Should we be worried by this dealers response!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Emmenay, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

As many of you may already be aware I had an incident in Spain a few months ago whereby my Maxview satellite dome detatched from my roof while travelling along a motorway.
    My opinion was that it was very poorly fitted from the off, and the fitting dealer had a duty to at least inspect the remains and my roof for future safety.
    I have had many email discussions with the fitting dealer which only illuminated their keeness to blame me or other factors for the detatchment.
    To date they have not requested any parts to inspect for possible future safety issues and they have managed to evade any comments regarding the photographs I sent them.
    The reason I say it was poorly fitted was because of WHERE it was fitted. Two of the feet were partially resting on a roof join which is slightly raised, therefore not allowing the feet to sit level and not rest on the adhesive. (see photo's) and also not allowing the supplied screws to bite into the roof properly.

Here are some of the dealers reasons for the failure with my (in red) replies;

1. A previous impact could have cased it. Surely any impact enough to cause this would have smashed the dome cover rather than cleanly separate all four feet.
    2. Our two short trips to Spain could have been too much heat for the adhesive thereby breaking it down. Sikaflex etc is UV and all weather resistant. If the Spanish sun has caused this then a lot of people not only using the product but the makers as well should be very concerned.
    3. A cleaning agent could have had a breaking down effect on the adhesive.
    To my shame I have not been able to clean the roof because of lack of access although the the vehicle was mopped and polished by me ready for the trip to Spain and the dome APPEARED to be in place as usual. What cleaning product gentle enough for our vans is hard enough to break down the adhesive?
    4. There is no access to the roof so it may not have been inspected. A hab check is not a legal requirement and I am competent enough to do my own inspecting which is on a rolling basis. Even if it could be accessed I wouldn't try to unstick the adhesive to see if it was stuck!
    5. In the two years and 8000 miles since it was fitted somebody else could have removed and poorly replaced the system. This theory could be applied to anything fitted by any dealer even after a couple of weeks and a couple of miles so they get out of any situation.

To be fair I have never asked the dealer for anything, no replacement, no money, no discounts for anything. All I have asked for is their comments on the photo's I supplied them and to carry out their moral resposibilty which is to look into the matter properly. As yet all they have done is try to sell me a new system with about £100 off. I don't even want another dome although I am gradually repairing the damaged one maybe for cheap resale.

I have recently spoken to Maxview who confirmed that the feet SHOULD NOT have detached from the roof and the only way would be for the surfaces to be unprepaired. I can confirm that the mating surfaces of the feet and the roof have not been prepared ie. roughing with a suitable abrasive or similar.

Now that I have banged on about it I invite you all to inspect the pictures that I sent to the dealer.
    The arrows on two of the pics are pointing to where the feet were resting on the roof join.

As for the name of the dealer...all in good time if it is justified!
    Thanks for reading. :thumb:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. busby

busby Funster

WHO IS THE DEALER ???:Smile:

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

• Like Like x 5
  4. lee52

lee52 Funster

well I am not a expert but you can clearly see some of the sparingly used sikaflex has not been in contact with the full area of the feet and u can see it has quite clearly stuck to the MH roof and come away from the feet so did they degrease/clean the feet? u can also quite clearly see it has not been refitted theres only one lot of sikaflex

i think they have not used enough adesive, poor location and relying on the screws the big question is have they used sikaflex? or is it just a cheap silicone sealant?

5. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

This is very unusual to say the least. I can understand the dealer not taking responsibility, especially as it has been in place for over two years. Is there any 'time' guarantee/warranty provided by the dealer who fitted it. ? If not, i think you may be on a hiding to nothing. Sorry if this is not want you want to hear, I just fail to see how the dealer is going to be convinced they got it wrong !
    Clearly the email responses are from someone who has no technical knowledge and probably some sales geek, in my honest opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Emmenay

The dealer states that 2 years and 8000 miles later they are not interested.
    I wonder if it was 2 years and 800 miles later or even 80 miles,or, what about 8000 miles and 1 year, I think I was on a hiding to nothing regardless.
    The sales geeks were the company owners who should have been a bit more responsible with this one I think as it could damage their no doubt good reputation.:thumb:

7. buttons

buttons Funster

I'm sure they will take your comments on board and address any future fittings. As far as admitting any blame after 2 years and 8000 miles very unlikely. In my opinion they have answered your questions but perhaps not in an agreeable way. If you are not after any recompense and thankfully no one was injured on the motorway I guess I would put it down to experience and get on with my life.

8. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Personally I would think a good approach is to find out who it the owner / chairman / managing director and pen a firm but very polite email stating your dissatisfaction with the response so far and ask if he would please look into the matter as many people are looking for this information on Motorhome Fun on of the biggest motorhome forums in Europe to ensure they do not have similar problems.

No threats given no blame laid just a polite request :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  9. Emmenay

I'm a bit confused as to what questions you feel they have answered.

Yes I should just move on but when a company feels they dont need to investigae a serious issue that pisses me off!

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

This one will always be hard to resolve as if I recall correctly, you were not the customer. The dealer could argue that anything could have happened, since he did the job and you bought the vehicle, it might even have been moved and replaced, repositioned etc. While you are not the customer its difficult to know what to do for the best.

If you are convinced its the dealer, write him a proposal, tell him precisely where you consider he has fallen short, what you want from him in recompense and what you are going to do if he ignores you. Your actions could involve adverse publicity, small claims court etc. If you don't fancy the hassle that will entail, then walk away wiser and forget about it.

Best of luck:thumb:

11. Emmenay

Lets suppose for one crazy minute here that it actually fell off because of poor fitting, what then, what of the dealer, he just ignores the issue washes his hands and carries on regardless? How would each of us feel if it was you?

12. lee52

lee52 Funster

I think it should be taken further end of the day if you pay for a service u expect it to be done right and safely, imagine if it hit a car behind u on the motorway and caused an accident?

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I do not know about outside the UK, but here it is considered a loose load, for which you can be banned from driving pretty much instantly

Of course if it DID fall off then the police would be involved and quite probably would want to know who fitted the thing as they would be the people who 'loaded' the dome on to the vehicle.

Even then I doubt they would take it very far.

Ultimately we. as in the driver, are responsible for the condition of our vehicles and what is attached to them.

I appreciate that in the case of a dish or indeed anything else attached to a hard to access roof, but that would not change anything in the eyes of the law

In fact with that in mind, I think I may well do a small mod to mine at some time.. Fit a trailer break away cable to the dish assembly and the roof rail.. Just in case !!

• Like Like x 3
  14. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I would follow the advice given above by Landy Lover and Jim as being the only way you will get any satisfaction.

15. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If it was me... Well apart from cause a bit of trouble for him there is not a lot you can do. Write to trading standards, get him some adverse publicity etc. But there is a cost to battles like this, and its not all monetary. taking people to court, even when you are right is stressful. For me, I'd want this behind me (like it was when it fell off :Laughing:) ASAP, Do what I could to make him see the error of his ways and then forget about it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

That's right Lee, but its made more difficult because Emmenay didn't pay, he bought it from the person who had it fitted.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Emmenay

Just to clarify, when I bought the van it had a 2 month (approx) old dome fitted by the dealer for the previous owner, the mileage indicates that the dome had not travelled and lets be honest it was unlikely to have been damaged or moved.
    I understand that I am on a loser but I am very angry at the lack of care or botherations from the dealer.

Is this the correct response from me now....I GIVE UP, I WILL JUST TAKE IT UP THE JACKSY AND SAY THANK YOU!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  18. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

I should probably not comment on this thread as I am as technically competent as a plank of wood. However, in with both feet.

Looking at the pictures the fact that the two areas by the roof join have very dirty sikaflex and the opposite two are relatively clean would prove that they were not stuck down properly. General dirt and grim has managed to get between the feet and the sikaflex, which it wouldn't have done if it had been sealed properly.

Or am I missing something here?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Why not ask an independent fitter to inspect the van and give you a professional report. Armed with this you could try approaching the original company again, presuming the 2nd fitter confirms your claim, at least you would know one way or the other.

P.s you will find a reputable expert advertising at the top of this thread! Dave somebody or other!

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No I wouldn't give up yet. Do some of the things suggested above and hope that the dealer is moved to help. If he does not, do what you promise. Then you make a decision to either take a chunk out of your life, time and wallet and take them on, or take it up the jacksy and hobble away and move on.:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1