Second Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by barno, Oct 1, 2009.

1. barno

barno Read Only Funster

Hi,
    I have a problem with my 1991 Talbot Avalon, the second battery does not seem to be charging. It is flat, only showing 10v, with the vehicle running the voltage does not increase. Does it charge from the vehicles alternator directly or via the Zig CF8 unit?
    If it comes through the Zig unit does anybody know if there is a seperate fuse I can check for this circuit? I have checked the 3 on the front of the unit and they are ok.
    Any other help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
    Neil.

2. davejen

davejen Funster

Hi, Neil, if the batt is only showing 10v it is probably knackered, so won't take a charge. Take it off and put another(good) battery in its place and see if that chargesup. If it does you need a new battery!
    Sorry if this is bad news.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Even if the battery is knackered it will stuill show a higher voltage when on charge, as this voltage is that of the charger rather than the battery so it looks like a fault in the charging circuit, possibly a fuse.

As the battery has got as low as 10v with no load it will be damaged anyway so will need replacing.

Does it charge on mains hookup, if it does it may be a fuse near the split charge relay, usually in the engine compartment.

4. barno

barno Read Only Funster

Thanks for the pointers guys,
    I changed the second battery today and found an inline fuse in the positive connector, it was hanging on the battery tray and got all corroded and blown. So I replaced the fuse and holder and now all is well.
    I thought that there was on power from the second battery because it was flat but it turns out it was this blown fuse as well.

Barno.