Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
i am sure this question has been ask many many times, but here we go anyway
Still in our first year of MH'ing, but decided that we want to do Scotland this comming year (2017), up the west side with some islands included. To avoid the midges etc, what is the best time to go?
We are looking at April/ May time. Would that be a good time to go?
Any advice much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
There are quite a few Funster rally's coming up in the new year year have a look in the rally section on Fun . Regards Kate

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes thats a reasonable time to go but you can still get midges as early as April if weather is nice. Sometimes they aren't as badas you imagine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We spent 3 weeks in September travelling up the east side and back down the west. We didn't see a midge until we passed through the Lake District on the way home :)

Never saw any rain either!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sometimes they aren't as bad as you imagine.
And sometimes they are
upload_2016-12-28_21-10-5.png

But you can practice your survival technique :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/games/midgie/

Keep an eye on this :
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
Then use Smidge
https://www.smidgeup.com/

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And sometimes they are
View attachment 139552

But you can practice your survival technique :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/games/midgie/

Keep an eye on this :
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/
Then use Smidge
https://www.smidgeup.com/
My mum can be bitten terribly like she's got the measles yet I barely get a bite. As @Allan & Loren said the weather is so unpredictable you can never tell. We have been on the western islands in June and only got them one night. I would however say Glencoe seems to attract them like a magnet in most months. Stay away from there.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I tend to attract all kinds of flying bugs including the dreaded Scottish midgie, but have only been "got" badly at Loch Garten RSPB, Cannich at the head of Glen Affric, Skye CCC and, as you say, Glen Coe CCC; but I do use Smidge (which I've found to be like a force-field) and of course have a midgie-net for my head and lightweight gloves that will pull over my cuffs. Long trousers, tucked into socks. Warmish weather, near standing water, is heaven for the little darlin's, especially at dawn & dusk. Plan around that. Don't camp near a stream or anywhere boggy or marshy. Hope for a stiff breeze. Then you can wear shorts & t-shirt!
The area's stunning @Nigel L and not to be missed even with midgies around. You'll love it.

Upvote 0

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
orkn58-turquoise.jpg

I've twice done The Outer Hebrides and Orkney by motorbike and independent hostels and it's high on my list for a motorhome trip next year. It was seeing a Globecar at the beach airport at Barra that made me interested in motorhomes again.

I only found the midges a problem once, it's pot luck really. If there's a breeze they all get blown away.

My reference page at Horizons Unlimited has a lot of links and downloadable waypoints and routes for Western and Northern Scotland, Hebrides and Orkney. The first photo above is Harris on the Outer Hebrides.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the replies.
Are they only a problem if close to fresh water? Or do they like salt water as well. ie, if right on the coast, will they still be an issue?

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the replies.
Are they only a problem if close to fresh water? Or do they like salt water as well. ie, if right on the coast, will they still be an issue?
I have never had a problem on the coast during April/May, too windy :xgrin:. Inland not too bad either until June and as mentioned, Glencoe can be dangeroooos as can Loch Lomond. Standing water is the favoured location for them or around the loch edges; I learned that lesson quite quickly during a walk along the West Highland Way. Personally, I would avoid Late May to Early September because I can think of nothing worse than my holiday being spoiled by having to wear a head net, long sleeves and trousers tucked into my socks and not being able to sit out in the evening if the weather is fine. Been there done that, no more! Further, I would hate for my pooch to be constantly attacked by the little blighters. We are staying on the East Coast of Scotland during the summer and will venture to the West in April/May and October. This is my experience / plan and I am sure there will be loads of other experiences to be shared soon by others. Good luck and enjoy :xThumb:

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
As a born and bred Scot who lives on the banks of Loch Leven I can tell you that the only time I've EVER been bitten by midges is in September immediately after rain on a calm day beside a river in Sutherland while salmon fishing. April/May should be fine as it's still a bit cooler up here than "daan saaaf" and to answer your question: they are found in coastal areas as much as inland. They are far less prevalent in breezy conditions (which is pretty much anywhere and anytime in Scotland).
The best deterent I've found so far is Avon "Skin so soft", something in it repels them.
You know what they say," if you worry, you die and if you don't worry, you die, so what's the point in worrying?"
Come on up and be stunned by the majesty of a beautiful country, enjoy wild, wide open spaces and don't give the midges a second thought.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Be especially wary of Isle Of Skye midges, they leave everlasting tracer elements in your blood, that light you up like a flashing neon "free food" sign that only midges can see.
For years I walked, camped & fished in both Cumbria and Scotland, including Glencoe & Oban Divers sites, watching others getting eaten whole by clouds of the wee beasties and very rarely got a single itch from them.
Then my parents retired to Skye and during my first summer visit to their home, my parents moved indoors in the late afternoon, advising the rest of us to get inside because of the midges. Knowing that I was naturally immune to their bites, I stayed out and emptied the car, while the rest of the family cowered indoors !
The next day, every bit of my exposed skin looked like I had had a severe attack of measles and was tormented by the itching for the remainder of my stay.
Ever since, I am singled out and attacked at every opportunity by the flying terrorists.
In fact, sitting here typing, with outside temperatures hovering around freezing point in the fog, I wouldn't be surprised to see one in a winter coat waiting for me to go outside :xrofl:

On a more serious note, Avon Skin So Soft works for me too !

Upvote 0

Bjorn Toulouse

Free Member
Jan 8, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Van Convertion A Class
Exp
i'm a newbi
May June is the best time to go IMHO.
midges love the damp and warmth = July August
The weather tends to be nicer tail end of may and most of june.
cant remember last april

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back