Side Lights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Larby, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Larby

Larby Funster

I wanted to leave my Fiat Ducato (2005) in an unlit area with side lights on.
    My owner's manual says key must be at the MAR position.
    Never had cause to leave lights on before, so key must be in ignition at MAR position to use any external lighting then ?

Is this so or am I getting confused?

• Like Like x 1
  2. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, with the key in the ignition, you will see a little button by the key, push it in and turn the key back and then the side lights stay on and the key comes out. :BigGrin: Bob.

3. Bazzer09

Bazzer09 Read Only Funster

Hi

if you look at the bottom of the ingition switch you should see a small button push this in as you turn the ignition off, the key should turn back one more position past off leaving the side lights on. Or it did on my 56 plate.

4. Larby

Larby Funster

Thanks to BOBANDJANE and BAZZER09.

Just went outside and tried it. The key prevented my fingers pressing button fully in, but as I was standing outside and not in the seat, I was able to read the word PARK ! I pressed button in with small screwdriver and key went 1 extra notch and indeed as you mentioned, parking lights :Cool::Cool: and no need to even put the lights on:thumb:

Thanks for your assistance, another satisfied customer.

Peter

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont leave them on too long.

2 x front sidelights = 5w each

2 x side marker lights = 5w each

2 x tail lights + 5w each

2x number plate bulbs = 5w each

total = 40w

40w = 3.3amps

10hrs = 33amps or 1/3rd of your starter batteries total power gone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Larby

Larby Funster

Thanks Pappajohn for that info. I am well aware that SHMBO would be strugging to push-start 3½ tons of MH.
    I was only thinking of ½ hour when I called by some friends on the way home recently.

Who remembers the old parking lamp that we put in the drivers window to comply with the need to illuminate a parked vehicle?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Indeed. Or the following divides by 3 and improves reliabilty no end.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/LED-Extreme-Power-Bulb-Degrees/dp/B001SPISUA"]501 LED Extreme Power Car Bulb 1.5W 360 Degrees - White x 2: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home[/ame]

Other online purveyors of 360 degree 501 LED bulbs are available...

Although I've not found any to be e-marked, there does appear to be a loophole in the law that only requires e-marks for filament bulbs. IANAL, I'm not paying your fines...

Christian.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

very true, but there are so many 501 leds out there which wont physically fit in the lamp due to larger size than standard.

i looked at replacing the No plate bulbs on my Chrysler with led 501's but the standard bulb sits so close to the glass there was only one led bulb I could find which would fit....from China.

so I just used standard 5w 501 bulbs at 99p pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mentaliss

mentaliss

now I'm confused what is the rules then about fitting LED bulbs to exterior lights as when one pops down to Halfords and seeks out the blasphemous LED bulbs the packing states their fitment is only for promotion use etc, etc:Laughing:

10. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

The law is a bit ambiguous on the matter. The e-mark regulation appears only to apply to filament bulbs, but I don't know if there has been a test case on this.

However, the general requirements for brightness and colour still apply whatever the technology. Not all LEDs would meet them, either being too bright, too dim, the wrong colour, or having the wrong light pattern for the fitting, with many being "spot" types rather than "360" which should work in a wider variety of fittings.

Christian.

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Also worth mentioning is that any LED sold as suitable for use on a a CanBUS system actually has a loading ( to kid the canbus, otherwise it thinks a bukb has blown ) the same as a standard filament type bulb, so absolutely no power saving at all :Doh: