Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
We are out on our first trip in our Bessacarr 799. 2012. Picked it up last week. The fridge was 'wiffy' when we looked at it but assumed a good clean and power up would sort it. How wrong we were. The smell seems to be coming from the freezer compartment. Door off, seals off and cleaned but it is still awful. When we open the fridge door the smell fills the whole van. Can't store any food in it as it stinks! Have bought a bottle of bleach and thought about soaking the little joints/gaps. What on earth can it be?!!

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
If only I could put food in it! Have caravanned for years and never had a smell like this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Try cleaning it out with lots of bicarbonate of soda. Then leave coffee grains in there to absorb smells. Also check that the gas pilot light is lit.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Fridge is working. Thetford SES. 3 way (gas, 12v 240, auto select) if that's what you mean.:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Half an onion and / or half a lemon left on a shelf is an old fashioned remedy. Also a bowl containing a strong solution of bicarbonate of soda left in the fridge.

Notify the supplying dealer of the problem as well :)

Last edited:

Arewethereyet

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Try avoid using bleach that in itself can leave smells try using bicarbonate of soda mixed with a little warm water much better at absorbing smells, but it does sound like something might have defrosted at sometimes and run out and possibly between the small gaps in the freezer compartment, Ice cream maybe and you know how bad dairy products can smell when they go off.

I seem to remember some years ago you used to be able to buy these products that looked if memory serves me correctly looked a bit like a plastic egg, apparently they used to absorb smells from fridges and the such like maybe give one of them ago, but i certainly would avoid bleach, something else that has just come to mind lemon juice in warm water.

M

Sounds like me and Puddleduck are on the same wavelength

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Are you sure it's the fridge?
Anything caught around or underneath it?

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Fridge is working. Thetford SES. 3 way (gas, 12v 240, auto select) if that's what you mean.:)
See if it keeps working, if it stops it may have an ammonia leak. If so it's the end of the fridge. If it keeps working try all/any of above

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
half a lemon and a saucer of bicarbonate of soda will absorb the smells. when not in use, leave the fridge door ajar to ventilate

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Try cleaning it out with lots of bicarbonate of soda. Then leave coffee grains in there to absorb smells. Also check that the gas pilot light is lit.
We are running on mains hook up. Not tried it on gas. Thought of Bicarbonate is soda but it's so bad I feel like it's needs bleach. Would it be ok to pour direct on to the plastic?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is there a drip pan or tray under the freezer compartment?

Just thinking mold might have accumulated there.

Having said that I know nothing about fridges or motorhomes (y)

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
half a lemon and a saucer of bicarbonate of soda will absorb the smells. when not in use, leave the fridge door ajar to ventilate
Thanks. Bicarbonate of soda in a water solution or dry in a saucer?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are running on mains hook up. Not tried it on gas. Thought of Bicarbonate is soda but it's so bad I feel like it's needs bleach. Would it be ok to pour direct on to the plastic?
neat bleach will taint the plastic so it would stink of bleach instead

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i use ne
I use neat bicarb and change every couple of days. the moisture in the air will be absorbed too

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Almost certainly the previous owner was fond of strong-smelling foodstuffs and perhaps not particularly vigilant about cleaning out after use. I'd be very careful about using bleach because it may well damage seals etc. but a good clean out with diluted bicarb should help, then leave it open (most fridges have a little catch to enable you to leave the door slightly open for ventilation). The coffee grains trick I've not heard of, but I would also suggest one of those fridge-fresh de-odorisers from the supermarket cleaning materials rack.

Also check the drain hole is not blocked - inside where the defrosted condensation runs away. Try giving it a good clean out too with a suitable prodder - but take care not to push the tube off 'cos it's a fridge out job usually to put it back on. We found ours got a bit manky but cleaning the drain helped and it's now part of the after-trip cleanup.

You may need to do this a few times to clear it, but ensure that when not in use, leave the fridge door open.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
No smell at all until the door is opened. Def the fridge.

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
hi does the smell smell like rotten sea food. had the same problem myself it turned out to be amomia leaking from the fridge.

sparky

Free Member
Feb 19, 2008
bingley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class burstner aviano i
Exp
30 years
Hi has the fridge got a drain hole in it if it take the outside grill off and see if there is a small container which the drain pipe goes in to this will probably full of rotting food and water clean out should stop the smell

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
It smells like mouldy, cheesy dead something. Would we be able to check an amonia leak? About to clean it. Should I leave the fridge on or turn it off for a few days?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hi has the fridge got a drain hole in it if it take the outside grill off and see if there is a small container which the drain pipe goes in to this will probably full of rotting food and water clean out should stop the smell

Or better still make the dealer do it.

OP
OP
Golygfor

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
Checked that and it was fine. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back