Service schedule for Peugeot Boxer.

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by shezza, Feb 28, 2010.

1. shezza

shezza Read Only Funster

Hi All I have a new Sunseeker (2009) on a Peugeot Boxer.The service schedule in the Boxer manual say's every two years, But i have heard that it should be every year.What do others think?

2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

H Shezza, yes it is 2 years. My local Peugeot dealer confirmed this several times during my 17 recalls (Toyota are only novices).
    My local garage has a lot more brain than my dealer so he has a full service kit and the service is next week. It is a long time but we assume they no the best as I'm sure they would fleece us with a yearly service if required.
    Wiljoy

3. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

That's amazing :Eeek:

Can you recall what all the recalls were for

4. keith

keith Funster

A 2007 Boxer.
    Had mine serviced November 2009, 20000 on the clock, before going to Spain for the winter, & dealer provides invoice with further schedule for next service.

Next service November 2012 or 40000 miles.

Do as the service schedule says, I cannot see any reason to do otherwise - as long as all is well.

5. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

I had the initial freebie and then changed the oil every six months irrespective of what the schedule said. Never more than 12 months without checking brakes etc.

6. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

I had the initial freebie and then changed the oil every six months irrespective of what the schedule said. Never more than 12 months without checking brakes etc. Never had a problem but my preventative approach has found various things (including the common rail) working loose or vibrating themselves to death.

7. warwick

warwick Read Only Funster

On a Boxer you should have a yearly check not a service as such, costs about £60 bit of a con but ensures warranty is maintained. I queried a two year service cost at a Peugeot main dealer and was quoted £420. I shall be making a number of phone calls next November!!!

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Watch my lips:BigGrin:
    There is no substitute for an annual service and inspection:shout:
    Geo

9. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Hi
    If you have the trip conputer set correctly you can get it to display the number of miles to go to the next oil change which is as you say 20K unless its been driven under arduous conditions when its around 16K

Phill

10. wills5138

wills5138 Read Only Funster

I have just had my AS Symbol on a Boxer serviced and the cam belt changed.
    All was going OK until the rear brakes were checked. Brakes shoes needed replacing and the cylinders were leaking on both wheels.
    Now here comes the rub of the story.
    Peugeot quoted shoes at £220 + VAT and the cylinders at £96 + VAT EACH!!!!!
    That would have added another £485 onto an already expensive bill.
    The garage managed to source pattern parts and saved the better part of £300.
    Still cost me £955. At least that should be it for another 2 years.
    Funny thing was the van was checked over last year and the rear brakes were shown as OK then. From my viewpoint, unless you're handy enough to do the checks yourself, an annual safety check by a garage sounds a good idea.

11. Peter James

I'm guessing this is a pre 2006 Boxer as I think the Boxers / Relays after 2006, at least the 2.2 engines, don't have cam belts?

If you could be sure all the service items would be done, then an annual service may be worthwhile, but (according to the independent Which magazine who send pre checked cars in for services, then check them again afterwards) they never are.

Franchised dealers came out no better than independent garages, just more expensive.

In their last check with 50 cars services, 26 garages missed low brake fluid, and 20 charged for screenwash when it was already full.

The last time I took a vehicle in for service was my Vauxhall Agila which I took in to the local Vauxhall main dealer for warranty service. He has ticked the box for checking the power steering fluid even though the car doesn't have any fluid - the power steering is all electric :Doh:

12. GeoffM

GeoffM Read Only Funster

On Monday I have the 'van booked in to be serviced and all brake pads replaced, all genuine FIAT parts, for just under £500 incl VAT.
    This is the second annual service with the mileage close to 22K. I'm reasonably happy with that figure but in the knowledge that cheaper parts could have been sourced. I'll stick with FIAT parts until the warranty runs its course, then shop around.
    Geoff.

13. Castaway

Castaway Funster

I've had my 2006 Castaway (Boxer 2.8) serviced every year, regardless.
    To spend all that money on a MH then scrimp on the servicing or at least a check is, IMHO, bordering on stupidity.
    I've never understood people who, after spending sometimes upwards of £40,000 on their vehicles, complain about the cost of running the thing!
    If you can't afford to run it, why buy it in the first place? :Doh:

(I'm now running very quickly to the hills!)

14. Steve928

Steve928 Read Only Funster

Spending money regardless (of recommended service intervals) could also be regarded as bordering on stupidity.

15. Castaway

Castaway Funster

You may well be right, but I'd rather be cautiously stupid and have a serviced vehicle than look stupid stood at the side of the road because I hadn't been looking after it!

16. Peter James

I would have thought the brake pads would last more than 22,000 miles on a motorhome. Can't last very long with whitevanman :Eeek:

If you use non fiat pads (which can't be any worse if Fiat pads only last 22,000 miles?) I would have thought that your warranty could only be affected if you were claiming on something directly related to the brake pads?

17. 656

656 Read Only Funster

I have my Fiat ducato 2.3 serviced every year, done 3500 miles since the last one. Next service in 2 weeks time.

18. GeoffM

GeoffM Read Only Funster

The reason why I am having the pads replaced at 22K is that here on the forum some others have found it necessary to replace pads at about that mileage: I had the unfortunate experience last year on Route 55 Sognefjell Pass in Norway of brake fade; it made me realise how important reliable brakes are and I'm not taking any chances.
    It will be interesting to see what condition the pads are in when taken off on Monday and whether my decision was prudent.
    If in the event of a braking failure accident, someone would surely enquire as to the maintenance of the vehicle and what parts might have been used. Do you think that FIAT would stand by me if their components were not used.
    Geoff

19. Peter James

So your brake fade was not down to the age of the brake pads then?
    If your driving gets the brakes hot enough to fade then I guess the pads wouldn't last long :Eeek:
    If you had a braking failure accident, wouldn't it be a case of your insurance company standing by you, rather than FIAT?

20. GeoffM

GeoffM Read Only Funster

Peter
    On the occasion in Norway when the brakes could have so seriously let me down was after many miles of steep downhill, hairpins and following others, wasn't helped by having a full load on board.
    My mechanic's recommendation was to have fluid checked for moisure and to replace the pads at the next service; that is what I'm planning to do.
    Yes I will be dissapointed if I do not get better from them next time; with experience I now use the engine to control such decents .
    Geoff