Shower Tray Repairs

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Geordie and the Dragon, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Geordie and the Dragon

Geordie and the Dragon Funster

Thought this may be of use to someone :

A guy called Neil Jaques who is based in Leicester but is mobile and seems to be willing to travel anywhere to repair caravans etc. He is a useful chap to know, windows, bodywork etc.

Contact details are

enquiries@neilthecaravanmedic.co.uk Mob: 07791772192

The cost to repair a tray is between £280-350. A well known dealer quoted that to replace the tray + labour would have been in the region of £800-£1200, so thank heavens for Neil!

• Like Like x 2
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

wow.. that is pricey .. 280 - 350 what is he using.. gold leaf ?

new shower tray is about 50 quid for a standard square ..up to £200 for a more complex shape.. no idea how a dealer can quote up to £1200

3. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Do it yourself , Fibre glass kit from Halfords £12 odd, Foam canister from B&Q £9, Tongue in cheek flying by the cheek of yer A*** Priceless !

• Like Like x 2
  4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Easily, labour.
    A replacement shower tray for my van was £75, labour to replace it £800, all plus VAT.
    Apparently the shower tray & false floor go in first, then the whole washroom is built round it.
    Speedcoat charged £300 & good value, it's not a five minute job
    In fact it took 4 hours & the materials aren't cheap.
    If it works as well as it looks I'll be well pleased

5. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Shown this before, regulars will be getting pee'd off with me :whistle: Wickes domestic high density foam backed(easy to cut, to fit) acrylic topped jobbie £54
    also sheeted the whole internals acrylic tile effect sheeting. plus some gunge and sweat and tears.

Paid myself £2000.00 Bargain !(y) :)

PS Wouldn't let anyone else within 1000 miles of my van least of all a patching so called expert !

DSC_3865.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  6. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

That looks good!
    I need to repair one, or maybe all my shower walls and I like the look of the tile effect sheeting. Can I ask where you got the sheet from please?

Did you remove all the old walls, bond on top or, as I'd thought of doing remove most the old and leave a margin of old wall to bond to?

Sorry to OP for the thread going of tangent!

David

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

I got it from my local plumber bathroom stuff supplier but here is link to the maker Grant Westfield, it is not cheap, and tough to cut. Tape the cuts to prevent splintering. I also got the internal profiles to slot it together (sealing with clear grout). I obviously stripped out the shower stand, sink splashback and over cabinet but I found the 3mm sheeting slipped past the side of the toilet bench so didn't take that out. My walls were the Elddis waterproof wall paper sort of crap. I found that I needed a bit of ingenuity with the tray water outlet to the plastic bendy pipe to the grey waste tank but I am confident with my result, more so than the original install nonsense.
    http://discountpanels.co.uk/grant-westfield-tilepanels-c-33.html

Have fun, it is not rocket science just measure, measure again then cut, and perseverence. :) If yours is similar to mine pm me and we can discuss further as to how I got on with it. The window was easy,

Allan

Ps The panels are double sided shiny small tiles and other side larger matt tile effect

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

Thank you for your helpful reply Allan, I need to have a closer look at how I might do it - one of my walls is curved and is going to need a little head scratching to decide a way ahead.

Fortunately my shower room is stand alone and not combined with wash room and toilet so perhaps not as big a job as yours.

I'll bear you in mind for future reference :)

Thanks, David

• Like Like x 1
  9. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Then what do you do when you have the above materials, does Halfords fibreglass kit with standard polyester resin stick to ABS plastic shower tray, if you are putting it on the inside of the tray how do you get a decent finish on it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  10. billkce

billkce Funster

Got mine done by a company in Chard, Somerset who were at the Malvern Show. They did It whilst we waited, having booked in & it took about 3 hours. 72 hour curing & drying period and its great. we had a couple of serious cracks. £200 plus VAT. Good job & he does sinks as well £45.

www.caravanmotorhomesolutions.co.uk

11. Geordie and the Dragon

Geordie and the Dragon Funster

I am pleased that so many of you picked up the gauntlet so to speak, when something like this happens it's heartbreaking enough, but when you want the job done urgently it helps take the pressure off if you learn that someone has solved the problem previously or if not whom to contact. I came across the article I entered while browsing for something else and thought it might be of use to someone. The variations in the costs as quoted by others obviously depend on whether DIY or using the services of a professional. When we part-exchanged our Autosleeper Palermo with our present camper, we told the salesman that there was a small split in the shower tray, he then reduced his quote to us by £900 which is what he said it would cost his company to replace the tray. I saw him wince when I told him "I wasn't born yesterday" :whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

[​IMG] DSC_3790.JPG DSC_3791.JPG
    This is the nonsense that was underneath my tray. Just as it was when I threw the crackothene shit out. No support. There was a sheet of about 10mm black painted fibre board, you see the hairy slot that was cut in it at the bottom of the pictures. It was obviously a piece rescued from the skip, out of sight out of mind that will do, we'll charge over thirty thousand(when new) for this crap and they will love it !!!.

This raised the tray and made the unsupported area worse. :Eeek:

Your wonderful "patchers" OR "gunge" spreaders will do nothing to help this and it will come back to haunt you or the poor blighter that buys your van next. RIP IT OUT !!! (y)