Self levelling system price? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
We’re picking up our Burstner Elegance soon and I was thinking of getting a self levelling system put on, but have just been told that because it’s tag axel and 5 tonnes, it’ll be about £6k! Has anybody got experience and is that about right? Thanks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds about right, here’s our self levelling, somebody gave us them for nowt

D8B75ABF-BA7C-4776-8551-9175C0874021.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We’re picking up our Burstner Elegance soon and I was thinking of getting a self levelling system put on, but have just been told that because it’s tag axel and 5 tonnes, it’ll be about £6k! Has anybody got experience and is that about right? Thanks
Price seems about right.
I think we paid about £4,800 for E&P almost 5 years ago and on a slightly lighter and shorter van.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Tag axle Carthago at 5,400 kg. E&P fitted in March by SAP in Doncaster, £5,118.02 incl VAT after Funsters discount. Tag axle made no difference, as there are still only four jacks.

Incidentally, my main motivation for having these fitted is not for levelling, although that's useful, it's for jacking the vehicle up safely and simply. I recently stopped a tyre fitter about to jack up the rear with a trolley jack under the chassis extension under the garage.

Upvote 0

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
I’m in agreement about paying for auto levellers. But would say you could ask question of why people don’t just buy a bog standard cheap moho. We’re in a 11 plate auto trail that suits are needs(first time buyers too). When I look at some of the expensive a class ones people own on here I think what a waste of money!... but then again my beds comfy. My cooker cooks the same. The temp from heating is the same and the degree from water is to in the shower. The result of levellers is the same. But some people just like to have all the gadgets. We’re happy with are ramps and are van and it does exactly what an expensive a class does.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’m in agreement about paying for auto levellers. But would say you could ask question of why people don’t just buy a bog standard cheap moho. We’re in a 11 plate auto trail that suits are needs(first time buyers too). When I look at some of the expensive a class ones people own on here I think what a waste of money!... but then again my beds comfy. My cooker cooks the same. The temp from heating is the same and the degree from water is to in the shower. The result of levellers is the same. But some people just like to have all the gadgets. We’re happy with are ramps and are van and it does exactly what an expensive a class does.
It’s called choice James, it wouldn’t do for us to be all the same. I’m a relative newbie and my first van was an Elddis, which was a great van but after a bit of use we found out it didn’t suit us, we wanted a garage/more storage etc. If you notice the majority of A Class are continental vans, with more internal room and more storage space with garages, which suits a lot of users especially the retired who can go off for weeks/months at a time and will use that “space” to live in more comfortably. Have you been IN an A Class? This is my second van, it’s an Adria Sonic A class, 7.4 metres long, nothing special (although it’s very special to me) and it was all I couldn’t afford and I’m converted, I’d be very reluctant to go back to a coachbuilt.
Also lastly quite a few go Skiing for weeks on end and these more expensive A Class have double floors which keep it very cosy and warm, which in the Austrian alps at minus 15 you may have a harder, more expensive time keeping your british built Autotrail warm. So it’s not just about gizmos and gadgets it’s more about functionality and how they’re being used.

Upvote 1
Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
There is a difference. Your bank balance is better. You have less chance of it being nicked. You’d be less peed off if you broke it. It doesn’t depreciate as much. And most of all yours works. Most new van owners on forums seem to spend years returning it for something not working or leaking. Love my 2005 AT. Even gone up in value from when I bought it over 5 years ago.

Upvote 1
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
SAP have quoted me £5,507.40p fitted inc. VAT, for a Hymer S820 5.9 tonne's, which I will be taking up once I've collected the van. I'm hoping they'll knock the 40p off :giggle:

Edit: I didn't realise SAP give a funster discount I must mention that when I book it in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
SAP have quoted me £5,507.40p fitted inc. VAT, for a Hymer S820 5.9 tonne's, which I will be taking up once I've collected the van. I'm hoping they'll knock the 40p off :giggle:
Better take cash?? Which way you going??:mask::mask: :rofl:

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Tag axle Carthago at 5,400 kg. E&P fitted in March by SAP in Doncaster, £5,118.02 incl VAT after Funsters discount. Tag axle made no difference, as there are still only four jacks.

Incidentally, my main motivation for having these fitted is not for levelling, although that's useful, it's for jacking the vehicle up safely and simply. I recently stopped a tyre fitter about to jack up the rear with a trolley jack under the chassis extension under the garage.
Didn’t know there is a disco for SAP of Doncaster?.

Upvote 0

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Pretty bizarre if this is being considered as a means to change a wheel.... what's wrong with carrying a suitable jack...and actually learning how to use it properly... and whilst on the subject carrying a spare wheel also... and avoiding the embarrassment of having to call a breakdown service to come out and rescue you simply because of a flat tyre...

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi, we've had two systems over the course of 6 years, the first on our Hymer B704 which was a E&P and the current system fitted to our Carthago is a MA-VE. Both systems do virtually the same functions and both cost us £4500 ish, the MA-VE we got a £500 discount on. If you want my honest opinion, the E&P is a better system in terms of usability, functionality and smooth operation. The MA-VE is quite severe in its operation especially well lowering. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Pretty bizarre if this is being considered as a means to change a wheel.... what's wrong with carrying a suitable jack...and actually learning how to use it properly... and whilst on the subject carrying a spare wheel also... and avoiding the embarrassment of having to call a breakdown service to come out and rescue you simply because of a flat tyre...

Not everyone is fit enough to get under a motorhome to place a jack or strong enough to undo wheel nuts that have been torqued up properly. Many motor homer's are of that age where arthritis etc. can be a problem, having things like levelling jacks which can be used for both levelling, emptying tanks and changing wheels can greatly increase their confidence in continuing to enjoy their hobby as they get older.

Upvote 1

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
loads of reasons

level from inside

no dirty ramps to store

but for us best benefit lack of rocking if windy

as mentioned, easy jacking for tyre change

and my kids don’t need any more cash than they will get anyway 😁👍
'Hey, kids, we're off for another ski holiday ...'
'But, Dad, it's middle of June...'
'I know, kids, but I can still S.K.I. then, and repeat in August, as well ...' (y) :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Upvote 1
OP
OP
The Lb’s
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
Hi, we've had two systems over the course of 6 years, the first on our Hymer B704 which was a E&P and the current system fitted to our Carthago is a MA-VE. Both systems do virtually the same functions and both cost us £4500 ish, the MA-VE we got a £500 discount on. If you want my honest opinion, the E&P is a better system in terms of usability, functionality and smooth operation. The MA-VE is quite severe in its operation especially well lowering. Hope this helps.
That's great, thank you

Upvote 0

tattytony

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Having had them fitted 3 vans ago and all vans since by Mick at SAP I will never change, p.s. some of us physically challenged find ramps to hard to use so I gave mine away at a show to a happy MotorHomer.
TO The Lb's No matter where you are I would recommend going to SAP in Doncaster and ask Mick for your Fun discount and get them there you can stay in your van overnight while fitting if you are a distance away.
I have never met a more helpful and kind Motorhome mechanics than Mick and his team at SAP.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autotrail apache 637l
Exp
Being a recent Widow that wants to carry on motorhoming I feel I will have to save for the hydraulic ramps as don’t feel comfortable asking complete strangers to guide me up my ramps every time I arrive at a site and hopefully will solve this problem

Upvote 0

Lemut

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 18, 2020
Redditch, UK
Funster No
MH
Class C
Just a thought.... when the van presumably has one (minimum) wheel lifted off the ground, are the standard 'locking security nuts enough to stop the light finger breagade knicking a wheel? Is any extra protection needed to prevent theft?

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Just a thought.... when the van presumably has one (minimum) wheel lifted off the ground, are the standard 'locking security nuts enough to stop the light finger breagade knicking a wheel? Is any extra protection needed to prevent theft?
If the wheel is off the ground it would make it very difficult to undo the nuts, the wheel would just spin.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back