Side skirt delaminating - any solutions? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Broken Link Removed

More a cosmetic concern than anything, but has anyone got any inexpensive tips for tidying it up and/or arresting the process? The vehicle's 11 years old and is stored outdoors so I can't expect miracles.

I've wondered about UV curing ding repair resin, which surfers use for patching up their boards, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's tackled this successfully.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I dont think that there's any 'cure' for this, because whatever you do to the damaged areas, the sun will still continue on the rest. :(

Of coarse, you could always stop wearing a skirt.........(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Delamination is a common deck and hull construction problem which tends to get worse if left unattended. Eventually, it can reach a point where the overall structural integrity of the hull and deck may be compromised so it’s really important to know how to perform a high quality with this fibreglass boat repair.

With a boat, then it's the gel coat that comes off, or, if it's the part of the hull that's under water, it's called Osmosis. Your skirt is constructed differently to the hull of a boat Robert. With a boat, they use rough fibre glass matting, bonded in layers, and finished with a brushed on gel coat.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Relatively simple repair for anyone with vehicle repair and painting experience.
Using resin on a vertical surface would be like pushing water up hill
A resin and mat mix (bridging filler) followed by standard body filler and then after preping paint the whole skirt for a totally invisible repair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can't even see that it needs a fibreglass repair, it just looks like peeling paint to me, certainly not fibreglass delamination, any half decent body shops should be able to sort it.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't actually believe those side skirts are GRP and certainly not delaminating. That is lacquer peel ,plain and simple. You will need to remove the lacquer from the rest of the panel (fine wet and dry with plenty of soapy water and lots of elbow grease) and then plastic prime and re lacquer it.

D.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I don't actually believe those side skirts are GRP and certainly not delaminating. That is lacquer peel ,plain and simple. You will need to remove the lacquer from the rest of the panel (fine wet and dry with plenty of soapy water and lots of elbow grease) and then plastic prime and re lacquer it.

D.
as said above my mh is-was-is just the same. Once cleaned and lacquerd job done untill the next bit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back