Should I get this Fiat Ducato 2.8TD 1999 - fifth gear too far over?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Carmella, May 14, 2016.

1. Carmella

Carmella Read Only Funster

Hi everyone, a newbie here looking forward to being part of this fab community! I'm looking for some advice please. I'm searching for my first motorhome and tried one today that ticked all the boxes except the gears didn't seem quite right (and it needs its timing belt replaced). Anything that's wrong with it I can use to negotiate a better deal but I need to know if these issues may be something serious and very costly before getting back to the owner.

The main issue; Fifth gear was waaay over to the right, so much so that your hand touched the indicator stick. Seller didn't have anything to say about this, just said it's something you have to get used to. Anyone else had this? Can it be fixed and for how much? It's really putting me off what otherwise seems a perfect vehicle!

The gears crunched sometimes when I changed them, and seemed a bit 'sticky'. The seller said that I needed to let it rev longer before changing. When he drove it, they didn't crunch.

Any feedback most welcome, would you buy this? : )

2. f6c

f6c Funster

Welcome aboard;) Wait and our savey funster will be able to advice.

3. Carmella

Forgot to say its due its MOT next week, seller is putting it through.

4. Carmella

Thanks f6c, this is an excellent site. I'm hooked!

5. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, the 5th gear, being an add on, has a great many variants. Most need warming up usually by driving about 5 to 10 miles in 4th to get the oil circulated. Hope you get yours sorted to your satisfaction. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RichardB

RichardB Funster

In my previous van (1999 Peugeot Boxer so same van more or less) I had a bit of stickychange now and again - after getting used to the gear change and having the gear box oil changed it was fine...The crunchy change could just be because your not used to it - I had to press my clutch right down otherwise it would sometimes crunch but once I got used to it, it was fine

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Does the gear change and crunching bother you? Is it going to be something that will annoy you as you drive it? If so, then you might be better off looking at a different van. Driving a motorhome is part of the fun on holiday, if it becomes a chore with a difficult gear change, you aren't going to enjoy it.
    Plenty more vans out there with smooth gear changes.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

I never had this problem with same gear change,however I did lubricate the knuckle regularly to keep it moving easily,I also believe the linkage can be adjusted, but not 100% sure.
    If you don't feel comfortable with it walk away,your decision is long lasting.
    Good luck.
    Oh sorry forgot, a big :welcome3:

9. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Hi & welcome to Motorhome'fun', the friendliest & most informative forum

"That would annoy me and even if I loved the van, would think twice about getting it. If fault can be rectified then that may make it worthwhile.

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to Fun :)
    You do not say what year or model the Ducato in question is ?

Oddly enough, since my leaky gearbox issues I can say that the occasional crunch is directly related to a lack of oil in the box !

Every time someone has tried to fix the issue, the first 300 miles or so are really sweet.. Then, as the oil gets chucked out it gets progressively worse

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

5th gear simply needs the operating cables adjusting properly.
    Cam belt is a relatively easy job if you can handle spanners and follow instructions.

12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hi Carmella and welcome, you have received some fantastic tips from our friends above. It is a known worry as it was a four speed box with a fifth gear added later and has problems as Jaws has found out to his cost. The other great bit of advice is leave that one and move on, there's are literally thousands of Moho's out there.
    Good luck with the hunt. (y)

13. Carmella

Thanks everyone. Still considering this, but getting some money off the price so as the gear issues can be sorted. I also have my eye on a 2000 Mercedes Sprinter 412d, off to see that today, probably that is the safer bet, from everything that I've read (though it does have higher mileage).

• Like Like x 1