Ski trip? (2 Viewers)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
The post earlier has got me thinking about the coming ski season. Anyone in the planning stages at the moment?

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
The post earlier has got me thinking about the coming ski season. Anyone in the planning stages at the moment?
Had an email from Camping Jungfrau about staying over winter, would love a trip down after Xmas for the New Year but not sure how the roads are that time of year. Snow,ice and
7.5t and near 9m long it’s not an ideal combination 😁😁

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
on our recent trip into mainland europe, we didnt plan particularly well and ended up at a ski aire in Lichtenstein ....... a bit of a drive up into the mountains, plenty of space though right net to the ski lifts.

is skiing in Lichtenstein affordable/practical/popular?

my daughter keeps hinting that they might need to borrow the motorhome for a ski trip ... i keep telling her to sod off, and not very politely .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
The roads up to Lauterbrunnen will be fine.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Had an email from Camping Jungfrau about staying over winter, would love a trip down after Xmas for the New Year but not sure how the roads are that time of year. Snow,ice and

If it snows we just clean it off the road here, it’s not the Uk 🫣

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When my 40ft coach's did Ski work though the winters, we rarely had any problems on the main routes.
There were roads where snow chains HAD to be fitted but these were usual at the resorts, going up the mountains.
Remember to have a couple of practices with the snow chains before you go. 👍

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
We have stayed at Camping Wieshof, St Johann im Pongau. The ski bus stops just outside the campsite. Shower rooms immaculate, lovely on-site traditional Austrian restaurant, heated boot racks, laundry room, washing up room, metered electricity, 10 minute walk to Lidl.
We bought snow chains, but didn’t need to use them. Typical Austrian roads, kept clear of snow.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are flying to La Plagne early Jan then our usual Moho trip to Les Deux Alpes in March. No longer tied to school holidays…..woo hoo. We will be staying in our usual campsite in Venosc, just below the resort. Didn’t fancy the drive in January but the roads are alway clear in March so no issue.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We have stayed at Camping Wieshof, St Johann im Pongau. The ski bus stops just outside the campsite. Shower rooms immaculate, lovely on-site traditional Austrian restaurant, heated boot racks, laundry room, washing up room, metered electricity, 10 minute walk to Lidl.
We bought snow chains, but didn’t need to use them. Typical Austrian roads, kept clear of snow.

Many years ago, I took about 40 children from a school in Essex to a Tyrolean hotel halfway up one of the ski runs somewhere near St Johann im Pongau for a half term 7day holiday.
When we arrived, there was not a flake to be seen. The countryside was bare & devoid of any snow.
After dinner, I sat, well into the night, with the teachers trying to decide where to go.
We decided on Saltzburg, Munich + 'Sound of Music sites' and much more.
Off to bed we went!

Next morning, we woke up to a foot of snow and it snowed, constantly, for the rest of the week, hooray!

I had a week of skiing and was enjoying it so much + being able to ski straight from the hotel, the coach wasn't needed and, except for starting it daily, it required no attention.

Until, that is, the day before departure.
It had been sitting in the hotel carpark, facing the wrong way and surrounded by 6 ft of snow, the narrow road down to the town was the same, what could we do?
The hotel owner contacted a farmer and the carpark was cleared allowing me to turn the coach around and the farmer snow ploughed the lane.
Next morning with the twisting lane cleared of snow but icy, it was decided that, because the coach had an automatic gearbox, it was too dangerous to transport the children down the icy lane in the coach, so most skied down.

We hooked the tractor to the rear of the coach, put it in reverse on tick-over and with the tractor acting as anchor, slowly travelled down the mountain by gravity .
A couple of hairy moments when the engine stalled and I lost power steering but we made it.

I returned to the hotel many times after that, and because the owner thought I must be lucky having brought the snow, I was never allowed to forget it and was treated like a king.

Those were the days! 😆

Edit: Thinking about it, it may have been a mountain near St Johann in Tirol? 🤔

Oct 25, 2022
Derventio, in the Kingdom of Mercia
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SL
Exp
Since 2018
Many years ago, I took about 40 children from a school in Essex to a Tyrolean hotel halfway up one of the ski runs somewhere near St Johann im Pongau for a half term 7day holiday.
When we arrived, there was not a flake to be seen. The countryside was bare & devoid of any snow.
After dinner, I sat, well into the night, with the teachers trying to decide where to go.
We decided on Saltzburg, Munich + 'Sound of Music sites' and much more.
Off to bed we went!

Next morning, we woke up to a foot of snow and it snowed, constantly, for the rest of the week, hooray!

I had a week of skiing and was enjoying it so much + being able to ski straight from the hotel, the coach wasn't needed and, except for starting it daily, it required no attention.

Until, that is, the day before departure.
It had been sitting in the hotel carpark, facing the wrong way and surrounded by 6 ft of snow, the narrow road down to the town was the same, what could we do?
The hotel owner contacted a farmer and the carpark was cleared allowing me to turn the coach around and the farmer snow ploughed the lane.
Next morning with the twisting lane cleared of snow but icy, it was decided that, because the coach had an automatic gearbox, it was too dangerous to transport the children down the icy lane in the coach, so most skied down.

We hooked the tractor to the rear of the coach, put it in reverse on tick-over and with the tractor acting as anchor, slowly travelled down the mountain by gravity .
A couple of hairy moments when the engine stalled and I lost power steering but we made it.

I returned to the hotel many times after that, and because the owner thought I must be lucky having brought the snow, I was never allowed to forget it and was treated like a king.

Those were the days! 😆

Edit: Thinking about it, it may have been a mountain near St Johann in Tirol? 🤔
Agree. We’ve been on a number of school ski trips to Austria - good times!

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
I have just booked up a week at the campsite in Mauterndorf, just down the road from Obertauern (of Beatles fame) in Salzburger Land. This will be at the end of our usual Jan/Feb trip out and is to allow our daughter + tribe to fly out and stay in a lodge or pension on the same site.
We were there ourselves earlier this year - lots of good local skiing too - then moved on south and ended up venturing into Slovenia for the first time and stayed at Kranjska Gora, which was great fun & cheap as well.
Cb.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
After 9 years of skiing from mr trucky, I think I've honed it down to my ideal.

From 19th February
4 days Grubhof
6 days each: Fieberbrunn, Aufenfeld, Solden

Stay Stellplatz by spas on way down and back, with Zugspitze in Garmisch way down and Hopfensee way back.

Can't think of a better ski tour.

Anyone else going to be there those dates?

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Half term trip planning in hand with family total 12 persons ,hire minibus drive down to Alps self catering chalet.
Motorhome trip end January and March looking at Morgins, Morgins is a village in the municipality of Troistorrents in the district of Monthey in the canton of Valais in southern Switzerland. It is noted for skiing and is part of the Portes du Soleil ski resort. Has anybody experienced driving there?

1699100880433.png

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've been to Morgins a couple of times by car and on to Chatel I think. It would have been a few years ago but I don't remember it being at all difficult. A quick glance at Google shows the hairpins to be wide and shallow. We would have come up from Collombey on the Swiss side as my brother in law lives in Lausanne. I've been to lots of smaller ski stations around that area with him over the last twenty years so they all tend to blend together 🤷. The last couple of years we have tended to stick with Villars as it's only about 40mins in the car and is a decent sized area linked to Diablerets.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I've received several snow alerts for Swiss and French resorts over the last few days. A quick look at some webcams confirms decent snowfall, let's hope it stays around.
Screenshot_2023-11-04-14-10-57-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2023-11-04-14-14-21-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I might try to squeeze in a four day trip with my son in December. Still very inexpensive to fly to Geneva then and easy and quick to get to several Swiss resorts by train. Crans Montana is top of my shortlist 👍

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I might try to squeeze in a four day trip with my son in December. Still very inexpensive to fly to Geneva then and easy and quick to get to several Swiss resorts by train. Crans Montana is top of my shortlist 👍
do you take your ski equipment on the plane , if so is it expensive or better to hire in a resort for that amount of time.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
this will be our 20th year of going skiing in the motorhome and boy has it changed. From budget ski trips with the small kids to them being all grown up and now just the two of us. Sadly it's become so much more popular, with the improvement of winterization on vans (except British) many more do it which means more trouble finding aires or should i say more of a risk. We went to Les menuires covid kick off year and found a space no problem but the week previous (half term) they were having to que down the large hill on the access road and being moved on.
For us now, we are "snob skiers" we use campsites which are bookable "mainly" so this season we are probably going back to Livigno or maybe the large aire at Montgeneve first two weeks in March, slightly longer days..

cant wait.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
do you take your ski equipment on the plane , if so is it expensive or better to hire in a resort for that amount of time.
As @L'Hoho says, for a short trip, take boots and hire skis. Depending on where you hire, sometimes you can store skis and boots at the shop every night. I also have skis, boots, helmet and salopettes at my brother in law's so I can travel light with just a rucksack if I go there.

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Take your boots, hire your skis.
Nothing spoils a holiday worse than a pair of I'll fittings boots! 🤔
If you fly Swiss Air you can take skis for free. Easy enough to cart around on the trains afterwards, half of the people have skis with them.

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Haganap - your mention of Livignio had me searching for a photo from our visit in 2013. we went in via that rather eerie tunnel from the Swiss side and left, 4 days later via the Bormio route, to spend a couple of days at Lake Como, waiting for the grey waste tank to defrost. It got down to -27C at one point and fair took your breath away when you stepped out of the van!
Cb.
Italy 2013 036.jpg

Aug 19, 2020
Wilts
Funster No
MH
Hymer 534
Exp
Since 2007
Well, at least it's freezing out there for a change! Mauterndorf, below Obertauern in Austrai was showing -15C at night and still -5C daytime, so fingers crossed.....

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Well, at least it's freezing out there for a change! Mauterndorf, below Obertauern in Austrai was showing -15C at night and still -5C daytime, so fingers crossed.....
Enjoy it, hard to get good snow in Austria so early! 😄

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Loads out skiing here in Meribel.

20231203_094106.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun