Shurflo pump problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My diaphragm water pump SUK-0227 has started playing up.

Initially it would run for several seconds after taps were switched off. 20 or 30 seconds on occasion.

It then worked normally for a few days with no recurrence of the fault.

It now runs but delivers no water. The diaphragm pump is clearly operating judging by its own sound. I can also hear noises at the tap similar to when initially priming the system after a drain down, ie "gurggling" noises as if it is trying to pump.

I have checked that the hot water drain valve is closed, that there are no visible leaks anywhere, that the pump casing screws are all tight (as per a previous post), and that there is plenty of water in the tank. Does anyone have any knowledge that might help?

I have done a search on the site and, although there are threads referring to other problems, I can't find anything similar.

Thank you in anticiipation! :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dirt in pump valves or diaphram is split allowing water to flow back into pump chambers instead of being forced into pipework..

Service kits are available.

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a Newbie to motorhomes but have caravaned for years
Mine did the same and managed to get a new one as the van was just in warranty, good service from Bardsea Leisure in S Cumbria.
The old pump looks identical to the new one but was labelled Auto cruise. I took it apart and cleaned it but although the motor runs it does not pump water. The new pump only cost ÂŁ59 and has cured the problem. Not sure how much a service kit would cost but may try to get one and fix the pump and sell it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Looked at the prices of various bits to repair the old pump and I was right to think it was not worth repairing really. Anyone want a broken pump, motor works , does not pump. You can have it if you pay postage.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Have you tried sucking water through the tap until it comes out and the pump has had a chance to kick in?

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Have you tried sucking water through the tap until it comes out and the pump has had a chance to kick in?
I did not try that but the new pump worked straight away when connected. Also the old pump had been making strange noises and not switching off despite no water coming out.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did not try that but the new pump worked straight away when connected. Also the old pump had been making strange noises and not switching off despite no water coming out.

The pump needs back pressure in the system to activate the cutoff switch....if it cant build up that pressure it wont switch off.

Diaphram pumps work on a plunger system and if the motor runs but doesnt deliver the only thing to go wrong is the diaphram.....or a split casing (frost damage)

barrywi

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sounds like it is the diaphragm then

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks to all for replies. M/H booked in for warranty repair tomorrow if water pump faulty.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
How do I "thank" members with the new layout. Cannot see "thanks" button.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Mine stopped working after I had drained it. I put a new one on and it started again and worked fine until the next time that I drained it. I sucked on the tap and drew water through the system and it started up again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back