Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
Newbie, but was a caravanner
Hi all, together with friends we may be planning to use the ferry to spain, perhaps end of Jan / early Feb,
knowing the bay can be rough this time of year, and suffer terribly with sickness to the extent I may not be well enough to drive far once off the ferry, so the question is what foolproof meds or wrist bands can you recomend.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I used to take over the counter pills but seem to have "grown" out of the problem in recent years. The only thing is, to work effectively you need to take first one hours before. So when using Portsmouth ferries I would take one before leaving home in Bristol. Unfortunately you cannot drive with them as they make you sleepy. I would sleep all the way from home!
Do you have another driver?

Reactions: f6c

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
When on board ,avoid being indoors as much as possible ,if you can keep your eyes fixed on the horizon,that can take away the nausia ,another sailors trick is root ginger

OP
OP
PCB

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
unfortunately my wife doesn't drive the m/home, and what makes the sickness worse is I am a very light sleeper which means I most probably not sleep through the 24 hrs crossing.

OP
OP
PCB

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
If I can persuade our friends in the 2nd van to do the tunnel, would be best plan.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I used to get travel sick years ago,,i then realised i was talking myself into it. Since then i always think positive and have never been sick since. Don't worry about crossing as out of a over 14 crossings i have only had one rough one,,,,BUSBY,,:D:D

OP
OP
PCB

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
what make of bands and where from??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry I can't help but would it perhaps be best to find a site as near to the port as possible, even wilding, and get your needed sleep as soon as possible when you arrive.
Norman.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
See if you can arrange to travel on the largest (and flagship) ferry - the Pont Aven. And a cabin near the middle, rather than back or front. I think it's main route is from Plymouth to Santander, but you'll need to check and do some research, because it's not the only ship on that route.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet/cruise-ferries/pont-aven

Avoid fatty foods before and during the journey.

We crossed from Plymouth in a Force 8 a couple of years ago and just went to bed early, but I didn't bother with medication. SWMBO took Kwells, or something similar - we were both fine. Must admit, didn't fancy dinner in the restaurant though... ;)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I am not the greatest sailor either and don't really look forward to our March crossing every year.

But I find the channel bit will be ok, never had a up and downer there, we usually eat around 6.00pm.

But once you are past the tip of France it does go Up and Down a bit.

But it will be bed time then - or nearly if you take a afternoon crossing - and when I am in bed the sea sick bit seems to ease a lot.

On entering the harbour I always find the symptoms disappear very quickly and as it will be approaching an hour from entering harbour to actually driving off I am usually back to full health.

We stay fairly locally first night and I can usually make the local bar with enthusiasm by 6.00pm. :D(y)

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
After over seventeen years of on small boats, you can be sick even on a long swell. Funnily I was never sick in really bad weather. I used a number of tactics. Always keep packets of rich tea biscuits to hand. Kind to the stomach, gives it a lining, them even if sick, you don't bring the lining of your stomach up. I swear by ginger biscuits, ginger is brilliant for settling queasy stomachs. If you feel rough, either settle down and try and sleep. Fresh air works for some, but if you are up and about, and are sick make sure that you eat some rich tea biscuits.

Most of all manage your sea sickness, it can be beaten, do not follow the horizon, or try reading.

Have a good trip.

I have been sick in a force two, and loved a force 9 or 10.

The Bay can be either flat calm or a pig at any time of the year, go for it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try to stay as central as possible on the ferry.
Centralised Front to back and side to side will reduce to a minimum any sensation of rolling and pitching.
Learnt this trick on an isle of man ferry in a force 8 back in early 70s.
Felt like only one end of the boat was touching water at any time.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We always book on the largest boat which is the Pont Aven, look on your emailed booking and see which cabin you have been given, then look on the deck plan from the website and see where it is. If it's not somewhere in the middle and low down then phone them and get it changed.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As someone who has been sick on a pedalo in 18" of water in the Med (I'm not joking) I find the only real solution is to go to bed and lie down as soon as I feel the onset of nausea.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have done the trip many times, usially on the Cap Finistere.
Our usual method is to stop on the dockside overnight so we dont have to drive in the morning amd take our sea sickness tablets at breakfast before we check in and ages before you get out past the Isle of Wight.
The tablets work very well.
As others have suggested, if you make your reservation by phone, try and get a cabin on the lowest deck possible, as close to the centre of the ship fore and aft and side to side. An outside cabin is no good if you suffer from sea sickness.
We rarely emerge from our cabin, taking the opportunity to really catch up on sleep, if the sea gets rough, the best place is lying flat on your bunk.
Of the many crossings we have done (always outward bound early January) we have only had one really bad crossing and one moderately rough so dont worry too much.
Dont leave it too late to book your crossing, the cheaper cabins always book up early.
I have sent you a personal message (check conversations) on how to get a discount.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I have sent you a personal message (check conversations) on how to get a discount.
Would it be really cheeky to ask you to let us know also. We are in Spain now but planning to get the ferry back in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If you cannot be outside for the whole journey, try laying down athwart ships. This mean across the vessel rather that fore and aft. Rocking motion is far more tolerable than pitching up and down.

OP
OP
PCB

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
Many thanks for all the advice, Q. to Makems, what tablets do you use?
and when you say stay overnight on the dockside, is this in a que for the ferry, or way before entrance to ferry port?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I use wrist bands (no idea of the brand; they appear to be very similar & put plasters behind my ears. Both work and seem to compliment each other.

This image shows the application of plasters but if you cut a standard fabric plaster into 4 a and use as positioned below.

40pcs-lot-Car-Anti-Motion-Sickness-Seasick-Airsickness-Patch-Chinese-Traditional-Herbal-Medical-Plaster-For-Preventing.jpg_640x640.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shirls going on a whale watching and fjord boat trip early tomorrow....but tonight they can't stand up in the wind, keep getting blown over if they don't hang on to something.
All Norwegian shops are closed on Sunday so can't even get any seasick pills.
God help here and just glad I aren't going.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have done the Spain ferry about 10 times I would think and only once have I felt a bit sick.

I don't know if I am a good sailor or not, I think it's just mainly been calm.

My tip would be to avoid the Cap Finistere because it a crap ship and stick to the Pont Aven

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Many thanks for all the advice, Q. to Makems, what tablets do you use?
and when you say stay overnight on the dockside, is this in a que for the ferry, or way before entrance to ferry port?

I understand you park in the queue for the ferry. I suspect you will be first in the queue.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My tip would be to avoid the Cap Finistere because it a crap ship and stick to the Pont Aven
I've been on the CF several times (as well as the Pont) and imho it's fine, a good restaurant and pet-friendly cabins. Also, the BF Enthusiasts Forum, who have experience of BF ferries probably running into the thousands of trips, say that the CF is the better "sea keeping" boat in rough seas.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I understand you park in the queue for the ferry. I suspect you will be first in the queue.
You can only park in the queue overnight if your ferry is the first in the morning. When we did that there were lots of others there too. Another good place for an overnight is Port Solent Marina which has a lot of parking space.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shirls going on a whale watching and fjord boat trip early tomorrow....but tonight they can't stand up in the wind, keep getting blown over if they don't hang on to something.
All Norwegian shops are closed on Sunday so can't even get any seasick pills.
God help here and just glad I aren't going.
On this little thing....
Can't be safe !
IMG-20170108-WA0022.jpg

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
I am very prone to travel sickness and about two years ago I used ferries to and between the Outer Hebrides islands. I used http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Adult-Travel-Bands-1-Pair-12-years-_1121524/ and also tried to sit where I was not cramped and kept my eyes on the horizon as far as possible. Don't read etc. Worked like a charm and on the first 4 hour crossing I did not feel sick at all. Good luck!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Another one here who gets really seasick but I am ok if I sit outside, no matter how rough it gets.

When we did the overnight from Hull it was really rough & took Kwells & was amazed they worked. I could sit inside , walk around & had the meals. I even managed to sleep.

Best of luck

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back