Seems to be to good? RESULTS!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Trikeman, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    some results for the 'too good to be true' Chinese Satnav.
    As in the other thread on the Chinese Satnav I was sceptical (to say the least) about purchasing one of the 7'' Truck Satnavs that are coming to our shores. I listened to the good points and the bad but decided to give one a punt for the money - thankfully one of our fellow Funsters sent me a concise instruction book, in English, which made understanding of the kit very easy (compared to the little book that came with it). MANY THANKS for that!
    :thumb:

Overall initial impressions????? A cracking bit of kit and I could buy 6 of these set-ups for the price of the TT motorhome and camper I was going to save for....... WELL IMPRESSED to say the least.
    :thumb:

I don't want to bore you to death but here are some initial results - on the Satnav feature only, the unit is stuffed with loads of other applications that all work as they should too.
    Firstly I set the unit to pair with my iPhone via Bluetooth which worked superb for phoning and receiving, no probs there.
    Set the vehicle parameters to motorhome and set the dimensions and weight. I then selected a route that I knew would throw up a few problems as far as dimensions were concerned and straight away the unit warned against this. I was using it in my 107 toad and went for another route I knew without dimension/weight issues for the MH dimensions, all OK there and off we went (we had another TT with us for comparison).
    Superb 3d mapping, clear voice directions, fuel garages, eateries and speed cameras highlighted also.
    I drove a well trodden route and nowt went wrong at all - the TT dropped once or twice (satellites) but this unit didn't once.
    Anyway, tried going off route towards a height restriction on a lane I knew was there and almost immediately I was warned of the impending doom..... Brilliant, then an alternative route emerged that would have got us around the issue. I turned back on to initial route (much, it appeared, to the relief of Fay the Satnav girl).:BigGrin: The screen quality is superb with the lightest of touches enabling scrolling through the navigation tools - postcodes are readily accessible (something that some said they couldn't find - under address) as are other methods. The POI's are interesting both here and in Europe, find me a restaurant, pub, fuel, sleepover all readily available to en-route or close-by.

Although this is a 'quick stab' test, I am completely confident of its capabilities, a longer term test will be forthcoming after the Xmas break. Seeing what I have so far, even with the initial ribbing I gave it, it really is a fantastic bit of kit for the money. If it lasts a year I could throw this one away and get another for several years to come before equating to the big named ones...... I could be wrong, but it is well worth the 'risk'.

I dunno, reverse engineering, copying, same as, better than, being robbed by the big boys,,,,, I really don't know how these can be delivered for such a reasonable price - the big names may feel the brunt if these and 'help' them be realistic.

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

• Like Like x 13
  2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Ebay link?

Sound worth a look.

3. Trikeman

4. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Had ours from them and equally delighted after using it here and in France this year.:thumb:

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  5. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

6. Trikeman

Direct from them, the same people. (no link, just drop them an email)

Not yet attempted to put my own on yet - that's one of the Post Crimbo jobs, I'm getting 'grief' at the moment for playing with my new toy,,,, she says.
    :Laughing:

Regards,

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Purely on the POI question. The following is a conversation I had with Navibuzz last June via eBay messaging. My questions in plain text, their answers in italics.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Great write up mate. Ordered mine last week, still waiting, (Xmas rush, I would think), anyway, got an ebay mail on Friday, from the seller 'navibuzz', saying that their new batch of 12 volt multi-plugs just unpacked, had been found to be damaged. They asked if it was OK to dispatch an undamaged one after Christmas, and they would refund £2.00 for my trouble, fine, I replied, as long as the GPS unit arrives and is OK.
    Any chance you can post either a link to this concise instruction book, or if not, inform me where I can get a copy????
    Cheers! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trikeman

Done - PM'd.

:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

What a NICE young man. Must be a social worker!! :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  11. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

We have much the same results to report as you and have also mentioned on here somewhere , in threads about these gps units . Been using ours for about a year now . Taken us around UK,France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg with no particular problems . Postcode input in UK and usually coordinates input for France etc . Ours is not the truck version , so we just set the thing to ( I think ) bus /easiest route setting. It also has an enormous built in data base of POIs for UK and Europe. EG , an A to Z of shops ,shopping malls , fuel stations , camp sites etc . You can also add your own sets of POIs .

Particularly like the journey "home page" settings options . It having quite a large choices permutations . We have the option set to show graphically and via voice guidance , full detail of the next 2 manoeuvres required . Say , 2 miles to roundabout 3rd exit , then 1 mile to next roundabout 2nd exit , so giving loads of time to prepare for reaching them .

Battery life isnt great , but it is after all feeding a 7 inch screen , so having on power during a long journey is required .

Have used tomtom in the past and use a small garmin unit for work journeys. This 7 inch unit is up beside them , if not actually better in some ways . Its not going to break my heart if the thing gives up on us . I would simply buy another one . They are now on ebay for £42.99

For Dave ,,,,,,,,,,,,, heres a link to one I bought last week for a family member ...Its not the truck version , but at £42.99 , still good value.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321271110025?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

with bluetooth from same seller £49.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOM-7-Car...ics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item4acd3f9811

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. colyoung

colyoung Read Only Funster

Could anyone please tell me what the sat nav software is ie igo,sygic etc

13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well, the unit is named igo, which seems a bit of a coincidence...

14. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Was looking for your write up on original thread. thanks so far. Ok, did you sus which set of maps are installed, 2013 ?? :thumb:

Looks like you are gonna cost me £50 or so, why didn't you say it was crap ?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

An interesting writeup Trikeman. Thanks. :thumb:

I can't find the thread or post, but freelanderuk (Chris) put up instructions some weeks ago, on how to convert Aires and Stellplatz type POIs, for uploading to these iGO software Sat Navs.

I did try searching, but didn't get any joy. :Sad:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

16. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

its in this thread Jock:Smile:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/66429-sat-nav-option-2.html

the poi file has to be converted to a kml file and then the kml files must be placed in the content/userdata/poi folder. Custom icon must be placed in in content/userdata/usericon folder
    you must then check the custom poi's in - Map Settings - Place Markers

to get the motorhome icon to show you have to opeen the kml file with note pad and insert this text

<metadata><igoicon><filename>Motorhome_Parking.bmp </filename></igoicon></metadata>
    <Placemark>Motorhome_Parking

so it looks like this when opened with notepad

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.1">
    <Document>
    <name>motorhome_parking.kml</name>
    <metadata><igoicon><filename>Motorhome_Parking.bmp </filename></igoicon></metadata>
    <Placemark>Motorhome_Parking

this would also be the same for any other poi's , change to klm file and add to the correct folder and your bmp file to the correct folder . open the klm file with notepad and insert the text below changeing any name to the name of your bmp file

<metadata><igoicon><filename>any name .bmp</filename></igoicon></metadata>

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Morning Chris. :Smile:

Yes, that's the one pal. :thumb: I didn't realise it was that far back in the year. :Eek!:

Cheers for that.

Jock.

18. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Wow !! that looks easy :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I love the look of these. Only thing holding me back at the moment is it runs on windows :Doh:

I have only just got rid of the last Apple and Microsoft devices in my van and am not sure I want to let the gits back in :Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Thanks for the review and the tech details. I think this is now on my shopping list.

20. Trikeman

More test results!

Well, we had to do the circles yesterday visiting several far flung relatives and did it all via our 'Cheap Chinese Truck' satnav - it functioned perfectly all the way, and back. My Wife was driving as I was fiddling with the gadgetry.

Impressed with the way it goes from extended 3d view when driving to the auto, overhead view when approaching any junctions, all with excellent voice guidance. The accuracy of the roadside warning signs and changes in speed limits is deadly accurate, the second you pass the speed sign for example the satnav changes the sign on the display and tells you exactly at that time of the change. Speed camera locations, especially if you are just over the limit, she gets all excited about and not only bleeps but tells you about the potential doom of being speeding. The countdown to junctions/roundabouts is progressive and accurate.

On the motorway there is a slight, and I mean slight, lag (less than a second) where you go under a bridge and the satnav identifies this visually, probably down to processing, certainly no longer than Tomtom who was sitting next to the test one.
    As time went on and it started getting dark the unit auotchanged into night view which was great on the eyes. Naturally the mountains (which were also accurate in day view) in the distance view disappeared during night mode but was replaced with a nice starry evening view - nice. One feature I thought was excellent was the terrain view which showed the distant mountains and the route meandering through the range as you approached, you can view in some detail what's ahead. I don't suppose this is much benefit if you are driving but made for a brilliant representation of the view ahead for a passenger who could take time to look around - I held the screen up just below the horizon and it was identical to what was in front - Crookes Peak (a steep lump on the Somerset levels) was spot on. I think the 7'' screen may not be liked by all (may be a little distracting) but I think you could paint the windscreen black and still get home with the unit on though - its big and although you can dumb it down, there is a lot of information for the gadget men with a touch of the screen inc services (and what's in them) a compass and directional information, speed, duration left, miles left ad a journey bar that increases as you drive.
    :Laughing:
    So far - so good, I can't fault it yet but will keep trying.

I will carry on testing this unit and keep you abreast of happenings - anyone else like to add to the test with theirs and experiences?

Regards,

• Like Like x 10