30secs
    terry

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you DO do this drill the upper track so as to avoid the possibility of water ingress

12. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Thanks Terry, I accept what you say but "er indoors" has picked up on it.
    The van is well alarmed and tracked so losing it isn't a problem but if some scroat gets in while madam is shopping that will be the end of our travels.

13. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin: Try telling her a hammer blow to the side window would only take a second :Wink:people can take security too far-A nice big sticker telling anyone it has alarm and tracker fitted may be the better option.That way they will leave your van and go to the next one
    terry

14. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

Thanks Jaws, went to check out your idea but access to the track is not possible from the inside of the van. As previously mentioned the sliding section is on the outside:Doh: Such a stupid design.

15. Terry

Terry Funster

I was thinking more of drilling from the outside in so that once screwed up it would not interfere with the blinds :Doh::Wink:Also into the bottom track as it would help drainage :BigGrin::cry:
    terry

16. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Spot on - A good alarm and put any valuables ot of site - I pull down a couple of blinds (not all) as well

17. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Cydersyd,

We use a small spring loaded net curtain rail, which I took apart, and cut to fit and reassembled, leaving enough length for compression into the space between the window catch, and the static window edge frame, as seen in the image provided below.
    See also, the same principle used on the larger front sliding window. You might have to zoom in to view them

Cheers,

Jock.

Attached Files:

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

try your local pet shop for sliding glass locks as used on vivariums, quite cheap and will do the job. as already said IF the sliding glass is on the INSIDE which I know yours is not then a simple length of wood dropped in the track will stop it being opened. best of luck

• Like Like x 1