Shower is useless???? (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Just running Puriclean through the system, as I have no idea when the van was last used or cleaned out.

Tried the shower for the first time.

Well shower I think is not the right description, trickle, would be much more appropriate!

Even the sink in the bathroom, does not appear to have much in the way pf pressure, while the one in the kitchen is brilliant.

My old Swift caravan had a superb shower and it was at the other end of the van to the pump.

Is this considered normal on a Burstner or do I have a problem?

ALSO - My Swift had a low level water alarm on its internal tank, would I be correct in assuming the Burstner does not have a tank low or indeed waste tank full alarm?

Robin

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would take the shower head off and see what the flows like then. The distance from the pump I don't think makes a big difference as water isn't compressible.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Our Burstner has a decent shower rate but the washroom taps is slow. Maybe the tap is deliberately slowed down?

The kitchen tap is good too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Good pressure on all taps & shower in our IXEO i728G

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sounds like you may have a problem. Our Burstner has good water pressure, the shower is almost like our shower at home.
I would check the shower head to see if it has any limescale in it.
Not sure which model Burstner you have, different models and years may well have different water gauges and pumps, ours doesn’t have an alarm but it does have buttons to press to tell us how much water is in each tank.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hmmm

Thanks for all the replies.

Engineer who called me is trying to tell me Burstner has a reputation for not having great pressure in the shower, at least on smaller vans!

I would have thought a 7.5M van would not be considered small?

I have an Ixeo Time Sovereign 745.

Really glad to hear that others do have good water pressure.

I took the shower head off and I can stop the water flow with my little finger!

Wife will go mad, as we only use our own facilities!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
trace the pipes and look for a kink or restriction

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Leave white vinegar in the system overnight. Is there any difference between Hot & Cold pressures? Is your system pressure or microswitch? Also remove and clean tap flow straighteners - they block easily with limescale.

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
We've had a problem with our (Burstner) shower since I drained down for the winter. An engineer told us that if you haven't used it in a while the system forgets so you have to keep running it, then stopping then try again.
Not sure if it's true, but tried yesterday, nothing at all!!, then noticed the dump valve was open ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
nowhere near full flow

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Thanks heavens for that, I was getting really worried!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On some older vans with pipes joined by jubilee clips you find the low is restricted, but this doesn't happen with push fit joints

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Engineer coming out to see me Sunday morning!

We will see what happens then.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Robin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Can’t open that link, but it seems the engineer who called you used the universal salesman’s excuse ( they all do that!) Let us know how you get on on a Sunday. Water pressure at the shower should be as high as the other taps.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
So, just downloaded the mov file. Flow does seem a bit low but depends on the shower head and it’s design. Ours is a straight slim shower head with one straight line of holes. Can you try another shower head or make sure yours is limescale free. Can’t check my shower at the moment because the water tank is empty.

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Shower head is a round one, similar to the one I had in my caravan.

the engineer is an Independant one, although in this instance working for the person who sold me the van.

he said it all depended on the year of the van, some had better systems than others!

he di get me to turn off the water and try blowing through the shower hose, it should have pushed a little water through into the bathroom sink but while I could blow it a little it then seemed to ‘block up’!

oh well we will see on Sunday.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Have you tried reverse pressure? Blowing one end then the other? It might mean undoing a clip or two.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Shower head is a round one, similar to the one I had in my caravan.

the engineer is an Independant one, although in this instance working for the person who sold me the van.

he said it all depended on the year of the van, some had better systems than others!

he di get me to turn off the water and try blowing through the shower hose, it should have pushed a little water through into the bathroom sink but while I could blow it a little it then seemed to ‘block up’!

oh well we will see on Sunday.
I would get a cheap shower hose fron screwfix and try that as a first step or just try the one off the shower at home.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It might be having a problem with its prostate gland,a well known cause of low pressure. ;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
With the shower head taken off, there should be no restriction and the water flow rate at the shower position will be as good as you are going to get.
If you can trace the pipes up to the back off the shower head, and also the basin in the bathroom, and find no kinks on the pipe, or anything else restricting the pipes, then it will be the pump.
You have not mentioned whether you have a pressurised or non pressurised water system, if it a submersible pump placed in the storage tank, then it will be a low pressure system, relying on micro switches at each tap to turn the pump on/off.
If it has a Whale type pump,(yea the noisier type) then it will be a pressurised system, these have a higher flow rate in most cases, and also have a flow regulator at the pump to adjust the pressure, so check that also.
Good luck, dont be fobbed off with some are good some are not, change the pump for a higher pressure one if needed, having checked out the pipe runs of course, plus any in line filters.
LES

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Mine has a pump in the water tank, so sounds like a low pressure system based on the above description, but surly I should get more pressure than I am. :-(

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mine has a pump in the water tank, so sounds like a low pressure system based on the above description, but surly I should get more pressure than I am. :-(
if you were not getting full pressure in the kitchen sink, then I would say the pump is failing. If as I mentioned before your plumbing is hose and jubilee clips, with fittings restricting the flow, then the more fittings before the outlet at the shower, the slower it will flow

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
You should be able to see wires going to the bases of the taps if the pump is micro switch controlled. Both high and low pressure systems can have a submersible pump.
can you get access to the pump? On mine, the tank is behind a service door with a screw off cap in the side giving access to clean the tank and service the pump.

Attachments

• 639E77CA-E002-4104-A5FA-4B515331A714.jpeg
    639E77CA-E002-4104-A5FA-4B515331A714.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
That picture is almost identical to mine!

Yes I can see the pump through the service panel.

One of the things the engineer got me to do was to check to see if the pump had water coming out of a small hole at the top of it!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A submersible pump has a higher flow rate than one outside the tank. Both types:

Reich 19 Litre Per Minute Twin Submersible Water Pump

Reich 12V 19L/Min 1.5 BAR Twin Submersible Fresh Water Pump £46.99

Colour: Black
Power: 12V D.C.
Output: 55W
Size: Height: 19cm, Width: 8cm,
Hose connection: 3/8” (10mm)
Non Return Valve
Necessary tank opening: 80mm
19 litres per minute 1.4 BAR
Self priming
Automatic vent strainer

BrandSHURflo £86.99
SeriesAqua King II Standard
Model4139-111
Voltage12V DC
AmpsMaximum: 6.5A
Fuse7.5A Recommended
Flow Rate11.35 LPM (3.0 GPM)
Cut Out Pressure30 PSI / 2 Bar
Inlet / Outlet1/2"-14 NPSM Male (13mm)
Self Primes up to1.82 Metres (6 Feet)
ConstructionPolypro Housings, EPDM Valves / Seals, Santoprene Draphragm, Stainless Steel Hardware

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As others have said, if the flow is good at the kitchen sink there is nothing wrong with the pump. It has to be a restriction, so try to follow the hose routing. It both the hot and cold slow or just one ?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
This is my shower. It’s with the tap half open, otherwise it goes over the bowl edge!

This is our shower head

1A2F15F6-CA8E-4355-BF0D-2EF779BFD8F4.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your pump is probably a Reich twin, they have 2 motors it's not uncommon for one motor to fail especially if they have been run dry for some time. Your symptoms looks like one motor has failed it can push water to the nearest outlet but the longer run to the shower it can't manage. I've had the same when one motor failed.
ALSO - My Swift had a low level water alarm on its internal tank, would I be correct in assuming the Burstner does not have a tank low or indeed waste tank full alarm?
Normally a flashing warning triangle on the control panel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back