Selling van using dealer on commission - anybody done it? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hope you aren't giving up Mike/Gwen, are you buying another?:crying1:
Sadly we are packing it in Because Gwen has some health issues which make it difficult for her to drive the monster.
We have had some great times over the years, seen fabulous places, made wonderful friends and really loved the Fun rallies.
But everything has to come to an end eventually.
Unfortunately our holidays will now have to comprise first class air travel and five star hotels. :( Bummer.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Really sorry to hear this Mike, have enjoyed your and Gwens company on several occasions, hope Gwens health issues improve and you learn to cope with first class air travel and five star hotels, I suppose a nice little panel van for weekends in U.K. Is out of the question then? Whatever mate, Marg and I wish you both well for the future and maybe hope to bump in to you sometime, please give Gwen our best wishes to. (y):(:crying:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to hear you're throwing the towel in Mike & Gwen, Lynda and I will miss your presence and company. Hope you bot keep well and you never know we might see you in the Marigold Hotel somewhere.

K&L
xx

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Friends sold their van through Bundesvan, they speak very highly of them. We had a lovely couple buy our previous van, they came from Darlington down to Birmingham. Hope you and Gwen are well.
I would recommend Bundesvan

I have never heard a bad word said against them, and professionally I know that they've bent over backwards for vendors and buyers alike to make a deal work for everyone

I personally dislike the thought of a contract that forces me to pay commission to a third party, even if I sell the van myself, so wouldn't dream of entering into such a one sided deal

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sadly we are packing it in Because Gwen has some health issues which make it difficult for her to drive the monster.
We have had some great times over the years, seen fabulous places, made wonderful friends and really loved the Fun rallies.
Unfortunately our holidays will now have to comprise first class air travel and five star hotels. :( Bummer.

Sorry to hear this Mike and of Gwens health issues. It is a beautiful van and I am sure someone will snap it up. Old Mo sold his expensive van privately so I don't see why you shouldn't, why not put it on here to start with?

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

So sorry to hear of your situation and sincerely hope that it improves for the both of you. It won't be the same without you!

Could you not consider a smaller van Mike? As you know, we downsized to a PVC 3 vans ago and we would not go back to a coachbuilt, or an A class for that matter.

Good luck with the sale Mike and we hope that you will be able to stay with us.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I think Camper UK would sell it for you on commission Mike. They are currently selling the attached Carthago for a customer I believe.
They still have a Burstner Grand Panorama which they have had for ages but I think you'd have no trouble shifting yours through them.

What are you going for instead of the Burstner?

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/used-moto...-a-class-silver-automatic-diesel-id_4071.aspx

Whilst I remember, SMC in Newark are also selling a Carthago on behalf of a customer. We were half tempted but they didn't want ours in part ex as 'there wasn't enough in it to cover their overhead' - my arse. :LOL:
I would definately recommend Camper UK, top end dealer with a 100% history

The other broker I would not bother with

Peter

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hope it all goes well Mike. Best wishes to Gwen, tell her we can all meet up outside C&A and wander around to the Bis-Bar for a coffee.
Norman

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We sold a motorhome on eBay and it was a nightmare. We were staggered by the over 5300 views of the auction, so it does gets to a very wide audience but eBay is full of prats and to*ssers.
We had a group of these prats that thought it was great fun to bid up the price against each other with no intention of buying or paying the final price and then they left us malicious negative feedback just to add to the fun.
We lost the tenner insertion fee and had to go through the rigmarole of getting the final sale fee back and getting the negative feedback removed.
Maybe we were just unlucky but if you sell on eBay then your probably better off selling at a fixed price or making sure that you have the low and negative feedback bidders weeded out as we did when we relisted it.
As said previously don't worry about where you are in the country as we did not think twice about travelling mile and mile for the van we wanted. We live near Huntingdon and travelled to Chichester to view one and finally bought in Telford.
Dont sell a van by ebay auction, sell it on ebay for a set price. I sold my van that way with no hassle. I got more than the trade in value.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Mike,
When we bought our Hymer we sold the caravan that way. Not your sort of money of course but it worked well for us. It took a long time but we got a lot more than if we had sold it to a dealer or even privately.
A company in Stockton who had done repair and storage moved into caravan sales but had little stock. They wanted good vans on the forcourt. I was told at the outset what I would get. I never knew how much they advertised it at or what they got for it but I got my cash as agreed. Hope it goes well.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
The time element is key... if you are a dealer with a forecourt full of stuff, do you sell stuff you have money tied up in over stuff you dont ... no not ever .

This time of year its a sellers market, and thats when Ebay classifieds are the way to go. Or here.. Captive audience, and you only need one person who wants what you have, not 100.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
The Carthago dealer who sold us our van new has offered to sell it for a commission of 8% of whatever he sold it for.

The benefit of us selling it through the dealer would be his ability to arrange finance and take a part exchange.

IMO it represents less hassle for you & at the sort of price it is worth then a potential buyer will very likely want to PX an existing MoHo or car/caravan - your Cathargo dealer can do this so "bite his hand off!! :)

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Have you been given a price for the dealer to buy outright? It will be a lot less than you want but a lot easier. When we used a dealer they would've bought it for £2 grand less than the return on commission sale.
We have sold in many different ways. Ebay, through a local car dealer, on commission sale through dealer, and on facebook selling. Not the same value as you are looking at though, only up to £30k.
Facebook has actually been the quickest and easiest for us.

Selling through a dealer if not pristine in every way, they may charge you for repairs as condition of sale. Also as has been said if they take a part exchange you might not get all money straight away, as there is a large chunk tied up in the part ex, which they then have to sell before you get your money and so on

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
What are the ebay fees like for selling a high ticket item ?

I think it was £35 for a classified, there is a sliding scale to a maximum value , I don't see the point of paying £7k to someone to sell something for you when you can put it in the same place, and sell it for £35

People say 'oh well it saves hassle'... for £6965 you can punch me square in the face till the cows come home.

And remember , if YOU find a buyer in the meantime, you cant sell it to them without paying the fee to the guy THAT HASNT MANAGED TO SELL IT ...

What tends to happen is the guys will have a portfolio , and they are trying to sell the ones that are on the books the longest before their contract is up... 2 vans, similar price and mileage, do you sell the one that you only have a week to run on, or the one you have just taken on board??

When I was selling last time, I got a call , offering to sell it for me , the USP was that they would get more money than I could, it seemed lost on them that that they got to keep all of the difference as a fee, so it was only a benefit to them.

Funnily enough, I have no issue with traders buying in, because they are giving you the money there and then and assuming all the risk instantly, which is reflected in the price. That's proper business.

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Mike I'm really sorry to here your packing it in, hope all goes well with the sale. Camper UK would be my choice if we were selling our Elegance but only as a last resort if all else fails. I don't know what we are going to do regarding the ferry discount now. ONLY JOKING MATE youv'e saved me hundreds over the years, your a star man and a gentleman. I wish you all the best.

Best Regards

Keith

Sussexcamper

Free Member
May 6, 2017
Bexhill
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2003
From a buyers point of view, we have purchased our last 2 motorhomes privately via eBay, first was a swift escape which was 18 months old and the second was a roller team which is 3 years old, I much preferred to deal with the owner directly, buying a Motorhome is bit like buying a house, you get a good idea how well the vehicle has been looked after by meeting the owner, you can ask all the questions you like, also your not paying extra to a middle man. Also as someone has already mentioned finance is available to everyone, and again you can get better rates by shopping around rather than using a dealers preferred lender.., again more commission for them.....Good Luck.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just caught up on this thread Mike, and really sorry to hear you are giving up motorhoming. Hope Gwen's health issues improve and that you enjoy the 5* hotel holidaying lifestyle!

Your guitar skills lit up many a cold night in the marquee for me, and your friendly, encouraging manner made me feel it was OK to stand up in front of a mic, with almost zero uke skills, and perform in front of an audience! (although I was quaking in my boots)!

Love and best wishes to you both xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back