seatbelts rear (1 Viewer)

mal6186

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Funster No
I am about to purchase camper, early nineties vintage - probably autosleeper, talbot express or vw as lots about. Most seem to have lap belts in rear if at all but I have two children who are on booster seats and would be happier if they had proper three point diagonal belts - can i fit these into vehicles like these? any advice appreciated.

OP
OP
M

mal6186

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Funster No
Therte must be people with children who have come across this before? - lap belts just not safe for children in my opinion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi mal and welcome...
you want a van with forward facing seats...usually the dinette seats...as these normally, but not always, come with full 3 point belts.

sideways facing seats and seat boosters are a definate no-no. lap belts can be dangerous in a frontal impact and with a booster cushion, even worse.

seat belts could be fitted as an aftermarket but would be rather expensive as a heavy safety frame would need to be made and secured to the chassis itself to make them effective.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mal6186

Free Member
May 29, 2010
Funster No
Thanks. Most talbot autosleepers I have looked at have two forward facing seats in rear but all have had just lap belts. Have seen a vw 'trident' i think with bench type rear seat which had two diagonal belts - guess that is best option as no way i'm puttinh kids in a lap belt, forward facing or not.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the problem is there is no real standard for seat belt mounts .you can bolt to a wood suface and pass an mot. but if a garage did it and it broke would you hold them responsible . you could have a steel frame made but why .in most volkswagens there is factory fittings in the floor or walls very often covered by trim this would allow seat belts on either side with factory fittings . though not on van convertions. as an ex garage owner we could not fit seat belts other than factory mounts as people want to make us responsible for all events. i dare say you could sign a disclaimer for the garage but surely you can fit something yourself to a standard you can accept. a mini bus seat with mounts on the seat is one way round it. .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back