Sea Sickness Advice.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Northerner, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Northerner

Northerner Read Only Funster

I am seriously useless on a ship and could get ill on the park boating lake. I've done the Bay of Biscay twice without problems and survived by lying in my cabin drugged up with travel sickness pills. I dare not have a walk around, or a meal in the restaurant or very soon I'm talking to God on the big white telephone.

We're going to Santander at the end of next week and this time it's different. Winter weather with more chance of a rough sea and a much smaller boat than the ones we've used in the past.

Has anyone any tips? Friends who cruise say that they pay for an injection when they board and it solves the problem, but can I get one of these on a ferry that's only sailing for 24 hours?

Anyone had success with wrist bands, different pills or the afore-mentioned injection?

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I feel for you, fortunately I dont really suffer from it, never heard of the injection for the ferry but they do sell tablets at the boats reception desk which are supposed to be good.

I could be really cruel here and show you what the weather was like one time i used that crossing but i wont, suffice to say that they stopped serving all hot food and drinks and we were stuck out at sea an extra 24hrs waiting for the storm to abate so we could dock.Didnt realise the boat had so many people on it that crossing untill we got to dock and certainly wouldnt of liked to be a member of the cabin staff after that crossing.

Comming back it was like a preverbial mill pond though.

its usually better to be central in the boat rather than to one side or the other.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i doubt you'll get an injection on a scheduled ferry but your doc may help (probably just sugest travel pills)

my best advise is spend as much time as you can dead midship.

minimises the actual movement....rolling and yawing and going up and down.

worked for me on a really rough irish sea crossing.

4. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I spent 10 years in the Navy and was sick for the first couple of days every time we sailed,the only cure is to stick it out until you get your see legs and then start all over again the next time you sail

Doug...

5. Ladylea

Ladylea Funster

Hi

I dont have a problem but my husband does he used the bands last year on the Bilbao crossing and felt ok mind you it wasnt rough. He will use them again in 3 weeks when we will be crossing to Santander.

L

6. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Simples....

Eat plenty of oranges before hand. Why ?

Cos they taste the same going down as they do coming back up again.

Sorry, bad taste I know.

Peter

ps Remember, no matter how much you hope for it, you probably won't die.

7. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Sit under a tree..

ShiftZZ

8. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Mrs JayDee also is a bit, shall we say lacking in resiliance when using ferries.

She uses the wristbands (elasticated wrist straps with an accupressure button). She religiously applies them half and hour or so before sailing and (though it does sound a bit like witch craft) ahe hasn't had a seasickness incident since she started to use them. Now it could be psychological or accupressure could really work (I am NOT getting into any discussions about that - there are people who believe in fairies, ghosts and even the conservatives and there are those that say that that number of people can't be wrong :RollEyes: (Oh really!). I believe everything I read in the Daily Mail (which is true since I don't read it:BigGrin:).

But seriously, Pat swears by the wristbands for seasick control. and as they don't cost the earth it may be worth a try. If they don't work at least you'll be an expert in ships' plumbing. :Doh::Eeek:

Happy New Year anyway and enjoy at least the landbased parts of your trip.

John

9. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

If it is during the day get on deck where you can see the horizon. This gives your mind a reference point and it helps. :thumb:

10. Northerner

Northerner Read Only Funster

The only problem with this though is that I only do a long crossing (Hull/Zeebrugge, P'mouth/Santander) every year or two, so I never get the chance to get accustomed.

It's an inner-ear thing I thing. My daughter once persuaded me to go on a fairground ride called the Octopus or something and when I got off I couldn't stand up properly or drive and had to leave my car and get a taxi home. It took a day to get over it!

Let's hope that that there are no winter storms and I may be OK. I think I'll try a band though, as well as my usual pills. I've nothing to lose (except the lining of my stomach!).:Laughing:

11. buttons

buttons Funster

My first trip to sea at 16 was from London to Cape Town, I became ill on leaving the Themes Estuary and stayed very very sick for 4 days and nights. The sickness then cleared up of its own accord and never returned even in north Atlantic hurricanes and southern ocean storms I never ever felt sick again.:helptitanic:
    If you really want a permanent cure to sea sickness then book yourself onto a fishing boat for a week in the north Atlantic it will kill or cure you I promise.
    :Wink:

12. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Be aware with the pills, that can make you unfit to drive.

As to the lack of time to get your sea legs, sorry no cure that I know of, the one good this is that recovery is very fast once you get ashore.

Doug...

13. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

In the days when there was a connection we used to catch an old tub from Scrabster, or later, Aberdeen for a 13/22 hour trip to the Faroes.

The wife (having been brought up on the sea) and the kids were fine, me, at the slightest swell I was in the cabin laying down. Once we took a cargo ship off season back to the UK and from the moment we left they never saw me for four days until we were ready to lift the car off at Grimsby. All the pills in the world didn't do any good, just make you drowsy. Out in the fresh air sounds ok in theory but it's often blowing a gale and not very inviting on deck.

In recent years we have been blessed with better weather and we try to get a cabin on the lower decks and midships as has been said elsewhere. Never had problems on the odd cruise we've done and had dinner through the Bay of Biscay on the last Fred Olsen we did.

Make sure you have a cabin to escape to and lie down, boring but it works for me. :Sad:

14. sedge

sedge Funster

And when you lie down, lie with your head pointing forward and your feet aft.

15. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Went on a cruise in the Indian Ocean really badly sea sick, Auntie called the doctor and he gave me a jab in the bum and said sleep for 2 hours then go eat until you are full up. Did just that and no more sea sickness. Wish I had know to do that from the start of the cruise :Doh:

16. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Like Jenny says, raise your head ..... about three pillows and DON'T lie with your head flat.

When walking don't turn your head left or right, or look up at the ceiling or look down at your toes.... always walk straight up looking forward. If you want to look to the side turn your whole body so your head doesn't turn.

Stemeltil tablets work but you can only take them before you set off as they will make you sleepy and unable to drive when you get off the boat.

Good luck.

17. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

And if your bed faces port to starboard ask the captain to change direction, they'll usually oblige! :Rofl1:

18. movan

ROLF!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

As one who doesn't suffer :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

20. movan

I was told eat jelly for the same reason and that it doesn't have any lumps to clog on your tonsils on the way back up...:Sad: