Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Buddies
I might have to replace my Shurflo Water pump the one I have is the 20psi version.
Looking around there are Shurflo pumps with higher psi than mine, allowing for fittings etc being slightly different, would it be detrimental to put a higher psi pump on, say a 30psi or even a 40psi or would I be risking leaks everywhere?
Many Thanks Tony

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It would be the same fittings regardless of pump, I changed one once and went from 20 to 30 so go for it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... only downside is that you'll empty the water tank quicker!:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Buddies
I might have to replace my Shurflo Water pump the one I have is the 20psi version.
Looking around there are Shurflo pumps with higher psi than mine, allowing for fittings etc being slightly different, would it be detrimental to put a higher psi pump on, say a 30psi or even a 40psi or would I be risking leaks everywhere?
Many Thanks Tony
Why do you want to increase the pressure, if you want more flow isn't there one with higher flow rate but same pressure.

Martin

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
A greater pressure than originally specified is more likely to blow the intermediate connection junctions between pump and taps.

I carry a spare shurflo pump to the same spec as the original (20psi). The aftermarket pumps have a different serial number compared with the original.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
if you want more flow isn't there one with higher flow rate but same pressure.
Hi Martin had a quick google and cant seem to find a 20psi with a higher flow rate, do you have a link to one.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
For what reason?? Is it knackered??
Could be not sure yet just investigating a replacement should I find it is caput,
It's given me problems before, not sure how I sorted that one out, my mind is going along with the rest of my body LOL.

It seems to run as I can hear it, I will have to get under the bed and disconect the pipes and see if I can fix it but whatever happens I want it sorted out sooooooon.
This is why I'm getting the info just in case I need a new one and anyway it nice to know a bit more about these things, this is my first year MHing and it's been a big learning curve.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
It would be the same fittings regardless of pump, I changed one once and went from 20 to 30 so go for it.
Hi Mike was the water flow very different to the previous pump?
Many Thanks Tony

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I use a Whale pump attached to a hose. I drop the pump into the 25ltr jerry can I have just filled with fresh water and stick the hose into the van.The jerry can is wheeled back to our van on the trolley bought in a Spanish Bazzar.
It has worked very well on the last 3 vans, but is now 6 years old..
So I will be buying another one and 30 PSI means the job will be done quicker...
Will be interested to see how you get on....
Mitch.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I use a Whale pump attached to a hose. I drop the pump into the 25ltr jerry can I have just filled with fresh water and stick the hose into the van.The jerry can is wheeled back to our van on the trolley bought in a Spanish Bazzar.
It has worked very well on the last 3 vans, but is now 6 years old..
So I will be buying another one and 30 PSI means the job will be done quicker...
Will be interested to see how you get on....
Mitch.

Shurflo 20psi

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/shurflo-water-pump-20psi.html
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/shurflo-water-pump-20psi.html
Super little pump for water transfer... £9-99p !!

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/submersible-water-pump-10-litre-flow.html

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
If I remember correctly, you can get diaphragm kits for around about £10-£12 for those pumps.

Simple pump when in operation, worth whizzing the head off the pump and checking both the check valve and the diaphragm before buying a new pump. I am certain you know, but water will run back out the pipes so drain as much as possible before disconnecting the pump.

Complete Shurflo 7l pumps start from around c.£50 delivered if you want to shop around.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Martin had a quick google and cant seem to find a 20psi with a higher flow rate, do you have a link to one.
Many Thanks Tony
OK 7l/min at 20 psi might be the best flow you can get, I just didn't want you to think you would get better flow just because the pressure is higher if the flow rate was the same, if you get my drift.

I would certainly go for a strip and clean and see how it goes, ours was leaking slightly a the head but a clean and back together sorted it.

Martin

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The different pressures available have something to do with boiler requirements I think.. you need to check them to see what pump to fit.. replacing a 20psi pump for a 30psI is most probably not the best thing to do... as I said check your boiler instructions first ..
Andy.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
OK 7l/min at 20 psi might be the best flow you can get, I just didn't want you to think you would get better flow just because the pressure is higher if the flow rate was the same, if you get my drift.

I would certainly go for a strip and clean and see how it goes, ours was leaking slightly a the head but a clean and back together sorted it.

Martin
Hi Martin That is certainly what I will do, also a friend of mine said it might damage your Truma boiler if the pressure is to high, so that could be another concern should I go for a higher psi.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
different pressures available have something to do with boiler requirements I think.. you need to check them to see what pump to fit.. replacing a 20psi pump for a 30psI is most probably not the best thing to do... as I said check your boiler instructions first ..
Hi Andy you could be right, my friend said the very same thing.
Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody who is interested.
I took the pipes off of the pump today and found there seemed to be no suction whatsoever.

So I dismantled the pump today and one of the screws which screw into the plastic housing and hold the pump together was stripped, although I'm pretty sure this was not the cause of the lack of suction as the three screws which go through the pump and into the motor housing would probably be more than enough to keep the pump tight and sealed together.
This pump has obviously been apart before!

Also the cream seal which seals the pump, part of which had been traped between the two housings when it was reasembled.
I cleaned the pump out and paying special attention where the three seals of the pump section seal to ensure it pumps, or in simple terms sucks and blows lol.
I reasembled the pump trying best I could to sort the trapped seal out.
I then put it on a 12v battery and it started to pump which is great news, for me at least.
Having said all that, with what I know about the problems this pump has I might get a spare just in case it stops working again, I'm not too happy with one of the screws being stripped.
Although Johns Cross has one at around £69 + delivery, I found this one at leisure shop direct for £57 which includes VAT and delivery, which I might go for.
PS If you go to the page listed below you have to scroll down the page to see the pump I'm thinking of buying.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/w...ps/shurflo-trail-king-pump-series-spare-parts

Many Thanks for all who helped me with this problem.
Best Wishes Tony

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you are a member of the Caravan Club you can get 10% discount off leisureshopdirect products.

Before anybody asks, the discount code is unique to the CC member and cannot be shared :D2

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have the Remains of several in my garage!, largely as result of owning 3 R-V`s over 15 years!. They vary between 36 and 45psi BUT the flow rates are different 10gpm as opposed to 7. I suspect the dimensions of the pump parts could be slightly different and would speculate a longer or shorter "stroke" of the diaphragm as well, needed to move the greater volume.

I am now quite intrigued as to what the differences could be, but not sufficient to go rootling in the garage at 8-30pm!. Have a look tomorrow?.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The different pressures available have something to do with boiler requirements I think.. you need to check them to see what pump to fit.. replacing a 20psi pump for a 30psI is most probably not the best thing to do... as I said check your boiler instructions first ..
Andy.

Quite so, it is likely to cause too high a pressure in the boiler when it heats water to the maximum. My Truma drips at the pressure relief valve for a moment or two when reaching maximum temperature simply because of the water expanding and i have the original pump. I have spoken to Truma who say it is quite normal and I expect if I uprated the pump to a higher pressure it would be dripping all the more. and there is nothing wrong with the boiler or the valve.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi Buddies
Many Thanks Tony
Just changed mine. I fitted like for like as I didn't want to over pressurise the system, plus the showers already great, as is the sinks, so I left it as is.

I was quite surprised at the weight difference from old to new, I guess there must have been some scale inside, mind you, it's been in there 10 years, so most probably time for a new one and I have been de-scaling the system yearly.

Mine started to chatter and showed signs of wear and aging, but all tickerdyboo now:)

Think mine was around the £50 mark and took me around 15 mins to change:)
IMG_3157.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back